MAZDASPEED 3 CAI Gains Comparison Depot

camrycev6 said:
Maestro, these are with the MS CAI installed.

Speedy, unfortunately, as I mentioned in a previous thread, I did not have time to get my car dyno'ed when it was still stock. I realize I cannot give percentage gains over my original configuration (stock), but at least I have some final numbers to provide. I have all the humidity, temperature, etc., data, so we can certainly get an idea of the environmentals when comparing to another stock pull. I have the software and can plot just about anything you guys would like. Just let me know....like the A/F mix. Notice it goes below 10 (off the graph) I have no idea how low it actually went... interesting.

That's what I thought, just needed to be sure. Thanks

The A/F ratio is all over the place. I can't believe how lean it is in the lower rpms and how rich it is up high. Thanks for the graphs.

dread said:
The A/F ratio is all over the place. I can't believe how lean it is in the lower rpms and how rich it is up high. Thanks for the graphs.

It always is. Doesn't matter which car you use, if your using a tail pipe sniffer it's going to look similar at lower RPM. Putting the O2 Sensor in the O2 bung up front will read a slightly richer A/F down in the lower RPM range but across the rest of the tune it's it's going to look identical. Conclusion there - not worth the trouble to place it in the bung on most cars.

http://www.bristoldyno.com/tech/airfuel.htm

o2sensor.jpg

I was there for those dyno runs. That was a supercharged 02 GT with weak injectors, probably 370 hp at the wheels if I remember correctly.

jflash,

I am confused by your signature file. Are you saying your stock dyno numbers are 272hp and 287tq? That is more at the wheels than the car does stock at the crank. What gives?

Here are my dyno results. Also on a Dyno Dynamics machine. I hope the size is not too large for this post. Note only mod is MS3 CAI.

Attachments

• DSCF3916.JPG
    DSCF3916.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 731
chaos4 said:
Here are my dyno results. Also on a Dyno Dynamics machine. I hope the size is not too large for this post. Note only mod is MS3 CAI.

Interpretation of the Dyno? It can't be 239.0 max HP as I'm seeing another line going up to ~280HP or is that the TQ?

camrycev6 said:
jflash,

I am confused by your signature file. Are you saying your stock dyno numbers are 272hp and 287tq? That is more at the wheels than the car does stock at the crank. What gives?

they take off the front wheels and attach the dyno to the hubs. i know the dyno sheet says flywheel but it is at the hubs. i thought it was adding hp to guess the flywheel hp but the dyno guy said its not.

i know to most these numbers seem high or fudged. the dyno guys were floored by the results.

in a comparison, when i did my stock dyno they were finishing up a WRX. it had upgraded turbo,injectors,ecu tuning,full tbe and intake. it put down 271 on the same dyno.

I was a little bored this afternoon, so I scoured the net for as many dyno's on the MS3 as I could find. From those I decided to use just dynojet dyno's to do a little statistical analysis. I analyzed those that were stock and those that only had a CAI. Here is what I found...

I used data from the point the car first made 200ft/lbs and when it dropped below 200ft/lbs. I also compiled data on the max horsepower and the RPM in occurred at.

Stock

Average peak horsepower was 242whp @ 5600rpm

Average Crossed 200ft/lbs at 2800rpm and then at 5700rpm

CAI

Average peak horsepower was 260whp @ 5600rpm

Average Crossed 200ft/lbs at 2800rpm and then at 6100rpm

camrycev6 said:
jflash,

Because of the spike at the end of the run, which was likely a hiccup with the throttleplate. It is NOT an accurate run, and the dyno operator should have done another run to "backup" the numbers with repeatable ones.

The exact same thing happened on his intake run, but at the lower rpm. It goes to show how peak numbers really do not give a good indication of actual output.

ok. so lets see your dynos. what type of dyno do you operate? mabye i should have used the butt dyno like everyone else.

here are all the stock dynos. the exact same thing happened on all 3 runs.

mazdaspeed3dyno.jpg

Disappointing run

Are you ready for a dissapointing run? This is with a Mazdaspeed CAI.

Attachments

• MyDyno.jpg
    MyDyno.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 799
CTGrey02 said:
You were also using SAE correction so those environmental stats shouldn't matter. That thing is still rediculously rich. I was just at the dyno yesterday helping a friend with a supercharged 05 V6 stang and his A/f was almost a perfect 11.5 (still pretty rich but generally regarded as safe) across the entire RPM range. These cars really need a better tune.

Unfortunately this is seeming to become a pattern with Mazda factory tunes as of late. They did the same thing with the RX-8. Stock tunes above 7000 rpms go off the bottom of the charts. The first tune I did on my RX-8 I had to lean it out over 13% just to get the values on the scale (software didn't read an AFR below 10:1). Now, on the RX-8 one of the reasons they did this was due to the new CAT laws (which also attributed to why MNAO had to restate the HP numbers for the RX-8). I believe starting in 2003/2004 the government mandated CATs needed to last somewhere near 120k miles where before it was around 80k. By making it run rich up high, the unburnt fuel got dumped out the exhaust ports to cool the CAT substrate (not unusual to see exhaust temps of over 2000 degrees on an RX-8, track days up near 2500 degrees). In some cars, leaning out the AFR netted 30-40 rwhp, and this is on an NA engine.

I'm wondering in Mazda's testing if they found the exhaust temps produced by the 2.3 DISI Turbo motor were on the higher end and would wear the CAT sooner than normal. The rich tune is why people are going to see large gains on CAIs. Any increased airflow will lead to a leaner mixture, which any leaner mix on this car will produce sizable gains.

Ferdball said:
Are you ready for a dissapointing run? This is with a Mazdaspeed CAI.

Looks about right to me.

I'd also like to know for dyno results submitted in this thread (past and future) if the hood was opened or closed during the dyno runs and which gear the runs were done in. I went to a dyno day this weekend and one of the other guys with a Mazdaspeed 3 dynoed his car on the Dyno Dynamics dyno and it showed right around 200 HP at the wheels with the hood open. We were puzzled but I didn't think about the hood open or close thing until after his car was off the dyno. He was also using 5th gear.

When I get around to putting mine on the dyno, I'll be sure and do some runs with the hood closed and some with the hood open to see how much difference it makes, though I suspect it made a big difference in his runs since the hood was open and the only fan running was a small one blowing on the radiator.

Last edited:
did u guys reinstall the tire shroud right inbetween the wheel and the intake? ive had mine off since the install, just wondering because a lot of the pictures ive seen have been without it.....

Other then power/torque, how much of an MPG difference does this intake make? Does anyone have that information from their experience?

It helps with fuel mileage some, I am still only averaging 21.7 mpg i have 1800 miles on mine but my miles are 90 city/traffic, and 10% open freeway. Plus I drive hard almost all the time

Back