Mazda5 Sightings...

Hey, the_saint. I'm in Omaha too. I'm looking at a dark gray sport with auto at Woodhouse. Where did you get yours? Any tips on getting a good price? Feel free to email or PM me if you want.

Charles J P said:
Hey, the_saint. I'm in Omaha too. I'm looking at a dark gray sport with auto at Woodhouse. Where did you get yours? Any tips on getting a good price? Feel free to email or PM me if you want.
Hey hey!! Another Nebraskan!!! Good to see you on here, hope to see you on the road someday (rockon)

you've got PM

Saw a Greensilver Met. one a couple of days ago. That's only the third time I've seen one ever, and the first time since I bought mine. But I have a feeling it's the same one I saw just before I picked mine up, so that probably makes only two others in town. I kind of enjoyed the exclusivity at first, but this is too much. If I was still living in a city of 30K people then I could understand it, but not in here in Colorado Springs. Is Mazda just testing the waters to see if the MZ5 fits into a viable North American market segment or what?

nexs666 said:
...I kind of enjoyed the exclusivity at first, but this is too much. If I was still living in a city of 30K people then I could understand it, but not in here in Colorado Springs. Is Mazda just testing the waters to see if the MZ5 fits into a viable North American market segment or what?
I hear ya, and I agree. I have yet so see any advertisement of the 5, I've heard of a couple of magazine ads, but no TV. It's like they are ashamed of the 5 or something. I'm beginning to wonder if I will ever see the 5 on TV. I would think if the commercials started flowing, more people would buy...but what do I know.

Are people worried that they are going to drop the model? How bad would that suck that we all get stuck with a single model year car? Or does that just not happen due to sunk costs in R&D etc.

Even if Mazda drops this model, or even if this will be the only year they will sell the mazda5... that will be fine with me. It's not like we're stuck with an ugly ass vehicle. The only drawback i think is the lack of aftermarket parts that will be available.

And it's not like the mazda5 hasn't been around anywhere else. It sold pretty well in europe and asia, just cause it didn't sell well in the US it doesn't mean it's not a good quality vehicle. I just think it's good you don't see it everywhere... it's unique, people tend to admire it more coz they don't see a lot of it.

I don't think they'll drop the car. I just don't think they're pushing it in the NA market. These things are suppoosed to be selling like hotcakes in Europe and they are also pretty popular in Japan as well.

My personal opinion is that the MazdaUSA people aren't sure if the 5 will go over well in the States due to the American love affair with "bigger=better"...just look at all the SUVs.

to my knowledge they are not going to be "pushing" it until stock levels & manufacturing have returned to normal. In Canada, the wait time is still quoted at 5 months at most dealerships - there are lineups for this vehicle everywhere. Why spend $$ running ads when it is already outselling production?

ps - why on earth would they drop it? it is A) getting good press and B) selling like crazy. Kind of a strange conclusion to arrive at simply because you haven't seen any driving around.

(eyeballs)

Yeah, I wasn't trying to push that point of view, I picked up that they weren't manufacturing at all or at full capacity right now and misinterpreted the reasons.

Got mine in late December. Still have not seen any on the road here in San Diego. (rockon) I'm special. (hi)

I vaguely recall seeing a TV ad on here in Canada at around the time the recall was anounced. It must have been yanked pretty quickly. I think it also featured the Mazda3??? I only saw it twice before it disappeared. I thought they'd be hyping it much more post-recall, but I think you're right, pbdave, Saint: Why advertise when there's a 5mo. waiting list?!

I'm sorry to hear about the long wait up North, although it is encouraging to know that they are selling well somewhere. But I'm seeing them sitting on the lots at both local Mazda dealers here. I've even seen that dealer's ads on TV and they were pushing every model they had except the 5. I simply can't imagine that more people in the US wouldn't find this to be an ideal family vehicle given fuel costs, traffic congestion, lack of giant-sized parking spaces, etc. But, yeah, you are right, saint. Most people in the States still haven't been able to realize that their suburban assault vehicles are way more than they really need. Maybe some day...

The dealership where Saint got his and I'm going tomorrow to test drive again with the wife this time told me they have sold 15 total. They have about 6-8 on the lot right now, even split between sport and touring and a mix of auto/manual.

I just spotted a Carbon Gray, Sport, Auto in Omaha... in my garage. I also noticed that there is already a small chip in the trim around the radio and have had poor luck getting dealers to do anything about minor cosmetic flaws in the past. Does anyone have any ideas on how to touch it up?

Charles J P said:
I just spotted a Carbon Gray, Sport, Auto in Omaha... in my garage. I also noticed that there is already a small chip in the trim around the radio and have had poor luck getting dealers to do anything about minor cosmetic flaws in the past. Does anyone have any ideas on how to touch it up?
Congrats!!! (thumb)
Don't know what to tell you about the chip. I have noticed that fingernails make nice little scratches around the knobs though (pow)

the_saint said:
They're great. I'll never go back to halogens again!

I'm dying to get one but we're low on funds right now. So i decided to pick up some silverstars off ebay for $15... and i have to say they're pretty good. For the hid dreamers like me, try em silverstars, it'll work for now.

Back