Mazda5 is friggen awesome... longevity?

we just bought a 2010 m5 with 40,000 miles, sounds like according to this post we will have to replace the rear shocks at some point... what signs will i look for? ive done lots of work on all my past cars but never replaced shocks. what will it sound/feel like?

We have the 215 width tires and the LR wheelwell was coming down so far over bumps that it was(is) gouging the outside of the tire. No bouncing, but the bumpstops are hit over any bump taken at speed, paired with the tire gouge.

2010 Mazda 5 - Rear Shocks - ha

13564 miles (on Michigan roads) barely 18months old - wifes car
Both rear dampers (shocks) replaced under warranty yesterday
This is very poor even for Monroe shocks ...

(note my 993 21,000 had to replace - Bilsteins)

2003 Protege 5 (winter car)
2007 Mazda 3 (UK car)
2010 Mazda 5
1997 Porsche 993 (my mistress)

I have a 2006 Mazda 5. Aside from the fact that I had to deal with 3 major TSBs for a first year model, I have had no problems with the car. There was a rear wheel tire wear issue with the first two model years, but it hasn't been a show stopper for me. The 06 honda civic had the very same issue, but I think Honda handled it better than Mazda, because Mazda didn't handle it at all. I have 81000, and the car still pulls like it came from the showroom. I'm taking it on a 1500 mile road trip next month in the desert, and I have no concerns at all.

I saw the latest model 5 in the showroom yesterday, and it's better than the outgoing 5 in almost every way, except for the styling. The sliding doors are even easier to open, and they have a silkier feel. The quality of the interior is WAY better. They made significant improvements on interior - materials quality and more importantly, touch points. The sterring wheel and rotation of the climate controls feels expensive. The seats also have better support. They improved the front seats, so that they more comfortable on long trips. They have better arm rests on the first two rows.

I personally like the 2.3L better, but the 2.5L is Just enough to make the car more driveable without having to resort to the tiptronic to gain power when the car is loaded. They also resolve the rear tire wear issues.

Would I buy the new one? Yes. Why? Because all in all, the new model is mechanically and practically better in almost every way. The platform is the same and demensions and size are still the same, which is a good thing. It's also become a better car for long trips.

Sounds great except for one thing: the new redesign of the 5 is butt- ugly. All that was beautiful in the lines of the 5 is lost. Now it looks like a mini-minivan.

I have a 2007 M5 GS (affectionately known as the Finif) with 125,000 km on it. I bought it used in early 2008. On the whole, it has been an excellent vehicle--but of course some issues. The sliding doors have given me grief in the winter (freezing open more than once). I have put 2 sets of tires on it in 100,000 km--quite excessive. Everything works well in terms of engine, electrical, etc. However, the suspension is not great--very creaky and not great on bumps, rr tracks, etc.

What would I change (beside the suspension and sliding door issues)?? First of all the HVAC system isn't as strong as it could be--not helped by lack of rear vents (a deficiency that I know has been addressed in later models) Also, I wish I had gotten a GT--I miss cruise control on long highway trips.

Anyway, I plan to keep the car til it dies--no real choice, and realistically I can't afford to get anywhere near the same car new. (though I gotta say Mazda has a way to go to match the value Hyundai puts in their cars)

Back