Mazda5 is friggen awesome... longevity?

My wife drives a 2006 that we've owned since new. She loves the car and isn't fussy. I love it too but have to admit that it has been pretty crappy compared to the norm for Japanese vehicles. For 2006 there were several bulletins for suspension bushings and sliding door issues. It's been in the shop many times and never really has been fixed. Now it's going back for a suspension problem, probably a bad tie rod or ball joint. Overall it just feels like it has way more than the 45k miles it really has. Most of these design issues have been fixed on newer models but I still wouldn't expect a Mazda5 to be like a Honda or Toyota. That being said, I would still buy another one in a heartbeat. It's a perfect match for our wants and needs (family of four with two kids, both drivers like manual transmissions.)

My wife drives a 2006 that we've owned since new. She loves the car and isn't fussy. I love it too but have to admit that it has been pretty crappy compared to the norm for Japanese vehicles. For 2006 there were several bulletins for suspension bushings and sliding door issues. It's been in the shop many times and never really has been fixed. Now it's going back for a suspension problem, probably a bad tie rod or ball joint. Overall it just feels like it has way more than the 45k miles it really has. Most of these design issues have been fixed on newer models but I still wouldn't expect a Mazda5 to be like a Honda or Toyota. That being said, I would still buy another one in a heartbeat. It's a perfect match for our wants and needs (family of four with two kids, both drivers like manual transmissions.)

It won't because you expect it to not. Perception is easily the vast majority of reliablilty. If you perceive its not built as well, you will treat it differently and make your prediction true.
After having all TSBs done to our 5, we have gone for a year 1/2 without any issues. True, i am ignoring the sloppiness in the rear suspension, which is prob 1 or both blown shocks, but I figure I will address that w/i the next few mos and replace w/diff shocks to alleviate the problem. My Honda needed annual (or more) preventative attention, so its smooth sailing for me.

Mazda5 2006 GT, we are keeping this car until it kneels down to the ground when the rusts take over (i.e. its how our buick 86' skyhawk finaly died. The 2012 features is attractive, but then I have come to know the 2006GT. I bought the workshop manual and will be getting the Wiring diagram. Maybe setup my tools again in the garage. I'm looking forward to weekends spent in the garage with friends and beer. Just like the good old days. The swirl marks, alloy wheel gashes, little dings are proudly displayed as 'battle scars'.

And like the other poster mentioned, I expect to replace the shock absorbers and maybe the bushings.

we just bought a 2010 m5 with 40,000 miles, sounds like according to this post we will have to replace the rear shocks at some point... what signs will i look for? ive done lots of work on all my past cars but never replaced shocks. what will it sound/feel like?

oh and the sliding doors, the doors on ours sounded very loud and grindy.. the dealer cleaned out the track and greased the wheel or bearing that slides and its sounds perfect, you might try that if its getting loud

Ours was obvious when it happened on a road trip, the rear end became bouncy and oil was evident in the wheel well. And that was with only 1 rear shock.

Sorry, late to the thread. I agree with the other '06 posters. Pretty much all of the common issues (sway bar bushings, shocks, power door lock actuators, motor mount) we've had too, plus our clutch master cylinder needed replacing.

I haven't been terribly impressed with the build quality of the 5, but now that it's all fixed, the 5 does still drive like it's new, other than some dash creaking when it gets cold. I don't doubt the 5 will last, but it will need some care along the way.

My 2006 just passed 80k miles, and am on 3rd battery, 3rd set of tires, 2nd set of shocks, 3rd set of swaybar bushings, 2nd set of motor mounts, 2nd AC compressor, 3rd sliding door lock actuator, 5th set of headlights.

My 2006 just passed 80k miles, and am on 3rd battery, 3rd set of tires, 2nd set of shocks, 3rd set of swaybar bushings, 2nd set of motor mounts, 2nd AC compressor, 3rd sliding door lock actuator, 5th set of headlights.

5th set of headlights? We haven't replaced ours.

I have a 2006 and aside from having the TSB's done. the only repair work has been due to normal wear. rear shocks (both) and brakes (127,000 fronts and 145,000 rears)....

Hi Was98strat, I have a 2006 too. I'm still at 74000km. But I do notice the vehicle being a little bit 'bouncy'. Have you replaced the front shocks too? Or is it normal for the rear to wear much earlier than the front?

in my opinion, mazda under spec'd the rear dampers on the mazda5 and thats why they wear out to fast.

Wow man sorry

If this is not a lemon than what is. That's why I paid $2000 extra for a full 5 year bumper to bumper because I am sure that replacing all that stuff that you have replaced gotta cost at least a couple grand.

Hi Was98strat, I have a 2006 too. I'm still at 74000km. But I do notice the vehicle being a little bit 'bouncy'. Have you replaced the front shocks too? Or is it normal for the rear to wear much earlier than the front?

I havent replaced the front shocks yet, but I just noticed that my front left one is now leaking oil so it needs to be replaced. Not bad for 164km!!! Odd thing is that even with the left fron strut blown. I havent noticed a decrease in the ridequality or cornering!!

over all I'd have to say that the parts on the Mazda seem to last FAR FAR longer than any North American car I've owned. I dont thrrash it around, but I'm not the most gentle driver either!

I havent replaced the front shocks yet, but I just noticed that my front left one is now leaking oil so it needs to be replaced. Not bad for 164km!!! Odd thing is that even with the left fron strut blown. I havent noticed a decrease in the ridequality or cornering!!

over all I'd have to say that the parts on the Mazda seem to last FAR FAR longer than any North American car I've owned. I dont thrrash it around, but I'm not the most gentle driver either!
The Mazda5 shares and sources a lot of mechanical parts from Ford suppliers due to their partnership before the split (but don't tell anyone). Perception > Reality

Last edited:
The Mazda5 shares and sources a lot of mechanical parts from Ford suppliers due to their partnership before the split (but don't tell anyone). Perception > Reality

That probably explains why you don't hear the "Found On Road Dead" jokes anymore about Ford!!! and why their stock has soared over the last number of years! They learned something from the partnership!!

That probably explains why you don't hear the "Found On Road Dead" jokes anymore about Ford!!! and why their stock has soared over the last number of years! They learned something from the partnership!!

Agree! I've always been a closet Ford fan but now can proudly acknowlegde it! Ford has been partnering with Toyota as of late to learn/share about quality control and hybrid tech. Go Ford!

I have an '09 GT navi. I lubed the rear sway bar bushings myself in about 15 minutes to keep the idiot dealer out of my car. Other than that, with 31,000 miles, we have only had the power steering recall done. I had the tranny flushed at 26,000 at the dealer and I change my own oil with Valvoline SynPower 5W-20 and OEM filters. So far so good. I plan to keep this car for quite some time.

*EDIT* Oh, and I changed the junk Toyos out for Michelins the second day that I owned it. It had 95 miles on it. Obama hadn't had a chance to destroy my financial status yet so I had the money then to just get rid of the Toyos. I couldn't do that now. In fact I can't buy a new car now. Thanks Barry!

Last edited:
That's why I paid $2000 extra for a full 5 year bumper to bumper because I am sure that replacing all that stuff that you have replaced gotta cost at least a couple grand.

LOL! I bought the extended warranty too, but have yet to have to use it...

Some issues are to be expected when you are an early adopter of a brand new model. (My car was one of the first few that had arrived in California back in 2005). There have been alot of TSB's, and a few recalls as well, but I still enjoy it more than any other manufacturer I have owned. The dealers are still the weak spot for Mazda, and not their products.;)

Last edited:
I have an '09 GT navi. I lubed the rear sway bar bushings myself in about 15 minutes to keep the idiot dealer out of my car. Other than that, with 31,000 miles, we have only had the power steering recall done. I had the tranny flushed at 26,000 at the dealer and I change my own oil with Valvoline SynPower 5W-20 and OEM filters. So far so good. I plan to keep this car for quite some time.

!

The rear swaybar bushing is easy. How did you lube the Front swaybar. I looked at it when I changed the oil (crawling under), I have no idea how to access that swaybar busing in the front. Is it possible without a lift? All I could do is shoot a spray of silicon lubricant until the whole thing got soaked. lol. but I think it worked.

Back