Mazda3 Maintenance and warranty

Liuc

:
'08 Mazda5, '09 Lancer
Hi, everyone!!!

I'm considering a 2014 mazda3 Gs. I need some clarification regarding Scheduled maintenance and Warranty.
Canadian Schedule requires an oil change every 8000km or 4months (whichever comes first). And it requires a fully synthetic 0W20 oil.

What happens to warranty coverage if i chose to do oil change at 8000km mark instead of 4months? I usually do 12000km a year - equals 1 oil change a year, instead of 2 (3 next year) if followed 4month schedule. Can Mazda void the warranty saying that I didn't follow 4month maintenance schedule.

I 'm a little concerned about mazda3 being assembled in Mexico and not in Japan. Red too many horror stories about VWs from Mexico. No more GS models left in Canada that were assembled in Japan.

I don't believe new Mazda 3s will be from the Mexico factory until June. But I wouldn't worry - it's a brand new factory and Mazda is overseeing everything.

Don't know about Canadian warranty.
Mazda has started production in Mexico (and China also).
It is just too expensive to produce vehicles in Japan.

Check the VIN's first letter to make sure it is "J" if that is important to you.
And, I agree to your worry.
When Nissan first made Armada in a new factory in US, for the first couple years, the assembly quality was bad.
Over-tightening, missing bolts/pins, etc. You name it.
It happens with new factories. Not unique to Mexico.

Thanks guys for replies!

I do like the new 3 and probably going to pull the trigger. Yesterday I was at the dealership and all models had vins starting with "3" (Mexico) accept GT trim. I did like most of the things in 3 over competitors. Just that Mexico thing is a little worrying. 25k isn't pocket change, at least for me.

Anyway I drive mazda5 and it's been great. That's what brought me to Mazda again (redesign as well).
Can anyone chime in regarding warranty question? I looked after my 5 as per recommended schedule except I was disregarding "by Month" schedule. Since 5 is still rock solid I didn't have a chance to deal with warranty department ( I don't really want to :) ).

When your vehicles are within warranty, you have to follow what the Owner's manual says.
Otherwise, you are looking for troubles if anything goes wrong.

The last time I went over the interval was with my old Nissan Versa and the dealer never really said a thing to me. Not sure if its the same case with Mazda dealers. I'd do what ceric said, go by the book for the duration of the warranty.

Also, I've been getting a lot of mixed information about maintenance especially regarding oil changes. Two dealers told me every 5k yet when I got to the mymazda website and put in the necessary information such as how many miles of driving I do on a daily basis, it says every 7500 miles. Any thoughts on this?

Recall the Toyota engine sludge problem many years ago.
Toyota asked owners to show proofs of maintenance.
Otherwise, repair was refused.

It's simple, really, ceric covered it. Follow the owners manual. Not the dealers recommendations, not some website, the owners manual. No, you cannot exceed the intervals listed in the owners manual. It is relatively low cost - just do it!! If you don't follow the owners manual, and the engine dies (internals, not the fuel injectors or computer or something) then you *may* be asked to prove that you had the oil changed at the right intervals. It rarely happens, but can, as, again, ceric covered.

The dealer wants you to get oil changes every 3,000 miles, so they can make money. The dealer has nothing to do with the warranty - that is Mazda. Therefore, they really don't track the maintenance, they are not your mother. :)

Follow (or exceed) the owners manual.

Dealer found a Japanese assembled one and I bought it! I will follow all maintenance requirements according to owners manual. I'll take it for maintenance my self, since last time my girlfriend took Mazda5 for an oil change, Stealership wanted to do $1200 of maintenance "repairs". Good thing She called me before agreeing. I went to another for a second opinion and find out nothing was due nor required except oil change and filters. Just wondering, do they think females are easy target for a cash grab? Is it common in states?

Anyway thanks again for your input!

Back