Mazda3 Air Horns (pics and video with sound)

AMTRAK!!!! but yeah 6 has 2 electric Manly man horns located behind my newly open mesh grilling that I made even louder by doing so. every time I double tap the keyfob people jump back and yell cause I didn't give them ample warning(laugh)
If I had those I don't think they would even talk to me anymore.

Last edited:
Exactly. With that weenie horn, even I didn't want to talk to me.

I like the freight train sound, though. I've got it tied to key-on power which stays active for about 10 seconds after I shut the car down. Plenty of time to double-tap the lock button. (evil)

I'm thinking about switching it to constant power but if I do that, then if I ever lose air pressure, the compressor will kill the battery in pretty short order (it draws 12 amps). If I'm feeling motivated, I'll switch the actual horn solenoid to constant and leave the compressor with key-on. (shrug) We'll see.

goldwing2000 said:
Exactly. With that weenie horn, even I didn't want to talk to me.

I like the freight train sound, though. I've got it tied to key-on power which stays active for about 10 seconds after I shut the car down. Plenty of time to double-tap the lock button. (evil)

I'm thinking about switching it to constant power but if I do that, then if I ever lose air pressure, the compressor will kill the battery in pretty short order (it draws 12 amps). If I'm feeling motivated, I'll switch the actual horn solenoid to constant and leave the compressor with key-on. (shrug) We'll see.
All I have to say is you had to be shure about your manhood before blowing the horn at someone in my neon. Horns aren't supose to go "Meeeeep"! how do you have it set up now? it isn't on an aux switch/button setup? leaving it on after turning the car off....guess it would make it easy to find your car in a crouded parkinglot or torment people who walk by.

I have it wired to work with the regular horn but I have a disconnect switch set up so I can disable it (for what reason, I don't know (evil) )

Tormenting people who walk by is exactly why I would hook it to B+ power. (laugh)

styles_t said:
the train air horns are loud as hell - one of my friends have train air horns and its scary

My dad has them hooked up - mind you, he has a 32ft coach bus, which has on-board air... jackass loves to honk 'em when I'm walking by. (boom08)

goldwing 2000 said:
Nope. We only have one stock horn and it sounds like you're squeezing a clown nose. Listen to the video I posted. It has the stock one first and then the replacement for comparison.

Would it be possible to wire up another electric horn in addition to the stock for a little more oomph? I'm trying to save up for the wife's "needed" bedroom suite, then it's 'Hello Performance Parts'.

Bart

bvmazda3 said:
I'm trying to save up for the wife's "needed" bedroom suite, then it's 'Hello Performance Parts'.

Bart

Just bought a new dryer tonight instead of a Eibach pro-kit and a CAI. Damm priorities.

Loose said:
Just bought a new dryer tonight instead of a Eibach pro-kit and a CAI. Damm priorities.

I hear ya, buddy - I hear ya. Well we were going on a road-trip to see her in-laws at the end of next week, but we decided instead of racking up the credit cards and spending our meagre savings that we would go on a low-budget camping adventure for 10 days closer to home, and buy most of the bedroom suite.

Her fave phrase lately is, "Once we get that bedroom suite, we'll have the money saved up for the car parts 'in no-time-flat'". I dunno what the hell that means - I've never heard of flat time, but I guess it's a bad thing.

Bart

Edit: At least I don't have to meet the rest of the in-laws! ;)

Alright! So i just went to the parts store and asked for the cheapest and loudest horn they had. The gentleman pointed me to the FIAMM Freeway Blaster (low-tone - 130db, 405 Hz) for $20 CAD.

You guys think this will compliment the current MeepMeep sufficiently? Does anyone know (or think they can estimate) the tone frequency and db's of the current horn?

Will it matter if i mount this thing in front of the radiator?

Is our setup a single or dual wire setup? Can I just tap the current power wire of the OEM horn?

Whoo! So many questions! So excited!

Bart

That's bloody cool!!!! Me want, ME want!!! seriously I want that soo badly, damn just the other day this soccer mom cut me off at a stop sign, I honk and she just looks at me and goes off like nothing happened.

Loose said:
You may not have lowered the car but you did lower the center of gravity of your butt.;) in du e time you will have your springs.

Let us know how that horn goes...a few protege guys go to parts dept and get the Mz6 factory ones...If you are ever at a meet...as one of the sixers to blow it(Horn...(no) ) for ya.

bvmazda3 said:
Alright! So i just went to the parts store and asked for the cheapest and loudest horn they had. The gentleman pointed me to the FIAMM Freeway Blaster (low-tone - 130db, 405 Hz) for $20 CAD.

You guys think this will compliment the current MeepMeep sufficiently? Does anyone know (or think they can estimate) the tone frequency and db's of the current horn?

Will it matter if i mount this thing in front of the radiator?

Is our setup a single or dual wire setup? Can I just tap the current power wire of the OEM horn?

Whoo! So many questions! So excited!

Bart

It's got to be better than stock.

No problem mounting in front of the radiator. Just make sure it's not touching.

Factory setup is single-wire, case ground. Should be an easy install. If you have some electrical skillz, you should wire it directly to the horn relay. If you don't feel comfortable with that, you can just tap off the horn wire. You might lose some juice but it will work.

I'll see if I can dig up the dB/freeq numbers somewhere.

goldwing2000 said:
It's got to be better than stock.

No problem mounting in front of the radiator. Just make sure it's not touching.

I put it there, but I think I might play around with final placement (angle of horn, height) to see if it makes a difference in output. Was easy to mount, though!

goldwing2000 said:
Factory setup is single-wire, case ground. Should be an easy install. If you have some electrical skillz, you should wire it directly to the horn relay. If you don't feel comfortable with that, you can just tap off the horn wire. You might lose some juice but it will work.

Cool! Now I took a lookee at the relay, but I'm unsure how to find out which of the terminals is outputting power to the horn. The way I see it, there will be at least 2 contacts that are putting out 12V, one into the relay and one out. I dunno how to tell the difference.

goldwing2000 said:
I'll see if I can dig up the dB/freeq numbers somewhere.

I tested the horn out with power directly to it briefly, and according to my ear-dyno it is a LOT lower and somewhat louder than stock. I think it's too low and quiet to be used by itself, but the two of them should work out perfectly!

Bart

Edit: Whoops picture had one extra terminal than in reality... corrected.

Attachments

• relay - corrected.gif
    relay - corrected.gif
    1,005 bytes · Views: 921
Last edited:
bvmazda3 said:
Bump ...

Nobody can help? :)

Bart

No offense... but if you can't figure it out then you probably shouldn't be digging around inside the PDC.

Just a thought. (dunno)

goldwing2000 said:
No offense... but if you can't figure it out then you probably shouldn't be digging around inside the PDC.

Just a thought. (dunno)

Well, thanks! That was a great reply! Some of us would like to gain experience, but don't have the resources available (wiring schematics, etc) to be able to find an answer.

Thanks for being so helpful! I think you're right! I'll just stop everything I'm doing, because I'm unsure how and won't EVER learn!

Bart

P.S. I DID in fact try to gain more knowledge about mazda relays. Thanks for the elitist info!

Last edited:
Like I said, "NO OFFENSE..."

Ease up, man. I thought about that reply long and hard before I wrote it because I had a feeling you were going to get pissy about it.

I'm not being elitist. Or a smart ass. All I'm saying is that if you don't know how to determine which wires do what on a simple 4-wire relay, then there is a pretty good chance that you're going to hook something up wrong and possibly fry part of your car.

I didn't have any resources available (wiring schematics, etc) when I was hooking anything up in my car. Just the owner's manual, a multi-meter, experience and lots of patience.

You obviously know how a relay works. It shouldn't be a big trick for you to figure out which wire is the switched output. In the time it would take me to go down to my car, disassemble the PDC and figure out which wire I tied into, you could have done the same thing yourself and would have gained that much more knowledge and experience for having done it.

I'm just trying to have people become more independent in their repairs.
Call it a quest. It bugs me when somebody (not saying you) wants to do all kinds of things but doesn't want to learn the how and why of doing it. Theory is just as important as operation.

Since you've gotten so bloody upset about it, I'll give you a hint:
Follow the horn wire up. It will be the same color.

Fair enough. I just re-read my post, and realised I was being an ass-hat.

I must apologise for being pissy. Having a bad day and taking it out on others is not one of the most admirable things that I could have done.

Thanks,
Bart

I also found this site which carries a train horn setup, and which gave me the idea to put in mine. If i had the space to mount the tank, I might consider it.

Back