Mazda want more CX-5 sales in the USA?. Make it a bit wider and longer

Yea, Im not waiting in line for gas to save a few cents. Time is money.

That's fine for anyone with more money than time, but for some people, those few extra bucks make a difference.

Since Dave Coleman lurk here, one more thing: change the location of the sunroof switch. Bring it down near the center console by the e-brake or somewhere else easily reachable with short reach. And no glossy anything that will reflect on to the windshield or the mirror.

And make it so the accessory stays on after shutting off the engine until I open the door or some period of time so I can still listen to music roll (all) windows up/down and open/close sunroof. That is probably one of my biggest pet peeves with the Mazda.

Might as well add hands free (foot assisted) option to the lift gate also. Plus add a button to the key fob to open the lift gate also. Just to open the lift gate only so that it can be opened for somebody else from a distance to load/unload stuff. Don't know if it already on the 19 model year.

And, (I*m sure the 2020 CX5 is going to address all of the concerns mentioned in this thread, and it will be cheaper too!) .

Might as well add hands free (foot assisted) option to the lift gate also. Plus add a button to the key fob to open the lift gate also. Just to open the lift gate only so that it can be opened for somebody else from a distance to load/unload stuff. Don't know if it already on the 19 model year.

And, (I*m sure the 2020 CX5 is going to address all of the concerns mentioned in this thread, and it will be cheaper too!) .

My 2019 GT Reserve has a lift gate button on the FOB.

Regarding the foot-assist option, there's a thread around here citing an aftermarket product that turns a manual lift gate into a power lift gate, and it comes with a foot switch. I don't know if that switch might be available on its own as an after market add on without buying the entire upgrade kit, but it's interesting to note that there is at least one out there. After a few months of ownership, I've also thought it would be a nice-to-have.

And make it so the *accessory* stays on after shutting off the engine until I open the door or some period of time so I can still listen to music roll (all) windows up/down and open/close sunroof. That is probably one of my biggest pet peeves with the Mazda.

I've noticed the same thing. I also have a 2005 GMC Canyon and that's how it works...the radio continues to play until I open the door. It's funny what you get used to. Sometimes I want to hear the end of a song and don't want to sit there with the engine running while I put up the sun shade.

Yup the last 2 Fords and VWs Ive owned worked that way as well. I use that daily. How many times Ive had to restart the Mazda for a window or sunroof...... [emoji849]

I've noticed the same thing. I also have a 2005 GMC Canyon and that's how it works...the radio continues to play until I open the door. It's funny what you get used to. Sometimes I want to hear the end of a song and don't want to sit there with the engine running while I put up the sun shade.

Try this: put in in park, then hold the lock release button while you hit the ignition. You are now on ACC.

But yeah, ACC power + windows really should stay on until the driver door opens.

Try this: put in in park, then hold the lock release button while you hit the ignition. You are now on ACC.

But yeah, ACC power + windows really should stay on until the driver door opens.

What "lock release" button are you referring to?

BTW, think more people will actually use the sunroof rather than forget about it if the switch was nearer and within quick reach.

Lock release :

https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-5/cx-5_8ft1ee17b/contents/05300201.html

I learned about ACC mode here on the forum as well. Didn't read manual.

Man, I looked in my manual and the only reference to Lock Release is for the steering wheel adjustment. You gotta put the hyphen in there for the Shift Lever Lock-Release. Thanks for the reference.

By the way, here's the manual I downloaded for my CX-5. Some of these manuals that are in English are not for the North American model. If you click on "Visual Search" on the left-hand side of that manual you linked, then go to the "Interior" pull-down, you will see two options: Left-Hand Drive Model and Right-Hand Drive Model. There are other feature differences. Here is a link to the top-level page that contains other manuals for the North American CX-5. They are all in pdf format, so you can Right-Click the link and save them to your hard drive.

And the main thing stopping me from using the sunroof is the certainty that one day I will leave it open and it will get rained in. I've had a convertible, a car with t-tops, and two other cars with sunroofs. I know what I'm talking about. I pine for a "You Left Your Sunroof Open" warning light or buzzer.

Last edited:

Thats just tricking it to think its not in park. Then I have to push start twice to turn it off again. I dont really think thats intended as a feature.

And the main thing stopping me from using the sunroof is the certainty that one day I will leave it open and it will get rained in. I've had a convertible, a car with t-tops, and two other cars with sunroofs. I know what I'm talking about. I pine for a "You Left Your Sunroof Open" warning light or buzzer.

The GTI will send me a push notification if I left the sunroof open (or window or car unlocked) and lets you know if there is rain in the forecast.

The GTI will send me a push notification if I left the sunroof open (or window or car unlocked) and let*s you know if there is rain in the forecast.

Really??? How does it send the notification (meaning what does it use as a cell account to make that call/text)?

Man, I feel old asking this question. The answer is likely obvious to a large portion of the folks here.

Its a push notification to the VW app and yea I believe there is a cellular modem in the car (using Verizon). Its kinda like Onstar and has an SOS feature. Also in case of an accident it can automatically call emergency services.

It*s a push notification to the VW app and yea I believe there is a cellular modem in the car (using Verizon). It*s kinda like Onstar and has an SOS feature. Also in case of an accident it can automatically call emergency services.

That's a cool feature, Onstar and SOS, I want no part of in my car, though....

In other electronic news, Mazda is said to be doing away with touchscreens...

And make it so the accessory stays on after shutting off the engine until I open the door or some period of time so I can still listen to music roll (all) windows up/down and open/close sunroof. That is probably one of my biggest pet peeves with the Mazda.

Agree! This frustrates me!

Back