Mazda specific OBD2 reader recommendations?

I own a 2023 Mazda CX-5 (Gen 2). I am looking for any recommendations for a Mazda specific OBD2 reader.

On older cars, a universal reader sufficed, but new cars are very complex and I imagine Mazda has some make/model specific codes for proprietary systems/components.

I would appreciate any info regarding OBD2 readers that has Mazda specific capabilities. I am considering standalone readers as well as bluetooth/iphone apps.

edit: 1

I just did a bit of web surfing, and options range from $15 to $1000+. Considering the reader will spend most of it's life tucked in the back, next to the spare tire, I would like to consider options up to $100. I will probably have to settle for a universal reader at this price point.

edit: 2

Forscan seemed to be the only ios app with Mazda specific codes. For ios compatibility Forscan recommends OBDLink MX+ adapter. The Forscan Lite app is ios compatible, but has mediocre ratings at the app store. The OBDLink MX+ website claims they have their own built-in app and access to OEM specific databases. I have no Idea how it compares to FORscan's Mazda specific info. In the past I have successfully used OBDlink USB hardware to a windows laptop.

The OBDLink MX+ is $139 on Amazon. Going directly to the OBDLink site and agreeing to receive emails, nets you a 10% discount. I paid $125 +tax, free shipping.

TR

Last edited:
Guide ATF Drain/Fill

Just an FYI that, if you have a Windows laptop, you can get the Forscan live data tool up and running on it for as little as $20. Forscan currently offers a free download of their software for Windows, and you can buy an inexpensive OBD adapter to read TFT (and a whole lot more as well). The Forscan doc states that they no longer support the lower-priced adapters, however they still work just fine for the simple stuff. This is a very easy and inexpensive way to get TFT the way the manual says to do it. But as always, your vehicle your choice.

I'm frankly amazed that they're giving away such advanced functionality, and suspect that will end someday soon. So IMO it would be a good idea to copy the downloaded installation file to whatever storage media you like to use. I have a couple of copies of that file squirrelled away, just in case.

I own a 2023 Mazda CX-5 (Gen 2). I am looking for any recommendations for a Mazda specific OBD2 reader.

On older cars, a universal reader sufficed, but new cars are very complex and I imagine Mazda has some make/model specific codes for proprietary systems/components.

I would appreciate any info regarding OBD2 readers that has Mazda specific capabilities. I am considering standalone readers as well as bluetooth/iphone apps.

edit: 1

I just did a bit of web surfing, and options range from $15 to $1000+. Considering the reader will spend most of it's life tucked in the back, next to the spare tire, I would like to consider options up to $100. I will probably have to settle for a universal reader at this price point.

edit: 2

Forscan seemed to be the only ios app with Mazda specific codes. For ios compatibility Forscan recommends OBDLink MX+ adapter. The Forscan Lite app is ios compatible, but has mediocre ratings at the app store. The OBDLink MX+ website claims they have their own built-in app and access to OEM specific databases. I have no Idea how it compares to FORscan's Mazda specific info. In the past I have successfully used OBDlink USB hardware to a windows laptop.

The OBDLink MX+ is $139 on Amazon. Going directly to the OBDLink site and agreeing to receive emails, nets you a 10% discount. I paid $125 +tax, free shipping.

TR
I have the same question. I'm considering getting a Bluedriver OBD2 scanner based on Mazda support (on their site) and overall reviews/ratings I've read. Would love to get others input based on their experience with OBd2 scanners on CX-5's (as we've got two of them)...

I have the same question. I'm considering getting a Bluedriver OBD2 scanner based on Mazda support (on their site) and overall reviews/ratings I've read. Would love to get others input based on their experience with OBd2 scanners on CX-5's (as we've got two of them)...
See post #2 above.

See post #2 above.
Thank you very much. I now see one can order the FORscan recommended OBD2 USB scanner for the lowest entry way to collect the data (Vgate vLinker FS on Amazon is $35). So when combined with the free Windows FORscan app it sounds like the best inexpensive solution for Mazda vehicles. Appreciate that help/input...

Thank you very much. I now see one can order the FORscan recommended OBD2 USB scanner for the lowest entry way to collect the data (Vgate vLinker FS on Amazon is $35). So when combined with the free Windows FORscan app it sounds like the best inexpensive solution for Mazda vehicles. Appreciate that help/input...
And @edmaz is the man!

Where are you finding the Vgate vLinker FS on Amazon for $35? All I find are $60.

Nevermind, I see there is a corded version of the vLinker FS for $35.

Last edited:
Trying this https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) clone and iPhone app Car Scanner on my 2021 CX5.
Iphone connects to the scanner just fine, however the scanner fails to connect to ECU.
I tried the simple EOBD and it failed, SKYACTIV fails as well.
Is the problem with the device or scanner or car?
This approach worked on my previous cars.
PS will try FORscan tomorrow
Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 3.11.22 PM.jpg

Tried FORscan and it didn't see my scanner
Tried switching ignition on/off and Car Scanner managed to connect to ECU via D-Max gen 3 protocol
I don't see any error codes though, I was hoping to see something related to the message that popped up temporarily on car dashboard once after urgent braking
It went away and never came back but it's scary enough to expect to be present in ECU in some form
The message is still present in MyMazda app

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 11.17.06 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 11.17.06 PM.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 46

I have Bluedriver but to tell the truth, I haven't messed with it all that much. Mainly because I don't have any problems, or I should say, my vehicles don't have any problems, therefore, I don't either.

That said, the wired Vgate vLinker FS looks interesting. I like the idea of using a wired adapter connected to my laptop.

I'd like to see a comparo between the two adapters.

When I owned a VW I loved using the RossTech (wired) adapter with my laptop. VW allowed a lot more customization via this adapter than Mazda does. A LOT more. Plus, the diagnostics that were available then. As an example, my Jetta developed a bad wheel speed sensor and by connecting the RossTech to my laptop and going for a lil drive. The device logged the output from the speed sensors and then the thing told me exactly what was wrong and which sensor had gone bad. $20 later it was fixed.

Back