Mazda Scan Tool? Forscan

Hi all first post here!

I’ve been researching scan tools for my ‘17 CX-5 GT. Looking for Bi-Directional Control for actuation test, service functions like ABS bleed etc…

Tried out Forscan with a Vgate Vlinker adapter but I’m not really seeing a whole lot of this functionality. Looks like the As Built Data mapped out is somewhat sparse. I’m not sure if Mazda doesn’t have a lot of this functionality as it is or if it’s just the tool/software? I’d imagine they must!

Also considering the VXdiag with Mazda IDS but it seems a little sketchy/pain to get software working with the “patch” has anyone used this?

Then there is a something like the Xtool D7 and D8. These are much pricier to have for use in just one car.

Any experience? Thanks!

I'm no expert on ForScan but I use the app with the bluetooth VLinker to scan and monitor things. I did buy the hardwire cable to hookup to a computer as well (although I haven't hooked up with a computer). As I understand ForScan, that (hardwire cable/laptop) is what you will need for the deeper functionality you are looking for.

Yep, I got the hardwired adapter recommended by Forscan and a license for the PC version of the software which is needed for programming. There is not much to actually program though other than what’s already available in Mazda Connect.

I’ll probably try this VC2 china clone adapter next before spending the bucks.

I have an Autel MK808. At $419, it may be more than you want to spend, but it absolutely is a wonderful piece of kit. Good for way more than just Mazda, too.

Check out the new X-Tool bi-directional anyscan a30m.

$219 USD on Amazon and does most, if not everything the D7/D8 does except program keys. It uses a Bluetooth dongle that connects to your own tablet or phone and software is downloaded via play store app on them. Same software as on the D7/D8. Best of all, it is free lifetime updates. Pay once for the unit and done. There is absolutely no other scan tool with that many features at that low price on the market. It's equivalent to the $800 tool for Uber cheap.

Curious about bi-directional tools that can actually program and actuate. Lots of things can read

Very familiar with use of Techstream for those uses on Lexus/Toyota

The Car Car Nut did a good comparison of the XTool A30m, D7, and D8.

A30m is definitely one hell of a bang for the buck! That is really tempting, although if the live data update rate is as slow as the Elm328 Bluetooth adapters I may just go with a D7. It would almost pay for itself with one lost key fob. And The D8 adds Programming ecu but hard to justify

Autel Mk808 looks nice too and close to the D7.

Just glad there are finally some really capable budget options on the market!

I have a D7 and used it on a few cars, including a gen 1 CX5. There's a ton of features, most of which I have no use for because my CX5 is so reliable :). It even has an odometer correction function but I don't know if it works. Many menu items are just there, even if your car doesn't have the capability.

Back