Mazda replacing my Turbo.

Loose

:
CX-9/Mazdaspeed 3
I noted that at 36,500 mi that i was getting excessive smoke from the tailpipe. After some investigation I discovered that the turbo seals were likely the cause. I took the car to the dealer and after some troubleshooting they agreed. The turbo replacement was ordered and they just called to inform me that it is finished. I am looking fwd to getting the car back.

Any advice? Does the turbo need breaking in? I will inquire with the dealer when I go but the forum has always been a great resource so I was looking for some opinions.

BTW. 2007 MS3, Stock with regular oil changes at dealer with 5W30.

I would just like to say that my dealer has ALWAYS been great regarding my service and that they covered it under the powertrain warranty.

You did well by having dealer oil changes with the recommended intervals, oil viscosity and weight. I remember a TSB from Mazda about turbo replacements on our vehicles and they wanted oil change interval receipts before discussing warranty replacement. This is why I let the dealer change my oil. They are also nice enough to let me bring Mobil 1 oil and will meet any dealership coupons within a 50 mile radius.

The dealer will inform you don't go WOT until up to operating temps and to let the engine idle for @ 1 minute after hard runs or long freeway travel to let the oil lubricate and cool down the turbo.

As of August 18th. No more oil change requirements according to the service manager.

yeah i would take it easy for a couple hundred miles. mazda replaced my turbo at only 15000 miles. been fine every sense. BTW i wouldnt use mobil1 oil. its way too thin and will actually make your engine burn more oil. I use castrol 10w40 its thicker, cheaper and adds a cushion effect on a molecular level, this is why most race cars use regular oil. u may loose 1-2 hp compared to synthetic but its better for your engine in the long run. just make sure and change it when your suppose too cause it will wear out alittle faster than the synthetics.

As of August 18th. No more oil change requirements according to the service manager.

I have the latest Aug. 18th TSB. Oil change records ARE still needed to replace turbo. What he must have meant is that Mazda has stopped requiring that they try the synth. 40w oil before replacing turbo.
You still need to show proof. Maybe some will get lucky and find a cool service manager but I have not been that lucky.

so, if you purchased the car used and don't have all the receipts/proof of oil changes I guess you are
SOL

so, if you purchased the car used and don't have all the receipts/proof of oil changes I guess you are
SOL

Yep. That's exact situation I'm in. Bought the car with 28k miles and no oil change records so dealer says "Mazda will not approve it so I won't even call them." TSB says that oil change records must be recieved BEFORE the Mazda rep comes to approve the replacement. No receipts, no turbo.

I'm going to try another dealer and hopefully they will have a shred of integrity. Every motherfucker reading this knows that the oil change intervals have nothing to do with this turbo smoking.

This kind of BS is why I bought mine new, and have every single oil change receipt right in the glovebox. I have already gone down a similar road when I bought a used toyota avalon and it smoked like hell @ only 34,000 miles. I had the toyota dealer I bought it from do every single oil change, and they tried to say my car sludged up from lack of maintenance. Which I retorted with well then your service department isn't doing there job, since I purchased the vehicle as toyota certified used, and the toyota dealer did every single oil change, This must mean your service guys don't do their job. Ended that argument real quick.

i bought mine used with 24,000 and a clean carfax and reading this i plan to keep the oil change receipts but buying it used do you think they would try and screw me saying i dont have any proof from before i got the car?

Carfax doesn't detail maintenance history. And yeah, a corporation and it's representatives may try to avoid costly warranty claims, that's not new. Go in as prepared as you can be, expect resistance, don't lose your cool and you might work something out.

Back