Mazda may expand its partnership with Toyota

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
Mazda may expand its partnership with Toyota to help it build a fuel-cell vehicle

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2015/05/mazda_may_expand_its_partnersh.html#more

Currently Mazda and Toyota have a partnership that is giving birth to the Mazda 2 based Scion iA. Now it's being reported that Mazda and Toyota are currently discussing plans to expand their partnership, which would give Mazda access to Toyota's fuel-cell and plug-in hybrid technology.

Although neither company has confirmed the results, but it's also being reported that Mazda will give Toyota access to its SkyActiv gasoline and diesel engine technology. Mazda has been trying to develop a fuel-cell vehicle on its own, but according to sources it's decided to team up with Toyota who is set to launch the Mirai fuel-cell vehicle later this year.

It's being reported that the two companies will reach an agreement on the partnership soon.

IMO it's a waste of time, money, and resources. Hydrogen is created through electrolysis, which requires an large supply of electricity. This electricity would be better used to directly charge a battery pack in an electric vehicle. Otherwise, you have to source the original power (through coal, wind, solar, hydro, etc.), use it to split water to create hydrogen, and then use this hydrogen in fuel cells to convert it to electricity again to power a vehicle. A lot of energy gets wasted in this process of converting energy repeatedly. Fuel cells, while interesting in theory, are most likely going to be a dead-end technology as plug-in electrics advance.

I hope Mazda doesn't waste too much time on this technology, and instead focuses on more lucrative endeavours.

A partnerships has been suggested for some time. This isn't surprising, as Mazda struggles to maintain resources and capital as a small underdeveloped automaker attempting to produce and engineer new, inventive ideas and technology.

I honestly think Mazda should keep the Skyactiv engines/gearboxes to themselves. Let Toyota in on the lightweight body/chassis tech, sure, but the engine tech alone has the other brands against the wall. I can see why they would consider collaborating, but the major risk factor is people buying even MORE Toyotas, even if they are rebadged/rebodied Mazdas. The Scion iA is already too much sharing, in my opinion. I'm willing to bet that it would handily outsell the identical Mazda2 sedan, if they were sold here, simply because it's got Toyota branding behind it. It pains me to think that someone would rather go out and buy a Toyota or Honda simply because of their reputation for being the most dependable cars, when Mazda is building a far superior product in EVERY segment. More effort goes into building a single Mazda than goes into a hundred of the other beige appliances on wheels, yet nobody seems to notice and settles for what they think is the better option. Who knows? This venture could really help Mazda. I guess as long as they stay in business and continue to create amazing cars for the discerning people who really care, however few of us there seem to be, I'll be happy.

Last edited:
Back