Mazda is advertising CX-5 models without Cylinder Deactivation and i-stop

I live in Stoplight hell. You seriously would not believe how long some of the lights are in my town. I actually don't mind Start/Stop in town.

I just bought a '24 preferred as well in early March. The VIN number is the way to tell. An M in the 8th digit position means it has CDA and an L means it does not. If you don't have I-stop you don't have CDA...
OK, I'm confused. Our 2019 CX-5 does have an M in the 8th digit position, so it has CDA. But it does NOT have i-stop, which from your statement says that it doesn't have CDA. Was that a typo?

OK, I'm confused. Our 2019 CX-5 does have an M in the 8th digit position, so it has CDA. But it does NOT have i-stop, which from your statement says that it doesn't have CDA. Was that a typo?
That statement was referring only to the 2024.

I think they might use all CD and i-stop parts they have for builds made for EU market where we don't have also Turbo engines due to emission limitations.

My 2024 CX 5, Preferred turbo, has Y in the 8th space. 10th space is R. I believe R stands for 2024.

The build date on the door is 11/23.

What does the Y stand for? No i-Stop, thank you!

Thanks

I just bought a '24 preferred as well in early March. The VIN number is the way to tell. An M in the 8th digit position means it has CDA and an L means it does not. If you don't have I-stop you don't have CDA... Also, the fuel monitor screen will show a front end of a CX-5 with the 4 cylinders going on and off as the CDA engages. Mine does not have that screen.
I think Mazda owes us some $$. :) We paid for something we didn't receive as standard equipment in to 2024s!
How do you know this? I called Mazda USA, and THEY couldn’t tell me if my 2024 CX-5 had cylinder deactivation, after I gave them the VIN. My car was made in 10/23.

I just bought a '24 preferred as well in early March. The VIN number is the way to tell. An M in the 8th digit position means it has CDA and an L means it does not. If you don't have I-stop you don't have CDA... Also, the fuel monitor screen will show a front end of a CX-5 with the 4 cylinders going on and off as the CDA engages. Mine does not have that screen.
I think Mazda owes us some $$. :) We paid for something we didn't receive as standard equipment in to 2024s!
Where does your info come from?

its from Mazda dealer sales docs. Its valid.
You called Mazda 1st level customer support which often times dont know much about the technical stuff.

Just check your Vin for L or M....or easier see if you have istop button or not.
10/23 most likely have CD but its around that time when they stopped producing with CD due to some part shortages.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see if the units without CD and istop really get 10% worse economy as claimed (23/29 vs 26/31) in the real world.
Where's the 10% worse claim.

Maybe I'll regret it, but I have a hard time mustering concern over the CD on my 2018. I enjoy watching the real time MPG go into coast mode.

It's possible that if I were planning on keeping this car for 20+ years like my Acura, I'd feel a little differently.

Where does your info come from?
It's in Workshop Manual
I don't have that particular North America VIN section but from European specs this is the decoding:
2.0 engines and Diesel aren't sold in NA and 2.5 Turbo doesn't have it. If you check Mazda USA new 2024 models 8th place VIN #, they're all L, compare that to any previous year.

European (L.H.D. U.K.) specs.
VINKF.png

Back