Mazda does it! 274HP 2.3L

Mazda3hatchback said:
Hey guys I was over at my old car website FBODY.COM. They were talking about the new mazda6speed and were cracking up saying it will be quick but not as fast as their cars. Its ugly over their. The also were talking about the V6 camaros taking out the MAZDA6 V6 cars. I honestly think the Mazda6 would beat the camaro V6. I used to have a camaro and it was slow.

And the reason behind this post is "WHAT"!! (headshake (headshake (headshake (dunno) (headshake (headshake

prlinding said:
Alrighty then.....how many times can I post one friggin comment.....sorry fellas.
I'm posting from my sidekick II and I'll get a browser time out and I won't know if it posts or not.

no worries, prlinding. I fixed it up for ya.

I would love that engine in my 3 ...

Might have to put those NA or Boosting plans on hold for the time being ;)

the motor in the MS6 is NOT the same motor that is in the 6i and the 3s. same "basic" block design, but that is about it.

Car & Driver said:
Power is supplied by a revised Mazda MZR 2.3-liter DOHC 16-valve four...

It'll bolt into the same holes. That's all that matters.

i'm disappointed in mazda for not making more horsepower out of the 2.3 liter engine. mitsubishi manages to make 276 out of a 2.0 liter and mazda can't make more than that with a 2.3? what gives?

It's a trade-off. Fuel economy and engine longevity for horsepower. Since most people (and the government) are more concerned with fuel economy, the engines are not tweaked to their full potential.

The fact that you can plug a computer modification box into a diesel pickup and double the hp is testament to that fact. Even the Ferrari 3.0 liter Formula One engine is rumored to produce about 860 hp but it only gets about 3mpg and has to be rebuilt after every race.

the MS6 uses direct injection. you will have to redo your intire fuel management systems and ECU and wiring harness.

When I demo them, I'll be more than happy to post about it... The AWD won't hurt drivetrain losses as much as some of you think, either, since it's not full time AWD. It's really only used when accelerating froma dig or when too much power is going to the front. I don't think it'll be as parasitic while accelerating from a roll and $28,000 isn't a bad price for a nice car that'll put most sedans in the same price/size range to shame. The best part is that they'll be heavily discounted in a year, like the other Mazdaspeed products so far... Miata and Protege were $6000 under sticker after a year.

The Mazda speed 6 has already been track tested by enthusiasts in Europe, and they are all saying the same thing, It is a understeering b****. The front lets loose very easily on high speed bends.

That's a let down.... On the plus side, the 6-speed automatic in the 6 V6 is really nice... except that the manual mode takes forever to shift gears.

OK after taking a few week hiatus from just completely venting on every thread that has MS6 in the title to breathe, read the B.S. reviews and collect my thoughts...I'll say this...Car is heavy...wheels are too narrow for the weight increase...awd is a safety feature that kicks in way after you plow thru turns/damn near spin out and the car decides when it should use the 3 settings to turn it on. Oh and forgot to mention its heavy as fawk.

2.3 is still clasified as a MZR and shold bolt up...the tranny used is a 6 speed manual...not the stock 5 speed we Mz3s/Mz6i are sharing now. the awd is from the 2.0 european Mz6 wagon so thats why it's not all the time on the 2.3 turboed speed 6. Also due to the mods to the frame it won't "directly" bolt up to the 3 especialy with the length of the rear driveshaft. You really don't want your 3 to be as heavy as my 6 now do ya...
(doh)

So as for launches on awd setup... awd isn't a factor casue it's not active (100:0 ) and you trade the one spinning wheel launches for a heavier lsd'd car with restriced exhaust launching. If the speed 3 with just FWD had this engine it would handle way better than the speed 6. The 2.3 makes a real big difrence over the 3.0 in the Mz6 cause it is ligher on the nose(seing the engines sit soo far front of the car) making the Base model 6i out handle the 6s. Hell i'l even go farther in dept than that...the ligher weight of the 6i mtx makes is as fast as a 6s ATX! This is why we scream for a 4cyl its too heavy! another reason you don't need the awd setup of the speed 6 on your 3 cause think about it... Subaru all the time AWD>Mazda Experimental AWD. If you are the average joe blow who never ever "Spiritly driven" their car to the point to have lost the rear end or even spun out on the track or live where it never snows then you are paying for and carrying the extra weight of AWD that you will never use.

Later down the road when someone wrecks you could bolt it in using the stock (Mz3) mounts IIRC but not shure about tranny or front drive axles just yet. seing it is same block it "could" bolt to the other tranys but not shure how long it will take to rip 'em apart. make shure you have all the electricals(harnesses,pcm and misc items), radiator and a hood with scoop cause the speed 6 hood is taller than our stock one for clearance and to feed "ram air to george forman inter warmer". I really understand their "we don't wanna put a scoop on a mazda 6" additude but not lets make the lower grille 2X's the size than the last years 6 and not use a Humongo FMIC setup. I see the air being pulled thru the Honda accord grille but...what about the heat rising from behind the radiator and cooling fans in motion and stand still?

The speed 6 looks good from the inside out with all those features but at the same time all those features killed the Zoom-Zoom. I really hope mazda sits back and takes notes for when they toy around with the speed 3. reason most of us flame the speed 6 is it was held to a extremely high pedestal by saying it was gonna kill STi's and Evos. Who takes a ligher engine, turboes it, and tuns back around weigh it down? For having the speed badge it should be alot faster than a V6 with minimal bolt ons. As for sales..it's a limited production and alot of people(not majority of forum members) already reserved it cause they heard how much we love our cars and now this ones has speed badges on it. Who doesn't wanna walk around chead poked out ars on hips "superman style with wind blowing the cape" boasting I have a MAZDASPEED? Thats why it will sell. For the rest of us...I see alot of people trading their 6 for a Speed 3 if mazda doesn't ruin it...again!

If you buy a MAZDASPEED 6 and never drive it like a MAZDASPEED vehicle than I really don't think the enitre post above applies to you...enjoy your new vehicle! Take good care of it and come autocrossing with ous one day!

check the rest of the forum my friend, there are NUMEROUS posts about this very same topic, and the one common answer is NO! NEIN! NYET! NON! NEGATIVE! focus engine parts are NOT common to the mazda 2.3. The top ends are completely different from what I understand.

Airman Jack said:
check the rest of the forum my friend, there are NUMEROUS posts about this very same topic, and the one common answer is NO! NEIN! NYET! NON! NEGATIVE! focus engine parts are NOT common to the mazda 2.3. The top ends are completely different from what I understand.

You also are wrong. The intake manifold will be a direct bolt on, out than that the only mod that has been confirmed to work is the Balance Shaft Delete.

I would screw buying a MS3 from the dealer. More fun, get a 2.3L sedan, turbo that b**** and customise a new layout to mkae it RWD. That would be more fun. And aim for 300 WHP

Back