Mazda CX-5 vs Mazda 3

Am I the only one that likes the current 3 better then the concept? 8D

3 all day long. Maybe even a 6.

The 3 is better looking, gets better mileage, has better handling, is less expensive, is easier to drive at the limit (ie emergency situations), etc etc etc.

If you're not worried about sitting up high or needing that extra cargo space, there is no reason to sacrifice all those things, in my opinion.

Unless you need/want AWD.

No. I am not fond of that concept either. Looks...odd.

Not overly fond of the current either. Just not my thing. The Speed3 hatches looked alright as did the regular 3 hatches of that gen. In my opinion of course.

Unless you need/want AWD.

Yep, that too.

I've also heard folks mention that the AWD is probably working more than we think/observe it is

Last edited:
The concept would be adding a gas cap cover, shark fin and I really don't think the side mirrors would be DOT approved. So it would look a little different with added things that would be needed on the road.

The concept would be adding a gas cap cover, shark fin and I really don't think the side mirrors would be DOT approved. So it would look a little different with added things that would be needed on the road.

Like I said last page...

Kai obviously wasn't a 'production' version of the design but yes, based on that design. I'd wager we'll hear more at the LA show in November with a likely early/spring 2019 release date.

What's your time frame?

gallery_01.jpg

Production model will likely have more ground clearance, smaller wheels, more wheel/fender gap, real mirrors etc but it's probably not THAT far off that 'general' design.

And I've seen Mazda quotes that they'd be looking to make AWD available in the next gen 3 and 6 as they continue to push the brand up market.

I'd imagine they'll add some glass/take away some metal on that C pillar as well. But really, the overall shape isn't vastly unrealistic or indeed even that far off the current model in it's 'sleekness'.

I tend to agree, but am waiting for the production version and keeping my fingers crossed as I think it will be a better car in some important ways. BTW, I also think the gen 1 CX-5 (with the exception of the front end!) is better looking than the replacement. I miss the side sculpting of the earlier model. Slab sides just don't do it for me. This trend doesn't bode well for Mazda IMO. Then again, the next gen 3 may be one of those designs that looks better in the flesh than in renderings. Let's hope, as I'll be in the market for a hatch when I'm done with this crossover next year!

Last edited:
I like the current design as well. That large amount of sheet metal at the side rear needs something.

Some people find the rear windows a bit too small and high meaning children have more difficulty seeing out.

Latest posts

Back