Mazda CX-5 vs Mazda 3

That should be OP's pick imho.

I wanted a Mazda3 hatchback but the rear seats area were a bit smaller than I'd like. Hence went to Mazda6 route. Now a Mazda6 wagon would have a lot of space back there. Issue would be lower to ground than CX-5.

Mazda 6 wagon is a good choice but considering not many are sold here, I steered away from it this time around as selling my 6 was a long process.

Mazda 6 wagon is a good choice but considering not many are sold here, I steered away from it this time around as selling my 6 was a long process.

Seems like AUS vehicle preferences are similar to US

OP could also wait to see the specs on the next gen 3 are. Rumoured available AWD, far more efficient and torquey 'X' motor...

Is that the Kai design 3? From what I hear that hasnt even begun production. The design though is next level.

Is that the Kai design 3? From what I hear that hasn*t even begun production. The design though is next level.

There are no photos of the actual next design being used as test mules. Only current model with all the next gen tech underneath.

Hi all, I am deciding between a CX5 and a Mazda 3. Currently it*s just me and my partner with no plans for kids

I was in a similar car hunt last year.
Just the wife and I, with our kids grown and gone.
The CX-5 was nice, but we preferred the driving dynamics of the 6, plus it is bigger and roomier than the 3. The 3 just felt too small.
The 6 has lots of leg room in the back if you have passengers, and a huge trunk. Plenty of room and cargo space.
The wagon looks like a great alternative. As others have said, too bad it's not available in North America.
Anyway, we are very happy with our choice.

Last edited:
Is that the Kai design 3? From what I hear that hasn*t even begun production. The design though is next level.

Kai obviously wasn't a 'production' version of the design but yes, based on that design. I'd wager we'll hear more at the LA show in November with a likely early/spring 2019 release date.

What's your time frame?

gallery_01.jpg

Production model will likely have more ground clearance, smaller wheels, more wheel/fender gap, real mirrors etc but it's probably not THAT far off that 'general' design.

And I've seen Mazda quotes that they'd be looking to make AWD available in the next gen 3 and 6 as they continue to push the brand up market.

Ok...?

It's not really that far off their current designs including that CX5 in your sig for 'sleekness'.

My bad for not explaining it clearly.

What I meant/should of said was invariably the final design won't be anywhere as identical as the concept design. There will be similarities of course but rarely is the final product the same as the concept

What ever the final design is, it will still look good though!

My bad for not explaining it clearly.

What I meant/should of said was invariably the final design won't be anywhere as identical as the concept design. There will be similarities of course but rarely is the final product the same as the concept

What ever the final design is, it will still look good though!

Yeah, not enough cargo space to be segment competitive with that raked roof and short rear overhang. Its a good direction gist though.

Any advice on 2.5 L AWD VS 2.5L FWD? Im not big on off road driving but it may come in handy at some point.

Any advice on 2.5 L AWD VS 2.5L FWD? I*m not big on off road driving but it may come in handy at some point.

The CX-5 2.5 AWD is essentially FWD pretty much most of the time. Only when it detects slippage and or bad weather conditions, power is transferred to the rear wheels and becomes AWD

Also in Australia, 2.5L in CX-5 is only available in AWD (2.0L FWD is only available on Maxx & Maxx Sport) compared to the 3 which gets 2.0L FWD and 2.5L FWD

3 all day long. Maybe even a 6.

The 3 is better looking, gets better mileage, has better handling, is less expensive, is easier to drive at the limit (ie emergency situations), etc etc etc.

If you're not worried about sitting up high or needing that extra cargo space, there is no reason to sacrifice all those things, in my opinion.

Back