Mazda "Connect" Navigation System in 2016 and beyond (Good Read, Trust me)

I don't get why these auto makers are pushing android auto/car play more. I know at least for android auto, it really is about making driving safer while still giving the driver the communication and connections they desire. I hate the requirement of having to have your phone plugged in but at the same time it makes it safer, and makes it less likely the user will pick up their phone and interact with it if it has to be plugged in. In fact, as long as android auto is running on the car, you can't do anything else on the phone.

Not to mention, Mazda, and all other manufactures have to spend money on maintaining and developing new infotainment systems. Implementing android auto would eliminate that need and save them money. Let google do the hard work of maintaining the infotainment OS. Focus on other areas that matter that are directly related to the car. Come on Mazda. Don't be crazy here. Get on the bandwagon like these other companies.

+1
Re: plugging in the phone - there could be an easy to use cradle or slot you just slide your phone on and that's it.
Also, there are multitudes of developers, not just Google, which continuously publish new apps for Android Auto. And you don't get stuck with the same feature set and bugs as the day you bought your system - it updates with more features and better usability all the time. The available data, depth and breath, cannot be matched by a standalone system.

yeah I use google maps when traveling for sure. Their live traffic and quickest routes are by far the best. Certainly better than any in car navigation I've used.

Used Google maps while driving for the 1st time on last Friday. Tested a trip from work to home destination. Halfway home the app advised to re-route. I did not. I got stuck in construction traffic.

I'm also a long-time user of Google Maps since the CX-5 is my first car that has built-in GPS. I used to have only 200MB/month data plan, but that was more than enough for GMaps on occasional use. Google just made it better recently to allow users to have turn-by-turn navigation in downloaded offline map:
https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/6291838?hl=en

For my Touring, I didn't buy the Navigation SD card, but installed the Enhanced Compass app instead. It's good enough to know where I am and to figure out my ways should my phone dies or there's no service signal.
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...hanced-compass-application-mazda-connect.html

For long term, I think the current Infotainment system provides enough basic functionalities, and Mazda should just keep it that way, the more bloats the slower/more crashes. Instead, leave all the fancy features to Android/Apple Auto as smartphones are way more powerful with Internet connection for live updates. Apple and Google are software engineering powerhouses, they have the resources and expertise to make things happen, to make car-makers to listen to them -- in-house development is simply a waste that can't compete. Of course, until Android/Apple Auto is available, you'll have to figure out something that works for you.

No Live traffic is absurd

Never will buy a car from a company that light years behind in wifi technology.
Call a number of times, same B.S. Answer like talking to a wall. It's a joke.

Never will buy a car from a company that light years behind in wifi technology.
Call a number of times, same B.S. Answer like talking to a wall. It's a joke.

What do you mean "wifi technology"? The CX-5 does have hidden wifi access not enabled by default, although I don't see what's the wifi for unless you're just driving in and out of the garage all day. Or do you mean having the car relaying 3G/LTE data as a mobile wifi network (like using your phone as a Hot Spot)?

I have "live traffic" through my phones wifi hotspot, it also provides weather and fuel prices, uses about 30gb a month according to mazda.

Last edited:
Is Google maps the best traffic app for Iphone?

Lately I'm using Waze for this. Google owns waze and integrates some of the traffic data, but so far the re-routing of google maps hasn't been as good.

And Waze now has Morgan Freeman...travel with the voice of God...

Lately I'm using Waze for this. Google owns waze and integrates some of the traffic data, but so far the re-routing of google maps hasn't been as good.

And Waze now has Morgan Freeman...travel with the voice of God...

Would be interesting taking the CX-5 to the Red Sea.

Taking away the NAVTEQ has me really upset because two weeks before I bought my Mazda CX-5 I took one for a drive at the local car show. The car had the live traffic running. They also said it had regenerative braking that would save me 1-2 miles per gallon. Of course, I feel stupid for not checking on these before I bought the car. Also, in the manual is Memory Seats which were not available. Now, feeling duped I wish I never bought the car.

Is Google maps the best traffic app for Iphone?

Waze gives you more elaborated/creative routes and tells you of cops / potholes / cars on the side of the road. One thing I wished they had is overview map. Also, the display might get cluttered and you can report things. The app uses a lot of power, so you must have your phone charging. I found it to work well for normal commute.

Google Maps is a more comprehensive solution for finding things and includes Street View and Satellite View, supports mass-transit, walking and much more. When set to driving mode, it is much less customizable. It tends to find more straightforward/less elaborated routes, does not warn you of cops or obstructions. When going to new places or exploring restaurants or finding where to park, Google Maps is a superior product. It also works very well for long road trips.

Try them both. They are free.

Back