Mazda "Connect" Navigation System in 2016 and beyond (Good Read, Trust me)

No need for a permanent 7" screen then, my Galaxy phone screen is almost as big. I could even use my Galaxy 10.5" tablet w/ integrated phone and the display is much bigger and much crisper than what Mazda will ever offer. I don't want to plug anything in, I don't want to see a friggin' USB cable between my phone/tablet and my dashboard. All I'm asking for in my car is what Mazda advertized and what I paid $400 for, nothing else.

Or, at the very least - they can integrate the ALREADY BEING RECEIVED, DISPLAYED HD Traffic!! Damn it, how freaking difficult is that???? Lazy buggers, that's what they are. Do you know what I do? I go to Home Screen -> Apps -> HD Traffic -> then review the darn screen those little tiny highways (the system does not even offer zoom...LOL) and then use that information to plot my route in NY, daily.....
At the very least, they can have that data sent into the navigation system?? Don't tell me they are images. I build enterprise applications for a living. Images don't come from the sky. They come as data points. Those data points have unique parameters telling the software whether the road is congested or not. Those same data points thru FM can feed into the navigation system.
Oh forgot - listen to XM 133 Traffic NY also....LOL
Jeep UConnect has 1 year trial XM subscription + 5 years XM traffic included. If Mazda wanted to, they can. They just don't want to. I, in fact is willing to pay for the subscription to traffic also, from day-1 - knowing Mazda being penny wise, pound foolish.

Last edited:
Whatever they do, I really hope the the 16 models can get android auto/ iphone car software update. I have no problems using my phone for navigation (prefer to anyway with waze for the police and hazard alerts) but it coming up on the screen would make it that much better. Still, having their own system is very nice to have. My phone has crashed before when I had no idea where I was, and had no service, so it could not get back to the route. The car only uses GPS and internal map so no cell service needed!

I understand what you're saying and it's fine but that's not what we're talking about. The subject is to get Mazda to provide what we paid for, which is an integrated Navigation system with Live Traffic alerts.
What would I need an Infotainment system with a 7" screen in the middle of my dashboard for if I use my Galaxy to navigate, receive MSG, emails and calls, listen to the radio and even watch TV if I want to?

Convenience.
A built in screen can and is used for other things which your phone couldn't possible do.
It also has the potential to show a lot more if only car makers took the opportunity, such as fault screens diagnostic screens.

Making up such screens was part of my job when I worked as a maintenance technician, I could often diagnose a fault with out leaving the office.

Just think no more trips to a dealer for him to plug in his equipment.

I am happy with my Google maps on smartphone. No use navigation on my car

Mazda eventually fixed the ipod issues on the 2014/2015 model year, and that involved replacing hardware, not just software. It might take awhile, but I think they will eventually come up with something.

http://www.cnet.com/news/ford-carplay-android-auto/..... Mazda is working on something similar for the 2017 CX-5, sorry guys and girls looks like we will be in the same boat at 2015 Ford Escape Owners. Old Infotainment system that will be light-years behind next years infotainment system.

Service Request Number .........

Hello Mr. ......,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Mazda.

As discussed, the Real-Time Traffic application was a part of a trial subscription Mazda held with a particular vendor. This trial has ended and this specific application is no longer available for the vehicle. The live traffic application was a separate addition that was integrated into the navigation system. Mazda is in contact with vendors frequently to discuss possible applications for current and future vehicles, however at this time we have not been advised as to whether the real time traffic will be activated for the 2016 CX-5 in the future.

Reimbursement for the navigation system would not be provided, however should you experience any manufacturer defects or workmanship concerns with the system, it is covered within the basic warranty parameters of 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. With that said, Mazda also recognizes that this change may have caused inconvenience and has offered to provide a $100 Mazda gift card as a one-time goodwill gesture. Mazda gift cards are valid for a full year and can be used towards service, parts, or accessories at any authorized Mazda dealership.

Should you have any additional questions or need assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us. I have provided the reference number for our call today as well as myself and Chris' contact information for you below.

Sincerely,
Tania
Lead Representative, Customer Experience
Select Prompt 2, then Ext. 1142

Christopher
Representative, Customer Experience
Select Prompt 2, then Ext. 1176
[SR Number: 1-..........]

I have not paid close attention to how easy '16+ unit is to replace. Has anyone replaced one?

With the '13-'15 unit seemingly easy to replace and car settings now available in these aftermarket units... somewhat enthusiastic about replacing unit after basic 3/36 warranty expires. I am thinking another year or two and everything I need will be there.

s-l1600.jpg

My wife was looking to buy a new car... I suggested a '16 CX-5 (as she really likes my car.) However, after seeing the nightmares I went through with my '14's "tech package" (and it was never resolved enough for me - I ended up replacing the head unit), and then seeing in this thread that Mazda is abandoning features in cars that are still the current model year, she decided NOT to get the mazda.

No, the purpose of a car isn't to have bells and whistles. "Live traffic" isn't a critical function of the vehicle. However, those bells and whistles make the car more enjoyable to use while you're commuting. For most people, if you take away the "bells and whistles", all that's left is the frustration of traffic. (Ironically, this is a feature that would actually help to negate the traffic frustration to begin with.) As well, this is more about abandoning your customers than something silly.

That's her choice, and I completely understand her point of view. In fact, if I were faced with trading in my 2014, I'm not sure I'd get the 2016 either. Not after reading this. Something like this really leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Will Mazda now be remembered as the company who abandoned features in a car that was still sold as brand new? Is Mazda's new mantra going to be "Thanks for your money - we will support you ONLY as far as we are legally required for your warranty, otherwise go away."?

Oh, and we have been pretty brand-loyal in the past.. A 626, MPV, Mazda3, and currently a CX-5.

(BTW, she ended up buying a 2016 RAV4. Not what I would have chosen myself, but at least their "entune" system is still being actively supported - and has traffic.)

Hopefully, someone from Mazda picks up on this. When you start losing long-term customers, and the real money they would have spent, saving a few bucks on "live traffic" (or engineers to implement HD traffic) might be less appealing.

Take care
Gary

Gary, that is well said! Best reply in this entire thread. Mazda really has built a great car and the 2016 infotainment system is not bad but the navigation without traffic has to be one of the biggest blunders they have ever made. The fact that you can see the options that were there at one time makes it downright comical. Mazda is now providing navigation free with the infotainment system. When I read this I almost fell out of my chair. Prior to that announcement dealers were actually advising their customers not to purchase navigation separately because of so many complaints. I am not joking about that! Well now you get the decade old or more technology for free, lol. Not a bad strategy, lol. The customer can't complain about if it is free. Would any of you guys take the $100 gift certificate Mazda offered me?

However, those bells and whistles make the car more enjoyable to use while you're commuting. For most people, if you take away the "bells and whistles", all that's left is the frustration of traffic.

I respect your point of view. First and foremost, I enjoy the car's road handling and engine + transmission combination. Bells and whistles are either a secondary icing on the cake, don't care or even would like to avoid (e.g. power lift-gate).
I think the best argument so far was that the car was advertised as having live-traffic feature but does not. With this claim you could probably compel Mazda to get this feature enabled for you on their expense.

Last edited:
My GT/Tech will likely be my last vehicle with factory NAV. I think the NAVTEQ is better than the Denso DVD-based NAV in our 6 year old Camry Hybrid but I prefer my low-end portable Garmin with lifetime map updates over either vehicle factory system and my Google Maps Nav is better than the Garmin.

What I'd like to see is simply a 7" dumb screen where I could plug in a GPS head unit from any manufacturer. I don't really need live traffic but a higher resolution display would be welcome.

What I'd like to see is simply a 7" dumb screen where I could plug in a GPS head unit from any manufacturer. I don't really need live traffic but a higher resolution display would be welcome.
So, why not Android Auto or Car Play? It will get you superior experience, always up-to-date apps as well as apps you will never get on a traditional system. Navigation can even work without a data signal.

I don't get why these auto makers are pushing android auto/car play more. I know at least for android auto, it really is about making driving safer while still giving the driver the communication and connections they desire. I hate the requirement of having to have your phone plugged in but at the same time it makes it safer, and makes it less likely the user will pick up their phone and interact with it if it has to be plugged in. In fact, as long as android auto is running on the car, you can't do anything else on the phone.

Not to mention, Mazda, and all other manufactures have to spend money on maintaining and developing new infotainment systems. Implementing android auto would eliminate that need and save them money. Let google do the hard work of maintaining the infotainment OS. Focus on other areas that matter that are directly related to the car. Come on Mazda. Don't be crazy here. Get on the bandwagon like these other companies.

I paid $34 for 5 months for XM Select (140 Channels) so $3-$4/month for XM Traffic alone would be a 50% increase. I hope they have preferred conditions for existing customers.

Does XM traffic include navigation as in turn by turn navigation?

Last edited:

Have Tom Tom on the CX-5 and it works good for us.

Mazda6 is nav ready but just needs the card. Want to purchase it but for that dough I could by me some lowering springs and use my android phone as navigation via google.

During rush hour, traffic is heavy. Sometimes there is a wreck on the freeway and you get stuck in a traffic jam. I never expected my nav system to be prescient. I don't believe that the data would be that reliable even if it did work. I have a $600 nav system on my bike. It's not prescient either. I honestly don't understand the fuss.

During rush hour, traffic is heavy. Sometimes there is a wreck on the freeway and you get stuck in a traffic jam. I never expected my nav system to be prescient. I don't believe that the data would be that reliable even if it did work. I have a $600 nav system on my bike. It's not prescient either. I honestly don't understand the fuss.

$600? Now that is crazy, lol. I have avoided many traffic jams thanks to google maps. I avoided a more than 5 hour backup on route 81 when the highway was shut down because a cop killed a cop on the highway and the police ended up shooting and killing him a few miles up the road. This was a holiday weekend too. You would be one those guys sleepng in your car while I am already home kicking back a cold one, lol.

$600? Now that is crazy, lol. I have avoided many traffic jams thanks to google maps. I avoided a more than 5 hour backup on route 81 when the highway was shut down because a cop killed a cop on the highway and the police ended up shooting and killing him a few miles up the road. This was a holiday weekend too. You would be one those guys sleepng in your car while I am already home kicking back a cold one, lol.

yeah I use google maps when traveling for sure. Their live traffic and quickest routes are by far the best. Certainly better than any in car navigation I've used.

Back