Mazda Appoints New CEO, Prioritises USA - Wonder If Any Immediate Impact On CX-5

I hope you’re right. We probably won’t upgrade for a while but when we do I think we will move up.

They will. It won't make any sense to keep things as is when their entire competiton ups their power and torque figures.

Right now Mazda is right at average for the mainstream brands. It’s just a couple examples like Escape and Cherokee that offer more outside the luxury brands.

If they do all up it I’d agree.

Right now Mazda is right at average for the mainstream brands. It’s just a couple examples like Escape and Cherokee that offer more outside the luxury brands.

If they do all up it I’d agree.

It should be noted that those makes/models have larger organisations behind them so they can more frequently upgrade their engines.

Mazda can't stand still. They will need to make changes and these should start appearing when SkyActiv-X comes online. It appears they have reached the limits of tweaking the current generation SkyActiv engines.

It should be noted that those makes/models have larger organisations behind them so they can more frequently upgrade their engines.

Mazda can't stand still. They will need to make changes and these should start appearing when SkyActiv-X comes online. It appears they have reached the limits of tweaking the current generation SkyActiv engines.

I think you’re probably right about that.

It would be nice if Mazda near the release of the SkyActiv-X 2.0L next year announces a 2.5L variant in the pipeline which could slot into the CX-5 among other models.....

The thing is I think Skyactiv X is about efficiency not power.

Actually it's a combination of both from what I have read online. That was sort of the mantra for current SkyActiv engines and I am sure they won't want to deviate too far from that.

I looked at the Jalopnik review and the comments to that review on their site, and what someone said on this thread/forum is correct. Prior to getting the 2.5T engine, everyone was asking for it to be offered on the Mazda6. That includes all auto journalists. Now that Mazda has added it to the 2018 Mazda6, it is not good. It needs manual and AWD. That's a shame. I'm pretty sure that if the CX-5 were given the 2.5T engine, people will also say it is not good enough.

Anyway, with regards to the 2.5T engine. All Mazda needs to do is stretch that horsepower peak up to the redline. It is only getting 250 hp because horsepower peaks at 5000 RPM. If they can make peak horsepower at 6500 RPM, the car would probably be close to 300 horsepower. And then, maybe people will stop saying it is slow.

I looked at the Jalopnik review and the comments to that review on their site, and what someone said on this thread/forum is correct. Prior to getting the 2.5T engine, everyone was asking for it to be offered on the Mazda6. That includes all auto journalists. Now that Mazda has added it to the 2018 Mazda6, it is not good. It needs manual and AWD. That's a shame. I'm pretty sure that if the CX-5 were given the 2.5T engine, people will also say it is not good enough.

That's what I said long ago. You can't satisfy everybody. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

Anyway, with regards to the 2.5T engine. All Mazda needs to do is stretch that horsepower peak up to the redline. It is only getting 250 hp because horsepower peaks at 5000 RPM. If they can make peak horsepower at 6500 RPM, the car would probably be close to 300 horsepower. And then, maybe people will stop saying it is slow.

It isn't that slow. It's all about perception. People want pushed back into seat fast where as this engine provides relentless surge fast

That's what the reviews I have read online have said about this engine in the 6

But that’s not quite how it works with turbo engines designed for minimal lag. To make it peak higher it will need a larger turbo. That will equal more lag. It’s competing priorities.

VW has used a combination of a super charger for low speed and a turbo for higher speeds to try to get both. Can be done but would be a lot more complicated and expensive.

But anyway I doubt they will invest much more on powertrains outside of the X.

They might invest in variations to the X

Right much like we have a Skyactiv G family now. This will get phased out and replaced by a Skyactiv X family. Diesel will probably be around for a while too. Though X could eventually replace diesels too. If you get the good parts of Diesel engines without the emissions challenges.

Actually it's a combination of both from what I have read online. That was sort of the mantra for current SkyActiv engines and I am sure they won't want to deviate too far from that.

I agree. From what I saw of the numbers, the 2.0L Skyactive-X gets around the same sort of hp as the current 2.5L (slightly less torque). Would be interested to see what a 2.5L-X brings. But at the same time...how many years from now? (scratch)

And I bet they replace the 2.5 G with 2.0 X. If they can shave some weight probably won’t miss the torque much.

I agree. From what I saw of the numbers, the 2.0L Skyactive-X gets around the same sort of hp as the current 2.5L (slightly less torque). Would be interested to see what a 2.5L-X brings. But at the same time...how many years from now? (scratch)

Hopefully not too long there after

And I bet they replace the 2.5 G with 2.0 X. If they can shave some weight probably won’t miss the torque much.

I hope not because even if they do shave off quite a bit, it's still fairly heavy compared to a Mazda 3 or even a Mazda 6 where the 2.0 X might be enough (ok not for the 6 but you get what I mean)

Last edited:
I hope not because even if they do shave off quite a bit, it's still fairly heavy compared to a Mazda 3 or even a Mazda 6 where the 2.0 X might be enough (ok not for the 6 but you get what I mean)

You guys aren’t allowed to drive fast down under anyway. :p

Back