Mazda 2...couple questions.

Rdrcr

:
2014 Mazda2
Hey guys,

I'm new here.
Just purchased a Base 2014 2 Sport Manual.

The 2 is my new DD and man, this thing is fun to drive.

I have a couple questions; What's with the fuel gauge? It doesn't seem to read too accurately. I'm loosing a bar every 25-35 miles (I'm assuming 2 bars = a 1/4 tank). I'm recording good mileage at fill-ups...I'm averaging 34 MPG. Anyway, I just want to get some feedback from your experiences with the fuel gauge.

Then second, my A/C does not blow cold. It blows cool, but, not cold. Is this normal?
I don't want to take it in to the dealer unless there is a problem.

Thanks,

Mike

That's about right for the fuel gauge. Typical fill up when the last bar blinks is about 8~ish gallons and 8 bars on the gauge = about a gallon a bar. I like going by the millage on the trip meter as that give me a better idea s to how much fuel is left since I know the average range on a tank.

like every other car on the road, the fuel "gauge" is nothing more than a visual indicator that your tank is in the process of emptying itself. when it gets low, stop at the station and refill.

Hey guys,

I'm new here.
Just purchased a Base 2014 2 Sport Manual.

The 2 is my new DD and man, this thing is fun to drive.

I have a couple questions; What's with the fuel gauge? It doesn't seem to read too accurately. I'm loosing a bar every 25-35 miles (I'm assuming 2 bars = a 1/4 tank). I'm recording good mileage at fill-ups...I'm averaging 34 MPG. Anyway, I just want to get some feedback from your experiences with the fuel gauge.

Then second, my A/C does not blow cold. It blows cool, but, not cold. Is this normal?
I don't want to take it in to the dealer unless there is a problem.

Thanks,

Mike

Since it's an electronic fuel gauge, it won't read exactly based on the amount of fuel that's actually left in the tank. As far as I'm aware, the 2 has an 11.3 gallon fuel tank (based on info from Mazda), and whenever I fill up when the "E" is blinking (no bars), it takes about 8.5 gallons to fill up. I think that's a safeguard worked in so you aren't completely screwed when you work your way down to the "E." I also average about 34 MPG (up to 38 MPG on highway-heavy trips). Sometimes I lose a bar after 25 miles, sometimes it takes closer to 45...so that's normal as well, from my experience.

My A/C is still ice cold after 23,000 miles, so I would take it into the dealer and have it looked it. Since the car is new, it should be covered under your warranty if there is an issue.

njaremka said:
like every other car on the road, the fuel "gauge" is nothing more than a visual indicator that your tank is in the process of emptying itself. when it gets low, stop at the station and refill.

The hell you say? :p

It is a bit more difficult to work out range without the trip computer (although, I think if you use apps like Torque for Android, you can get pretty close, because you can get the data through OBD), but I average about 285-320 miles per tank, based on how I drive.

Good info. Thanks!

I figured since I'm getting the advertised MPG that everything was good but, just wanted to check.

I'll have to get the car over to the dealer to inspect the A/C system.

Mike

I actually averaged 41.7 MPG over my last tank (on a 280 mile road trip). If you drive intelligently with the manual, you can get above the estimates for mileage.

I've averaged about 31 mpg over the 2.5 years I've had the car (tracked on feully @pleaseyesplease). I drive about 95% city over the course of a year with a lot of traffic, so that's about what I expected or slightly better over the life of the car thus far.

My AC is also cool, but def not cold. Just noticed that. I don't use it very often, so It wasn't until about two weeks ago that I used it for a few days for the first time this year. I'll have to visit the dealer for that as well! Let me know what you find out if you take yours in, mine probably has the same issue.

And highway mileage is really good if you keep it ~65. I just took a recent all-highway road trip where the speed limits ranged from 55 to 65. 42mpg average!

Last edited:
^^^^
I'll let you know what they say.

I actually averaged 41.7 MPG over my last tank (on a 280 mile road trip). If you drive intelligently with the manual, you can get above the estimates for mileage.

Nice! I've been reading about forum members that are getting 40+ MPG. Impressive.
I hope to get there!

Mike

Let me know what you guys hear about the A/C. Mine is also just "cool not cold" lately. Not that I use it much at all.

Let me know what you guys hear about the A/C. Mine is also just "cool not cold" lately. Not that I use it much at all.

I use mine all the time, because I'm a total polar bear. That may be why, although it would seem like mine would be going "cool, not cold" faster since I'd be running down the refrigerant a bit faster. Hopefully your dealer can find the solution, Mike!

It's been hot and unusually humid here recently so I don't know if that is having an effect on the efficiency of the A/C system. Regardless, I'm going to take it in to the dealer...probably next week. I want to get a few more miles on the car before its first dealer visit.

In the meantime, I'm going to try to borrow a tool that clips onto the A/C vent to measure the temperature of the air.

Mike

The air temperature coming out of my A/C vents is 50* F.
Most modern cars measure between 40* and 50* F.

I'm going to talk to the Mazda techs but, sadly, I think this is normal.

Mike

The Mazda2 A/C is great when moving, kinda borderline sucks at idle, especially when it's hot/humid, especially without any window tint, especially without recirc on.

If you can get it to register 40F from the vents sitting at idle, blower at high speed, on recirc, you're in pretty good shape. The biggest problem is with all the glass you're basically driving around in a greenhouse and it can't keep up with the latent heat. It helps tremendously to move as well because of raised RPMs(more refrigerant flow, more air over the condenser, and the air outside also somewhat helps to keep the glass from absorbing heat(like a car sitting in the sun) and radiating it inwards.

You should definitely be able to get it below 45F under the above testing conditions(unless you're doing it directly in the sunlight, do the above test in the shade if possible). Also check what the temp does if you hold the idle to 2000rpms, it should drop a few more degrees, maybe 4-8F less than normal idle, if it's a massive difference(like 55F idle, 40F at 2000rpm) then there might be something else going on, most likely low charge.

All the above temps should be checked with the car running for 10+ min in those conditions, you want to get rid of all the latent heat in the car so the tests are consistent from one to another... it won't be accurate if you're checking vent temps after only 2 minutes of running, let it continue with all windows up and on recirc and it will drop another 2 to 6+ degrees and hold steady.

^^^^
Great info!

I tested the A/C temps with max blower speed and the recirc on at highway speeds with the car running for over 10 minutes. I recorded a consistent 50F.
The temps would not go any lower. However, this could be due to unusually hot/humid weather.

I'd like to have seen 40-45F.

Window tint will be my first mod...hopefully next week.

Mike

I've had the same experience with mine.

The fuel gauge is a little annoying to me. I get why it starts blinking when there's around 3 gallons left, to ensure people don't get stranded, but I'd rather continue on for another 60ish miles, then have it start blinking, and have a more accurate reading.

I've had the same experience with mine.

The fuel gauge is a little annoying to me. I get why it starts blinking when there's around 3 gallons left, to ensure people don't get stranded, but I'd rather continue on for another 60ish miles, then have it start blinking, and have a more accurate reading.

Good to know, and agree, I would much rather have a more accurate fuel gauge.

Mike

Ive noticed with my 2 that whether I drive it hard (fast acceleration, redlining, etc.), or drive like a grandpa consciously keeping my RPM low, I still average about the same MPG. Anyone else experience this?

The only real noticeable difference I notice is between city and highway MPG.

I've been driving the 2 easy. I'll have to push-it a little bit and see how it affects my mileage.

3 tanks so far...34 MPG.

Mike

In June I went to the Wisconsin dells and averaged about 40 mpg goin there.
coming back, drafting off of a semi I was averaging according to my MPG average aroung 52mpg @ 60mph.
I was very impressed by this but i had some help... I drafted off off a semi for about 100 miles reducing the coefficeient drag of the car to almost nothing and then also becuase i think going back to MSP was down hill for most of the trip.
I love this car, yes there are some drawbacks, lack of HP is one and the super thin crap paint on there but there is nothing like getting an average of 38 mpg on a gas engine car that's fun to toss around.
I dont think i've ever seen 32mpg on my guage even in dead of minnesota winter. the gas guage is a little wonk, it doesnt bother me though. One thing i do wish is that the car has a 6 speed for higher cruizing speeds and lower rpms.

So how will I know when to fill up my gas tank? I let my tank go low now and my low fuel light comes on. I know I can get to work or home one way and I'm still in the beginning of the red then I always fill up. I know I should just fill up before it gets low and the light comes on but that doesn't always happen. I am getting a 2014 Mazda 2 touring on Friday and my husband just got a 3. This is going to be new to me. Just want to make sure I know when I should fill up. Thanks! I'll get used to it after a while.

Back