Mazda 2.3L engine swap for JDM 2.3L

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2007 Mazda3 s GT 5-door, 5-speed manual with a blown motor. I've been searching for a used motor and found a place that is selling JDM 2.3L engines that were installed in JDM Mazda3's. The shop says a few parts need to be swapped from the U.S. version 2.3L to the JDM 2.3L engine and they claim it's no issue. Wondering if anyone has done this?

I know all Mazda3's are built in Japan, but the engine in question was used in Japan in a JDM Mazda3.

Here is the company that sells them: http://www.autopartsorlando.com/inventory-search/

see if you can find a USDM 2.5 engine. it will bolt right in, and the extra displacement will give you a noticeable boost in torque.

too much work to get a 2.5 installed? nothing additional required if you are planning a 2.3 swap already

2.5 has an extra sensor and i believe different cam timing

So the cost would be 2.5, 2.3 head, and custom tuning.

Ok, forget the 2.5L swap. I don't want to do it.

I did find a 2.3L from a Mazda5. Is it the same? I just want to be sure I buy a motor that will fit my 2.3L Mazda3 2007 manual tranny with little to no modifications. Any ideas other than a 2.3L from a Mazda3?

Should be the same, but check with a dealer to be sure. The techs know their stuff and will tell you what other cars use the same engine. A 2006-08 Mazda6 should do as well (earlier cars had different ignition)

I'm actually in the same position as you and ordered the jdm 2.3l from the same place. comes in friday..

Back