Maybe New Owner Soon - Questions on build quality

BillB15

:
Mazda CX5 GT 2014
I am looking at either the 2014 CX5 Touring or 2014 Honda CRV to replace 2006 Honda Ridgeline that I have owned since the truck was invented in 2005 so I have lots of experience in dealing with dealer level TSB repairs as there were many on this vehicle. Can someone please list the known problems that the 2014 CX5 is experiencing that Mazda seems to be on the way to fixing or that seemingly will not be fixed. I have read some on this forum about the mirror and hood shake that I will look for in my 2nd test drive (first was at low speed and it wasn't evident). After first test drives of both, the CX5 was definitely performance peppier than the CRV, but I am a believer in Honda engine trustworthiness so this is a tough factor for Mazda to overcome since I have never owned one. Also can someone please detail the improvements made in the 2014 versus the 2013 CX5. Thanks.

I've owned 6 Honda/Acura vehicles and 2 Mazdas, (not to mention all the other brands owned). Both Hondas and Mazdas have had very similar build quality and reliability based on my ownership experiences. The Ford, GM, Jeep, Jag, Mercedes, Porsche models owned have been much less reliable.

The CX-5 is my 3rd Mazda. Even owning the Mazdaspeed 6 which had been know to have problems.
My Mazdas have had no more problems than the '03 Toyota Matrix XRS & '97 Geo Prism(Corolla clone).

Biggest change from '13 to '14 was the addition of the 2.5 liter engine. Maybe some minor options with the tech package?

I am looking at either the 2014 CX5 Touring or 2014 Honda CRV to replace 2006 Honda Ridgeline that I have owned since the truck was invented in 2005 so I have lots of experience in dealing with dealer level TSB repairs as there were many on this vehicle. Can someone please list the known problems that the 2014 CX5 is experiencing that Mazda seems to be on the way to fixing or that seemingly will not be fixed. I have read some on this forum about the mirror and hood shake that I will look for in my 2nd test drive (first was at low speed and it wasn't evident). After first test drives of both, the CX5 was definitely performance peppier than the CRV, but I am a believer in Honda engine trustworthiness so this is a tough factor for Mazda to overcome since I have never owned one. Also can someone please detail the improvements made in the 2014 versus the 2013 CX5. Thanks.

they have already incorporated a number of improvements to the original build quality, such as rattles from the a pillar and other adjustments where bolts were tightened and panel gap where wing met body was adjusted, Mine's a diesel and it just missed new dipstick and ecu re-program in factory so there is evidence that Mazda are improving the quality out of the factory. However, it's a mixed bag when it comes to dealers carrying out the changes that were built and shipped before factory improvement. If you're buying a brand new model having a dealer with a competent service department is really really,important.

My only known problem so far is Bluetooth pairing with Samsung SII Skyrocket after 2 days of ownership. Fit & finish is excellent. As you mentioned, CX-5 is definitely a winner in the fun to drive category compared to the CR-V.

Biggest change from '13 to '14 was the addition of the 2.5 liter engine. Maybe some minor options with the tech package?

Is this 2.5 a known engine for the Mazda line or just introduced in 2014 models?

We have owned our Protege 5 since new in 03 and its been spot on, perfect in every way. 90k and not a single issue. Not one. The Cx5 so far has been great. I came out of a BMW 5 series touring and this thing feel just as solid. Last but not least, the CRV is just not cool. :)

Is this 2.5 a known engine for the Mazda line or just introduced in 2014 models?

Yeah, don't get the new 2.5l Skyac confused with their old, PI 2.5l.

I had an 86 Mazda B2000 for a few years. That thing was bulletproof.
Still have my 2006 Speed, going on 7 years.
And the CX-5 for a year now.

Even though there is a propensity for problems with the Speed6, and I have bad mouthed it in the past, fearful of such problems and failures, it has been great to me.
CX-5 has been awesome.
B2K was my first vehicle (and my brother's before me)...it was a Japanese punching bag.

Can someone please list the known problems that the 2014 CX5 is experiencing that Mazda seems to be on the way to fixing or that seemingly will not be fixed. I have read some on this forum about the mirror and hood shake that I will look for in my 2nd test drive (first was at low speed and it wasn't evident).

After over 6,000 miles I've had zero issues (not even inconsequential ones). Build quality appears to be very precise using the latest techniques, modern robots, etc. The issues you mentioned were addressed by Mazda very early in the cars history. Mine was built in summer of 2012 and did not exhibit hood or mirror vibration (or any other complaint a few early owners reported).

And my fuel economy is substantially better than the EPA numbers would have suggested.

Yeah, don't get the new 2.5l Skyac confused with their old, PI 2.5l.

I had an 86 Mazda B2000 for a few years. That thing was bulletproof.
Still have my 2006 Speed, going on 7 years.
And the CX-5 for a year now.

Even though there is a propensity for problems with the Speed6, and I have bad mouthed it in the past, fearful of such problems and failures, it has been great to me.
CX-5 has been awesome.
B2K was my first vehicle (and my brother's before me)...it was a Japanese punching bag.

Like' Iheart', I have owned a 1998 mazda B3000 pick up since it was new. By far the best vehicle I have ever owned. I am a car nut and take very good care of my vehicles and 15 years later this trucks paint looks almost as good as when it was new. Interior,same way. Regular maintenance is all that has been required. It's a cross between a timex and the energizer bunny and probably more reliable than both. Makes my wife's Acura TL, which has been a great buy, seem like a lemon in comparison.

Like' Iheart', I have owned a 1998 mazda B3000 pick up since it was new. By far the best vehicle I have ever owned. I am a car nut and take very good care of my vehicles and 15 years later this trucks paint looks almost as good as when it was new. Interior,same way. Regular maintenance is all that has been required. It's a cross between a timex and the energizer bunny and probably more reliable than both. Makes my wife's Acura TL, which has been a great buy, seem like a lemon in comparison.

The B3000 pickup is a Ford Ranger clone. I have a 96 Ranger with 175,000 miles and never any major issues. Had a broken leaf spring and rusted out hangers but that wasn't too hard to fix myself. My dad has an 02' Mazda B2300. I'm curious how much of the truck was designed and built by Mazda. Damn good truck either way!

Back