Maximum number of songs for a USB drive?

mgaughan

:
Mazda CX-5 2015
Hi,

Sounds like a silly question, but is there a maximum number of songs for a USB drive in a Mazda Sound System?

In my car (2015), all of the songs do not appear to be proper read and I was wondering of there is an upper limit. The USB has over 100 songs on it.

Thanks...

Mike.

I don't know if there is an upper limit but it's definitely more than 100. I have about 1000 on a 32 gig drive and it takes the USB about 30 seconds or less after starting to car to start playing music.

That's dependent on the size of the USB drive size (capacity), and the song files. Longer the duration, bigger the file. Higher quality (higher bitrate), bigger the file.

The reader definitely shouldn't have a limit lower than 100. Whether or not there is a finite set limit, I don't know.

After having the TSB update so that USB can resume, I attempted to put about 4500 songs on a FAT32 formatted 64G USB drive. It took a while to initialize, but eventually, only about 1900 songs were recognized.

I use Mediamonkey to sync USB drives, and haven't had any issues until now. I had to use an external format program to get the 64G USB drive to be FAT32. Not sure if that is causing a problem.

So I bought a 32gb stick today and I was wondering if there is anyway to get the HU on the 2016 to shuffle the songs? I'm sure there is but I'm new to all this tech!

So I bought a 32gb stick today and I was wondering if there is anyway to get the HU on the 2016 to shuffle the songs? I'm sure there is but I'm new to all this tech!

I think this thread is addressing the 2014-2015 head unit. The 2016 is a completely different (and upgraded) beast.

Yes, in the 2016 go into settings, there is a shuffle mode there.

Yes, in the 2016 go into settings, there is a shuffle mode there.

I was making it more difficult than it was trying to look through settings when the shuffle button is right there on the home screen. BUT I've still got a problem. Every time I start my car, the "shuffle" playlist starts all over again. It starts with 50 Cent always (which is annoying) cuz I guess numbers come before letters but I can live with that. I hit next (while in shuffle mode) and it plays Pavement, next Bob Marley, next Pinback etc...Then when I get in the car again, it starts all over, exact same songs, exact same order. Do I have to pull the stick out every time to re-set it or something?

Last edited:
I was making it more difficult than it was trying to look through settings when the shuffle button is right there on the home screen. BUT I've still got a problem. Every time I start my car, the "shuffle" playlist starts all over again. It starts with 50 Cent always (which is annoying) cuz I guess numbers come before letters but I can live with that. I hit next (while in shuffle mode) and it plays Pavement, next Bob Marley, next Pinback etc...Then when I get in the car again, it starts all over, exact same songs, exact same order. Do I have to pull the stick out every time to re-set it or something?

I used my 'shuffle mode' just today on a 40 mile round trip and it did not do that...of course i was playing a CD. I have nothing on a stick.. (but i have a ton of cassettes i can't play) ha ha :( Try playing the same stick on a computer or other device using shuffle and see if it does the same thing?

If this has been posted before -forgive the repeat...but the touch screen can 'NOT' be used to make changes when driving in the 2016 CX-5, you must use the console. You can only use the touch screen, when the car is stopped, this includes repeat, shuffle etc. which is located across the bottom of the touch screen.

Back