maximum miles on potenzas?

just curious if i hold the record or not... i managed to get 29,000 miles out of the stock potenzas....

granted they were toast.... just a bit into the wear indicators..... :)

i'm pretty good about rotating, and keeping the tire pressure correct....and i haven't been very hard on these tires.

anyone else top 29k?

i've probably got 20k'ish on mine and ive got really wierd tire wear on the front 2 (well now all 4), just on the outside about 1 inch away from the edge the tread is basicly gone. I'm assuming this is from the agressive stock alignment? the inside edge tread looks pretty deep still. Did yours wear like this?

No, replaced mine at 27,000 which I thought was pretty good considering that I tracked the car and did a lot of hard launches practicing. I thought they were pretty good tires.

What did you replace them with, or are you still on the RE-050A's?

I switched to very highly rated A/S (see sig below) due to scary banana peel performance of summer tires when temps dropped before 40 degrees. The A/S tires give up a little bit of grip at the absolute limit, but I feel safer with them on a daily driver.

Were I to put summer tires back on, the RE050A's would still be close to the top of my list. I thought they were great tires. When you see the list of very expensive high performance cars that come with them OEM, I think Mazda made a good choice.

Last edited:
i went with a set of eagle GT goodyears in the stock size. i wanted to go with the 225, but i think it would rub with this.... got a good deal, around $750, mounted, balanced, reset TPMS gadgets, road hazard, just down the road from the house...

i can tell you what i didn't like about the bridgestones... harsh ride, noisy, liked to follow any little rut in the road, did i mention NOISY? they did grip like bajeezus, going around the twisty stuff, and i think they worked great in the wet when newer. i can't say they were BAD tires... never gave me an issue, and stayed round, but man, i've owned JEEPS with quieter tires than that.

the new gts seem like good tires, and i don't want to jump to conclusions, i'll let 'em wear in a bit, but first impressions: i already like the off the line grip, and right after i put them on the car, i had to test them in a good rain, and was impressed with the wet grip.... they do wiggle a bit more in the turns, and don't feel as glued in as the bridgestones were.... that little bit of movement makes me less confident, but i knew i would be giving that up with an all-season, max-miles tire.....

i would still call this a noisy tire, but nothing like the RE050s.... took a trip up to the hill country sunday, and it was so quiet.... and the ride is improved.

my plan in a year or so (or however long it takes to find them), is to get a set of RX-8 wheels, and put a set of really grippy tires, for autoX or just every now and then when i wanted to run them.... i've lost a bit of the go-cart feel with the new rubber, which is definitely OK for the ride improvement (if it lasts). though the eagles would work fine with about 40% shaved off, i think i would want a more robust tire for flat out performance... track days and the like.

Last edited:
Mine will be toast before I hit 20K for sure. The fronts were heavily worn at 9K last fall! They were swapped around this spring when I switched from the snow tires so the backs are up front now, and they look like new, but I don't expect much of an improvement in wear and I plan to get the stickiest, highest performance all season tire I can find once they're down to the wear bars.

Pretty decent wear comrade. A little over 24K miles.
I think it will be a matter of how far I still want to drive on them. They become pretty unsafe in the rain once the wear bars are touching asphalt.

just curious if i hold the record or not... i managed to get 29,000 miles out of the stock potenzas....

granted they were toast.... just a bit into the wear indicators..... :)

i'm pretty good about rotating, and keeping the tire pressure correct....and i haven't been very hard on these tires.

anyone else top 29k?

I bought the car with 35,200, stock tires, well rotated and down to the bars all the way around. swapped em out just shy of 36K

OEM Potenzas

Original owner, 07 MS3. Rotated every 5,000 miles. Never checked inflation until the TPMS light would flash on the dash. Down to the wear bars at 22,000 miles and had six track days in them. Tire wear was nice and even. Just changed all four tires at 23,000 with Hankook Ventus V12 Evos in the OEM size, 215/45/18 size. New tires filled with nitrogen and will check the air pressure at every gas fill-up from now on.
The OEM had no grip at all at WOT on dry asphalt. Could chirp the rubber in the first four gears. I could slide and drift this car around a freeway off ramp too. I miss those old tires.
The new tires are FANTASTIC! Its funny how you adjust to things like road noises/bumps/etc. over time while driving mile after mile and when you replace all tires at once, WOW, you really notice a difference. Everything just feels sweet and quiet. (bowdown)

i've seen some bull s*** on the other forums. people going 55k on stock tires. boggles my mind. i went 20k.

i got about 26,000 miles. Mine had some life left( probably 3-4k), but I was sick of all the noise...

I'll add to the bulls***. I got 40k out of mine. And I probably have a little left in them, but they're kinda screwed up now because I had a little fun before I swapped to my star specs.

I might have a touch under 10k on the tires and they are getting kinda bald. I should get another 5k out of them until they are really toast though.

Back