Marcs_sp20's project SP20

11072009162.jpg

11072009163.jpg

11072009165.jpg

They may not suit everyones tastes, but I see it as the little things that count. Not bad for a father-son DIY job :p They didnt turn out as we planned, with years of amorall treatment, it had inbedded in the paint, so when we went to put a coat of blue on, it turned all blotchy. We decided to sand back to bare plastic..

a better photo with ok light..

17072009179.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the newest addition!!!

Here's some quick shots I took with the phone...

19072009198.jpg

19072009195.jpg

Funny thing was that we went to Wow Sight & Sound at Oxley to choose a double din DVD player for my brothers SS ute, and we both walked out with a DVD player :p

All up cost $1100, down from $1999 :eek:

Here's the specs on it..

Pioneer AVH-P5950DVD

In-dash motorised 18cm screen with integrated DVD player, AM/FM tuner and high power output
Dual Motor Drive for superior operation and rigidity
Full-width Detachable Face Panel (theft-deterrent LED)
Sub Display when screen closed
Single-chassis design

Player Features

Compatible with CD, CD-R/RW, VCD, DVD, DVD-R/RW
Suitable for double-sided and dual-layer discs
Direct Search by Title, Chapter, Time
Pause and Repeat (Chapter, Title, Disc)
Frame Play and Slow Play
Auto Play on disc insertion
Bookmark Play and Bookmark Eject
Subtitle, Angle and Language selection
Built-in MPEG 2/1 Decoder
MP3, WMA and AAC playback with ID tag
Supports MP3, WMA and AAC from CD and DVD
Supports DivX (v.6) video files from CD and DVD
Disc Title Memory and CD Text support
Disc Eject Lock selectable

LCD Monitor
Touch Screen operation
QVGA-specification TFT active matrix screen
Anti-Reflective and Fingerprint resistant screen coating
Auto switching to Rear View when reverse gear selected
5 Viewing Modes (WideScreen, 3:4, etc.)
Adjustable screen position with memory
“Half Close” (10 secs) to allow access behind screen
“Set Back” screen, 2-position selectable
TFT (Thin Film Transistor) Display
PAL and NTSC compatible
OSD (On Screen Display) for touch operation
Auto Dimmer Control

Audio Features

MOSFET 50 Watts x 4 high power
Rotary Volume Control
7-Band Graphic EQ within EEQ
Fixed Frequency and Q for EQ adjustments
SFEQ and EQ-EX not supported
5 Preset + 2 Custom EQ Mode
LPF Subwoofer Crossover (-24~+6dB by 1dB)
50/ 63/ 80/ 100/ 125Hz @ -18dB/oct.
Normal/Reverse Subwoofer Phase Selection
Direct Subwoofer Drive (from headunit power)
HPF (High Pass Filter) 50/ 63/ 80/ 100/ 125Hz @ -12dB/oct.)
Selectable 3-Mode Loudness Control
Electronic Volume / Balance / Fader controls
SLA (Source Level Adjuster)
3 prs RCA Preouts (Front + Rear + Subwoofer)
4 Volts RCA Preout Level
Spectrum Analyzer and Level Indicator

Connectivity

USB adapter ready (CD-UB100 via EXT)
AUX Input jack on rear panel ( 3.5mm) Audio / Video
iPod Video connection and control (Play, Pause, Chapter Up/Down)
Optical digital output for Dolby Digital and dts 5.1 audio
PCM Linear stereo audio output
RCA Input (L+R+Video)
RCA Video Input for Rear View Camera (not included)
RCA Output for rear screen (Video)
AV Bus Input for GEX-P5750TVP TV Tuner
Pioneer P-Bus Input, Changer, AUX, etc Control
AUX Input via CD-RB10 or CD-RB20
Bluetooth adapter ready (CD-BTB100 via P-Bus)
Parking Brake connection (on-screen safety message)

Additional Features

IR Remote Control
5-Colour selection for OSD (On Screen Display)
2-Colour button illumination (Red / Blue)
Cellular Mute / Attenuate (-20, -10dB)
Operation and Detach Face warning beep tones
System / Auto ant. Relay control
Clock

Bit the bullet & installed the strut brace this afternoon, took no longer then 15mins to disassemble the interior plastics, and another hour marking & cutting the seat belt towers to fit. Due to the beaded weld of the AutoExe's bracket construction, cutting was the only option.

Verdict? $140 well spent :D makes a substantial difference in cornering at 60km/h, makes it a lot more rigid...

Pics:

from the back
DSC00980.jpg

RHS bracket
DSC00973.jpg

LHS bracket
DSC00976.jpg

how the sub sits now
DSC00978.jpg

Going to be cutting the interior plastics on Monday afternoon, didnt have time this afternoon. Will update once done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the rear of the car after all back together:buddies:
17082009216.jpg

17082009215.jpg

17082009214.jpg

And to think this all came out...

interiorparts.jpg

To then resemble this :eek:

15082009207.jpg

Well today I purchased some seats:

22082009220.jpg

There Autotecnica seats, ADR approved, and for $300 for the pair, I couldnt leave them there! good thing about these seats is that they really hold in my fat ass, something the SP20 seats dont...

I also took the seat rails out as well for fitment, turns out the rails are 15mm wider then the anchor points on the seats, so next weekend I'll be getting some 5mm flat bar steel to make up some brackets for fitment. from centre to centre, 390mm wide, and from front to back, 255mm & 310mm respectively.

recaro rails I have are 410mm wide...

exciting times :D

Whats in store for the car after this? Not much really, get the side of the car repaired, and thats about it. front lip will come in time, but main thing is just getting out and driving it ;)

Seats are in :D

Took it for a quick spin, man, these seats hold me in (and I aint a small guy either!) The rails need a greasing as they are hard to operate, but other then that pretty good :laughing:

Pics:
28082009004.jpg

28082009005.jpg

And finally in the car :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
28082009013.jpg

And one in the light...

29082009017.jpg

they sit around 50mm higher then the standards, but after being in the car now 5 days i'm use to the height, and also the fabric is starting to stretch meaning they hold me in a lot more :clap:

Cheers
Marc

15/10/09:

Got the car booked in at Mr Muffler for changeover of rear muffler for next Wednesday, as I have purchased chicaboo's X-Force twin loop muff (when I pay the remainder off :p).

Will also be painting the cam cover, strut brace, fuse box & turtle cover. Im unsure if I want to take the CAI out & spray it metallic grey as well, what do you kids think?

I have also bought (awaiting delivery from ebay) a 3A racing pod as I can remember reading an article a couple years back in Autosalon Magazine that it came first, considering it was 2nd cheapest out of some of the big companies ;)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
16/10/09:

OMG! Im back to half stock!! :eek:
16102009207.jpg

Took the passenger one out and put the original seat back in as the missus has been getting terrible back pain from the seats, as with less rear cushioning and rigid ride with the 18's, its a little too much for her. No way im taking mine out :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
20/10/09:

Got my Dad to polish up the muff before it gets installed tomorrow morning

Before:
p0509091346.jpg

After :D:
20102009231.jpg

im over the moon with the results :D:D

Exhaust is on & loving it!

All I can say that the car is super quiet, yet I have A LOT more power at my right pedal :D

We did encounter a problem though, when I first took off I was getting a large clunk from the rear, but after a while it got a little worse. I took it back and we had found that the rear loop back into the muffler was hitting up against the rear endlink. After a chat with gav on the phone we came to the realisation that bending the exhaust hangers down would give us that space we needed to clear it when hitting a bump.

This reduced the clunk by 75%, and im assuming it'll go completely once I replace the springs & shocks in the rear...

Anyways, pics:
21102009236.jpg

21102009237.jpg

CHeers
Marc

15/11/09

JDM conversion is complete :D

11112009300.jpg

11112009295.jpg

11112009297.jpg

Some people might not like the look, but was kinda over the altezza's...

Why I said I am now all JDM, is that the US boys only got the 3 circled tails on all the Protege5's, and update the look with older style lights, basically the opposite we usually do, just with the clear lights...

25-11-2009
Got bored, so took the missus to work and took some snaps down the road, yes the car is filthy, and it aint worth cleaning due to the crap weather over the last couple days

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

Phatness!
IMG_0646.jpg

04-12-2009
Standard seats are back in ;)

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

Also took some shots of the dash with the dvd on and off ;)

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

06/12/2009

Put the guage rings in this afternoon :D

IMG_0926.jpg

Also will be booking in the car for the exhaust to be fixed next weekend, its still clunking, even with playing around with the hangers, so I think they'll need to put an extra length of tubing before the axle & making it sit higher, so bring it forward & cut & reweld the tip...

Other then that, the car drives a whole lot better ;)

09/12/2009

my new gearknob arrived!

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

Will screw it down more tomorrow, have sore hands at the mo, seeing you need to make your own thread with plastic bungs provided...

Car goes in for exhaust on Friday too! :D

Took some piccies after I washed the car this morning ;)

IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

05-01-10

These baies arrived this morning, quite quickly they left sydney yesterday morning! :eek:

IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1420.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

They are 35w H7 4300K low beam HID's, wanted to have something a little brighter, while not bring attention to myself, came out to be $110 delivered, and the quality speaks for itself!

12-01-10
did some half assed paint job on the engine bay parts, looks 100x better then it being all blue, I dont mind how you can only see part of the still blue rocker cover ;) I also added the mazda badge I bought months ago too, a little too big for the cut out, but still looks the goods :D

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

21-01-10

My replacement Ballast for HID's (which works :D)
IMG_1464.jpg

And weatherstrips for my car!

Unfortunately they have sent me the weatherstrips for a protege, and not an Astina as stated on the auction, so I have sent off an email to see if they will do a replacement with just the rears, as they are unusable to me... So in the mean time I did a dummy fit of the front:

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

The HID's are both now in, and fk they are bright! :eek:

My LaminX foglight film arrived! :D And pretty damned fast I must say, only paid for them last week!

So before:
IMG_1470.jpg

After:
IMG_1471.jpg

Full shot:
IMG_1475.jpg

With the lights on:
IMG_1477.jpg

Im not really fazed by the light output of the fogs, as the HID's fills the void.

So I went & picked up the AWR 70duro mounts from my parents this afternoon, and am stoked with the level of quality in these mounts :D:D:D:D

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

the 4pc set cost me $525 all up including delivery, considering Mazda wanted over $800! :eek:

So will be hopefully have 3 (front & both sides) done on Saturday, along with detailing the car ready for the photoshoot cruise :D

Nice, thats the last MM youll ever need its the best of the best. you know the rear is hardest one to install=) keep us posted Marc.

Efren

Thanks Efren :D

19-02-2010

So I had time this afternoon to install 2 of the 4 mounts, and although its only the drivers side & front mount done, they have improved clutch contro & wheel hop 10 fold!

Vibrations are a little different to what I am used to, as its noticeable through all gears driving in town (pretty bad around 1000-1800rpm), but you can not notice a difference doing 100k's down the highway... Its just something I will have to get use to, and would assume it will get better once all mounts are in, and have couple thousand K's are put on them..

Overall, I love them! :D:D:D

Pic of the drivers side & front mounts in:
IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

Cheers
Marc

Back