Manual Transmission whinning noise in 4th and 5th gear..... NEED HELP!!

zoomzoomMSP

Contributor
:
2003.5 MSP
So my Dad just called me asking for help, he just noticed a fairly loud whinning noise in 4th and 5th gear cruising along, no noise in 1rst, 2nd and 3rd. he bought this car about 4 months ago its a 2007 Mazda 3 HB and has a little over 80K miles on it, manual transmission. every aspect about the car was nice and clean when he bought it, one owner (female) and mostly highway miles. one thing i think about now is that it has a tow package when he bought it not sure what was towed with it and i dont know if that has any weight in this matter. so im asking if any of you guys have any idea what the noise could be. thanks

yeah gonna get him to my house tomorrow and check the fluid levels, just looking to see if this problem has been diagnosed before, in case i need to look for something else. hope my retired 75 year old dad doesnt need to dump some huge coin into a repair bill.

Everyone says to just change the oil out of it. Most of the time with transmissions if you start to hear noise coming from it the damage has been done.

thats what im affraid of. gonna get a look at it today. check for broken mounts/suspension pieces that may have caused a mis alignment, check fluid and just look for somthing obvious. but im affraid its not good news.

Back