MAM Midpipe

:
2002 Protege 5
I just bought a MAM midpipe from Chris @ SPD Racing yesterday and installed it the same day. Great guy and price, also hooked me up with a gasket I didn't even use! Let me tell you that if your looking for a cheap mod with lots of gain then its a midpipe that will replace your second cat! Once I installed that badboy, the car was asking to be taken off those ramps. I'd say an easy 5-8 whp only for $75. I'm happy with everything other than the midpipe keeps hitting my crossmember which will hopefully be cured by adding 2 washers in between to give it more space. I'll try to take pics later on after I'm finished (rofl2)

Ok, the washers didn't solve the problem.. it still vibrates and clunks against the cross member!! ERrrrRrRR >=Z I'm now thinking of getting the GT SPEC Front 4 Point Ladder Bar from Corksport.com I thought it was fixed at first after I placed the washers in but it ended coming back when I floor or push the pedal slightly more than regular. Does anyone know what I can do because I don't mind buying the ladder bar unless someone can help me out.

Here's the link to the GT Spec Ladder Bar: GTSPECBAR
Thanks for all the help -Jay

Attachments

• Midpipe1.jpg
    Midpipe1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 393
  • Midpipe2.jpg
    Midpipe2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 387
  • Midpipe3.jpg
    Midpipe3.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 382
I always start with the lesser priced thing that may fix the problem. But the awr mounts will prob help also.

is there some kind of heat shield where the midpipe goes because the corksport exhaust i just put on is rattling in that same spot

FC3s Boy said:
i would try the awr mount i think your stock one is gone

Yeh maybe I should try the AWR motor mount! Let me know when you get those in and maybe I'll try to scrape up some cash to pay for gas to get up there LoL!!

giz said:
is there some kind of heat shield where the midpipe goes because the corksport exhaust i just put on is rattling in that same spot

Nope, there's nothing in the way of the midpipe except for the cross member. (godown)

I emailed ProtegeSpeed and he replied with a pm saying that the ladder bar from GT Spec will not only stop the rattling but also allow easier access to the oil filter. (spank)
Protege_Speed said:
Kartboy Hangars helped a bit but never fixed it. The GT Spec ladder is the solution. That fixed it. As a bonus, now I have even more room to get to the oil filter. It's also alot lighter too.

apparently people still arent doing searches before posting..

gotta find that HOW TO USE INTERNET FORUMS post..

I had this exact same problem...

the midpipe stretches out the stock rubber exhaust mounts..

you either have to bend the hangers on the midpipe so it hangs higher.. or buy aftermarket urethane mounts... which I did..

just waiting for them to come in so I can install them

lamp3 said:
whats the ladder bar go for anyways?

There is a groupbuy for the ladder bar from HorsePowerFreaks.
Thread here: GT Spec Specials

I did a search on this and that but I hate searching hundreds of threads that go nowhere and answer nothing. I might try the Kartboy hangers because they're located in San Diego and it wouldn't hurt to try them and at least I'll be saving $3 on shipping.. (nana) Kartboy Hangers

As I see it I have three options, Kartboy exhaust hangers ($28), AWR motor mount ($65), or the GT SPEC ladder bar ($136). So maybe I can go from cheapest to most expensive as you mentioned until I find the remedy.

joe i told u about this ...i had this problem...i got the kart boy hangers... and the rattle sound went away...it come back for a few seconds every now and then but nothin to worry about..the hangers will fix the noise

thanks! I just emailed tom@kartboy.com so hopefully he'll get back to me asap. I hate removing hangers, a lot of wd-40 and pullage!! Has anyone ever dealt with him? I hope this works because I am really running low on funds right now especially since I might get cut from work this Friday. =( I need $$$

****.. you mean the rattling never goes away? I think this deserves some bitching at MAM .. they should fix this problem.. weld the cat on the other end of the midpipe so its not an issue...

Back