MAJOR Transmission Fluid Leak

Luken10

Took my car to the track on Saturday for the first time. The car performed fantastic, never even tried to overheat. Other than destroying a couple tires, the car was just fine. Well, at least that is what I thought. Found this after driving to school today. The underside of my car is absolutely coated with transmission fluid.

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=5AA886B2BC80B78C&resid=5AA886B2BC80B78C%21284&authkey=AOkIdh9n2n9Q0jg" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

I had no leaks at the track, so this somehow happened sometime afterwards. I am trying to figure out where the leak is coming from. It is pretty significant, and only seems to leak when the car is on and in gear. I put the car on jack stands and let it run at about 2,000 RPM in first gear for around 30 seconds. This resulted in it leaking around 2 table spoons of fluid. I couldn't locate any of the gaskets leaking. It seemed to be coming off the top, as the square part in this picture illustrates.
<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=5AA886B2BC80B78C&resid=5AA886B2BC80B78C%21283&authkey=AMHAxl6lKObmnr0" width="226" height="320" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

I am thinking it might be the O-ring on whatever the "lock brake" part is, as there isn't much else in that area that could leak. Does anyone know what that is, or have any experience with it leaking?

I just had my leaking issue fixed a few weeks ago. It turned out to be the seal on the driver's side axle. I didn't feel like messing with it and brought it to a local shop. The part was under $20, but with labor and all it was a little over $100.

I figured that would make the most sense as to where my leak would be coming from. Lots of heat/movement over tons of miles can add up. Mine were completely dry. One of the few spots on my car that doesn't have transmission fluid on it actually. Thanks for the tip, I'll probably check again next time I am under the car just to make sure.

My undercarriage was pretty bad. Just soaked with fluid and it would drip ever so slightly when parked. Hope the issue is easy to find whatever it is.

Last edited:
Finally had some time today to inspect my car further. Turns out I actually punched a hole the size of a BB in the transmission casing. My first thought was that something in the transmission was wrecked in order to cause that, but it was a little odd that my car was shifting fine all the way till I parked it. I talked to a mechanic who said sometimes there are holes in the transmission that are filled after the casing is forged, causing it to be a weak link. Not sure if that is the scenario here, but I can't think of anything else. Here is a really crappy photo of the hole.
<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=5AA886B2BC80B78C&resid=5AA886B2BC80B78C%21285&authkey=ABSp2_CqEQIA3Zk" width="180" height="320" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

I put some JB weld on it, but forgot to etch the surface... Hopefully it will be fine. I am going to pick up some Ford Motorcraft XT-M5-QS in the morning and see how everything goes.

Latest posts

Back