MAF Relocation

Brannon9827

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
To begin with I have a rebuilt engine with forged internals and a bigger turbo, FMIC w/hardpipes. I just relocated my MAF. Now I can get it to start but it immediately runs really lean and the car dies. Before I relocated the MAF the car ran pretty well. What I was wondering is if I am just missing something simple I need to look at/ fix. Or since the car has these modifications and is running very lean, I now need to upgrade to the WRX injectors?

Throttle body 6" maf 6" bov

I guess the bov can be anywhere on the cold or hot side as long as its before the maf sensor

Okay so I relocated the MAF once again. Throttle Body then about 4-5" to MAF then about 10" to BOV. Now when I start my car it has a little problem starting on the first try but after that it starts right up. It will idle okay but its a little rich. About 12-12.5 AFR. And sometimes it will fluctuate between 700-1000 rpm. This is at idle. Now when I am just sitting there I can rev the car but it goes really lean (15-18AFR) if I rev real slow. But when I hit it hard it hesitates until about 4k rpms then revs fine. But when I put the car in gear and begin to move it runs very lean to the point the car dies. This happens every time. I cant get the car moving over 5 mph. What could have gone wrong. I have double checked to make sure everything is connected. There is nothing wrong with the MAF either. The only other thing I have done is changed the barometric pressure sensor. What could be making my car run like this?

No check engine light? I would try to clean the MAF, do you have the old MAP sensor? Maybe try to reinstall it or try another

It threw a MAF high input code. Then I unplugged the sensor and re-plugged it back in, cleared the code and now there is no check engine light. Now that you said something about the old sensor I will switch back to the old to see if it changes anything. And who knows the MAF may have got dirty while moving it. I will clean it today as well.

Take a picture of your setup and post a picture for me, please.

Back