M5 Transmission Fluid

switz

:
2008 Mazda5 GT 5-spd manual
Upon recently reading the owners manual for my '08 Mazda5, I found no reference as to how often I should change the manual transmission fluid. Don't laugh, but I now have 240,000km on it with the original oil in the tranny. It shifts fine with no weird sounds.

I called the local Mazda dealer and asked them what type of fluid goes in it and they said M5. What the heck kind of fluid is that? I googled it and found out it's ATF. Is that what is supposed to go in my manual transmission?

If I'm having no problems should I even worry about changing it? Something in me is saying "Change it". I've been good about oil changes and coolant changes, but kinda forgot about the tranny. Any insight would be helpful to my many questions :)

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to use GL4/GL5 75w90 gear oil. I don't remember what the published changeout interval is, but I typically stick to around 30k miles on my manual cars between transmission fluid changes. According to my logs, I changed out my transmission oil last time with 75w90 Mobil1 synthetic.

Amsoil's website calls for 75w-90 in the manual transmission Mazda5.

I would change it.

MTX boxes are a lot less complicate than Auto and does not wear as much or build as much heat, which breaks down the fluids.

Your fluid is definitely overdue. I suspect you have grown accustom to the fluid and are generally easy on your shifting. Oil weight above is correct. Plethora of oils to choose from based on your budget/need.

FWIW, MTX fluid change is super easy and dummy proof.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ally-got-to-replacing-my-MTX-fluid&highlight=

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Just what I thought.

This confirms that I will never take my Mazda back to Mazda in Saskatoon SK. I would purchase another one from them, but they will definately not get any of my service work.

switz, did you give them your VIN? I wonder if the tech just was distracted and just gave out the generic answer for "tranny fluid for dummies", which is ATF for an auto trans.

I put Redline gear oil in my V70 at 95K mi. The old stuff looked pretty good, and from other MT cars I/my Dad have had, I think 30K mi is overly cautious. 60K-80K mi intervals should be fine unless you really put your car through the paces: dust, steep grades, track time, towing. Based on that, though, your trans is 140K km overdue. Change it out and I think you'll be back in love with it for the winter.

Before I got my Mazda5, I used to use Mobil1 synthetic 75w90 gear oil in my 2004 Corolla's manual transmission. Over the time I owned the car (8 years) I did two transmission fluid swaps, one at 40K and one at 80K. Never had any issues with the transmission ever.

switz, did you give them your VIN? I wonder if the tech just was distracted and just gave out the generic answer for "tranny fluid for dummies", which is ATF for an auto trans.

I put Redline gear oil in my V70 at 95K mi. The old stuff looked pretty good, and from other MT cars I/my Dad have had, I think 30K mi is overly cautious. 60K-80K mi intervals should be fine unless you really put your car through the paces: dust, steep grades, track time, towing. Based on that, though, your trans is 140K km overdue. Change it out and I think you'll be back in love with it for the winter.

Before I got my Mazda5, I used to use Mobil1 synthetic 75w90 gear oil in my 2004 Corolla's manual transmission. Over the time I owned the car (8 years) I did two transmission fluid swaps, one at 40K and one at 80K. Never had any issues with the transmission ever.

I guess 30k could be considered overly cautious... I beat on my cars pretty a good bit though, and 30k transmission fluid dumps are nice insurance against a crunchy shift feel. ;)

The girl I talked to had to put me on hold to ask another person what the correct fluid was. I guess when I said manual transmission to her she must have repeated automatic to the other person she asked. Maybe she doesn't beleive anyone actually drives a car that you have to shift the gears yourself anymore? Or maybe when I said 5-spd that is the same as the number of gears the new automatics have and she didn't listen carefully when I sait it was and '08. Discouraging anyways.

Four weeks ago I replaced my clutch after 83,000 miles on a 09 Speed3. I put in a brand new stock clutch pressure plate and Fidanza flywheel along with 3 quarts of FoMoCo gear oil. I now have almost 700 miles on the clutch after riding no higher than 3k rpms for the first 250 miles, the next 150-200 slight boost but still very conservative and after 500+ I started to do some WOT runs that I had no issues with. Crisp, quick, clean power shifting 1st-3rd EVERY single time. About two days ago I go to drive my car and notice that the shifter took a much greater effort to put in gear but once it went into gear it didn't grind, click or make any odd noises and would always shift just with added effort/pressure. I have continued to do a couple WOT runs and it still shifts like it came out of the dealership if not better. I also forgot to mention that once the car warms up it starts to shifter better but not completely. Could this be the master cylinder or slave, especially fresh out a brand new clutch/ flywheel install that had no previous issues for over 500 miles? Thanks

Back