Mazda TSB regarding Mazda5 ATF vs "universal" fluid: Don't do it!

:
South Carolina
:
12 MZ5 13 CX-5
I don't know how I missed this before, but I found a Mazda TSB talking about the differences between M5 and Mercon V. We all pretty much know to never use Mercon V, but some of us use "Universal" ATF. Don't! Mazda specifically states this is a bad practice and could possibly damage your transmission.

I'm sure some of y'all are going to say you've used x brand and it's fine, but personally, I'm going to keep doing what I've always done: Mazda OEM fluids only. Saving $3/quart once every 30,000 miles vs having to buy a new $3,000 transmission is a false economy to me.

Attachments

• SB-10097348-2532.pdf
    77.6 KB · Views: 138
I'm not surprised they won't approve any other fluid but their own.
It's all about trial and error on your car and I'm with you: not willing to gamble on a 3k$ transmission. Their M5 fluid is not that costly to replace more often.

It brought me a lot of memories from the other thread also mentioning the TSB:

Idemitsu M-V was the only one I used in the auto trans of both of my 2010 and 2015 mazda5. No issues but I haven't covered enough mileage to draw my conclusion.

Yes, you have to jack it up and remove the bottom cover. Just do it during a regular oil change. And yes the filter is inside the pan.

Read the TSB. It clearly states NO.
There is also a letter released by Valvoline saying theirs is a replacement.
Have you noticed any difference between Mazda fluid and the Valvoline fluid (Merc V?)?

I used this Valvoline fluid for PS - it has a strong smell. I never had the chance to smell Mazda fluid! Asked the dealer while there for a service but he didn't.

I've used Maxlife on Volvo, Sienna, Odyssey, and a RAV4. It worked perfectly fine on all those cars, and it solved shifting issues or worked with no ill effects. Wondering if anyone else may have took a chance. If their transmission is going to scrap heap anyway, it would be a good experiment to try. I am not doubting Mazda, it's just a curiosity. I'd use OEM fluid anyway.

Last edited:
I have a 2008 model with over 150,000 miles on it. I have done a couple drain/fills the last 60,000 miles using the Valvoline MaxLife with no issues.

Back