M5, steel rims and TPMS

fdsailor

A simple question - based on limited research (Tire Rack), I cannot seem to find 16 inch steel rims that also work with TPMS. The claim is that the shape of the TPMS unit does not work in the steel rims, I think due to the thickness of the rim itself. I don't really want to get aluminum rims at hundreds extra just for this feature. Has anyone else found a suitable steel rim, especially at an acceptable price (i.e. Mazda dealerships not likely to meet this criterion).

Also, secondary to this question, but can anyone find a real reason if I "downsize" to 16 inch rims (for pure winter tires), that I should not also downsize to 195/60 profile? Otherwise, downsizing doesn't make sense to me, unless I can get a narrower tire for my trouble. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Chuck

A simple question - based on limited research (Tire Rack), I cannot seem to find 16 inch steel rims that also work with TPMS. The claim is that the shape of the TPMS unit does not work in the steel rims, I think due to the thickness of the rim itself. I don't really want to get aluminum rims at hundreds extra just for this feature. Has anyone else found a suitable steel rim, especially at an acceptable price (i.e. Mazda dealerships not likely to meet this criterion).

Also, secondary to this question, but can anyone find a real reason if I "downsize" to 16 inch rims (for pure winter tires), that I should not also downsize to 195/60 profile? Otherwise, downsizing doesn't make sense to me, unless I can get a narrower tire for my trouble. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Chuck

TPMS is not compatible with steel wheels as far as I know. Most people around here that run winter tires on steel wheels do without the TPMS sensors for the winter and just put black tape over the indicator light on the instrument panel. The only reason we even have TPMS on our vehicles is due to government mandate as a result of vehicle rollovers. Just check your tire pressure once a month or more frequent if it makes you happy and cover up the light on the dash.

As for tire size, as a New Englander who has experienced many harsh winters with snow, ice, slush and rain, I am an advocate for a "minus 1" winter tire setup. If I were to put winter tires on my 5, hands down I would go with a 16" wheel with a narrower 195/60-16 tire. The most unstoppable vehicle I've ever driven in harsh New England winter conditions was a Toyota Tercel with studded BF Goodrich 155/80-13 tires. That little car was a veritable snow plow. At the time I owned it I lived on a mountain road with a 16% grade and would routinely pass 4X4 vehicles stuck or losing traction. The thing would also stop on a dime with those narrow, grippy tires that would bite into snow and ice easily (and that was without ABS/VSC/TPMS, etc!)

Good luck and be sure to check with your local tire stores to see if they can price match with tirerack. Given the state of the economy most are willing to deal and it's kinda nice spending your money within the local economy although I have nothing personal against Tirerack.com.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Thanks,
Chuck

Downsizing to 195/60 16 is actually really simple. It increases the pressure on the contact patch. yes you have a smaller contact patch but their is pore pressure applied to it. It is suposed to help with pressing down through the snow and slush.

As far as the TPMS goes, just contact the manufacturer of the TPMS you bought, they should be able to tell you if it will work with steel rims!

As I search for 195/60R16 studless snows - there are not many options unfortunately.

I am shopping now for winter studless snow tires, debating between 205/55R16 and 195/60/R16 to be mounted on Progete5 rims.

michael.

What exactly does the car do if no TP sensors

OK, ready to consider using the steel rims and ignoring the light. I looked in the manual and it mentioned two things, which leads me to two questions, both related to operation when there are not sensors on the rims:
  1. The manual mentions a 3 second alarm tone. Does this apply when there are no sensors ('system malfunction'), or just when it finds a low or high pressure? I can put tape over a light, but the tone could get annoying. Also, if present, is the tone just once per power cycle, or repetetive?
  2. Also flashing - I have to look to see WHERE on the dashboard it is, but... if I cover it with tape, will there still be enough leakage light I will just be annoyed at night?

Any insight will be appreciated. In the meanwhile, planning on partially testing by deflating a tire a bit on purpose.
-Chuck

As I search for 195/60R16 studless snows - there are not many options unfortunately.

I am shopping now for winter studless snow tires, debating between 205/55R16 and 195/60/R16 to be mounted on Progete5 rims.

michael.

Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 comes in 195/60R16.

I went with 205/60R16 Toyo Observe G-02 Plus myself. The savings of 16" tires over 17" tires is enough reason to downsize.

Repost: What exactly does the car do if no TP sensors

Sorry for the repost, the topic got a bit misdirected. But I'm sure someone, anyone who is using winter tires with no TPMS included will know the exact answer to this post - could someone help me out please?

When no TPMS sensors are installed in the mounted tires, what EXACTLY does the car do?

The manual mentions a 3 second alarm tone. Does this apply when there are no sensors ('system malfunction'), or just when it finds a low or high pressure? I can put tape over a light, but the tone could get annoying. Also, if present, is the tone just once per power cycle, or repetetive?

Also flashing - I see where the light is, and can believe that I can put a black tape spot there to block it - but for people who have done this, when driving at night, is the leakage light flashing away annoying? Opinions?

Thanks, all! I need to order tires soon, winter is coming!

Sorry for the repost, the topic got a bit misdirected. But I'm sure someone, anyone who is using winter tires with no TPMS included will know the exact answer to this post - could someone help me out please?

When no TPMS sensors are installed in the mounted tires, what EXACTLY does the car do?

The manual mentions a 3 second alarm tone. Does this apply when there are no sensors ('system malfunction'), or just when it finds a low or high pressure? I can put tape over a light, but the tone could get annoying. Also, if present, is the tone just once per power cycle, or repetetive?

Also flashing - I see where the light is, and can believe that I can put a black tape spot there to block it - but for people who have done this, when driving at night, is the leakage light flashing away annoying? Opinions?

Thanks, all! I need to order tires soon, winter is coming!

IMHO, people make way too much of a big deal about the TPMS light being on when running our winter set ups. I hardly notice my light, either night or day, it really isnt a big deal. No need for me to put tape over it and end up with leftover residue on my car. The "buzzer" only works with the sensors installed when the tires are low, no sensors no alarm. hope this helps

Back