low speed clicking noise in right rear wheel of 2016 CX5

:
2014 Mazda CX5
My 2016 CX5 has around 22k miles on it (already) and lately I've been hearing this clicking noise at low speeds that seems to be coming from the right rear wheel. It goes away when I apply my brakes and either goes away or is masked at higher speeds. Was going to pull the wheel, but wondered what to even look for if I did? Is this something to be concerned about? Warranty item? Often they tend to say brakes aren't covered under warranty and I don't want to get socked with hundreds of dollars by the dealer. Someone in another thread said it might be normal, that the dealer told them it was the ABS doing checks or something. If so, then why didn't it do this when it was new? Doesn't make much sense to me.(uhm)

Check your tire tread, maybe a pebble or debris lodged in there. Also could be some debris in the caliper so check that too. I once had a styrofoam cup caught in the caliper (unbelievably), but that caused a fascinating and terrifying amount of sudden noise.

Maybe retorque your lugnuts. Could also be a rear CV joint.

took the wheel off and could see nothing. looked all around the rotor can't seem to place the noise. tried turning the wheel with the car in neutral but cannot recreate the sound. put the wheel back on and it's still doing it. lug nuts are tight as i always do them. going to have to take it in to the dealer probably. i guess it's more of a grating noise. i can't imagine it's the brake pads. though they look kind of worn for 22k miles, you'd think the noise would increase when i apply the brakes but it goes away instead for some reason. nothing in the tire treads either. the tires are a bit worn but no visible problems.

Last edited:
I'd further inspect the brake pads. Remove and clean and measure. They are common to wear premature it seems. Especially in how your describing the symptoms being low speed and going away when brakes applied.

Will do. May as well replace them. I know in my 2014 (that I rolled) the rear brakes and rotors were shot already at about 55k miles. must make them pretty thin anymore to save weight.

The stoptech oem replacment I bought are a lot thicker than the oem pads

I had the same problem a month ago. Kept on hearing that sound. Was my driver side rear wheel. Took it to the dealer. They said the rotor waarped some and the pad was down to nothing and that noise was the pad indicator. I had the same exact symptoms and could not figure out what the problem was. All the other breaks were fine everwhere else. I could not get covered under warrently. I have 34K on the car but just pasted 3 years in July. So instead of them wanting 550 plus tax I got it for 380 and tax came to 406 total. new Rotors in the back and Pad. No more issue

I bitched a lot saying the price was way to high and also that this should not have happened. why would the other wheels.brakes be just fine. They tried to come up will all sorts of excuses, just keep on pushing

I had the same problem with my 2014 CX5 but it was the front rotors that were shot at 25k miles. This car is probably starting to do the same thing at lower miles. The fix before was to switch to NAPA rotors and pads. I may just do that when it gets worse. Too cold to work on it now. :-D They must put really crap rotors on the new cars. Light to save weight, but premature failure. I've never had to replace rotors in most of my other cars until it hit over 100k miles.

i guess they don't have their site updated for 2016 cars yet. Mazda doesn't show up. probably the same rotors as 2015?

I might have been wrong. Today after I started home it sounded like it was coming from the front (like my last CX5). I'll have to pull the wheel. No wonder I couldn't recreate the sound by moving the back wheel. Must have just gotten bad enough to sound like where it's actually coming from.

Update - Noticed it's getting worse and definitely sounds like the front. Almost sounds like CV joints to me. Creaking when I take a left turn. Dealer will probably say i ran over something and it voided the warranty i'll bet. I'll crawl under it tomorrow night. Going to let the undercarriage dry after all this rain we've had. Might be easier to spot something then.

Last edited:
i guess they don't have their site updated for 2016 cars yet. Mazda doesn't show up. probably the same rotors as 2015?

I don't drive a CX5 but I imagine they're the same. Still, I'd call 1st to make sure. Sorry for the semi-worthless link.

If the noise is coming from the front, does it get especially bad when you back up? Check the CV joints. Actually, look at those axles anyway...do they look dry or like something's been getting them wet or dirty? If wet or dirty, there's your problem.

well was going to crawl under my car till I looked and realized the whole engine is covered by a big plastic shield so i don't know how i could have possibly ruined the CV joint. took it to the dealer today but they can't get to it till next wednesday. he at least rode in the car with me and verified the noise. he checked my inspection record from october. driver's side brake pad was 9/32" but the noise is coming from the passenger side. really sounding like a creaking noise at this point and much more prominent on left hand turns than right. will pull the passenger wheel tomorrow. i hate working in the cold at night.

madar wins the kewpie doll. it was actually the right front wheel. it may not have been tightened enough. i rotated my tires about 2k miles ago and may not have got it tighter after i put it down. took the wheel off and put it back on after not seeing any apparent damage and after i got it good and tight the noise stopped. must be getting old-timer's disease. i once took my miata to a local mechanic to get it inspected and as i drove up the hill the wheel sounded funny so i pulled over right away. apparently the mechanic had only put the lug nuts on a few turns each. they weren't even touching the wheel. the weight of the car was the only thing holding them on. glad i stopped! he must have gotten a phone call or something after he put them on and thought he'd already tightened them. so i'm nearly as bad, although the lug nuts were pretty tight but not as tight as they should be.

Are you using a torque wrench?

Last edited:
Back