Lotta road noise

mclark999

:
2013 CX-5 Sport AWD Automatic
One thing bothering me about my CX-5 is the amount of roadnoise at freeway speeds. I don't have a sunroof and its not windnoise. I'm hearing a lot of noise from the tires on the road. Any thoughts on soundproofing?

I was thinking for spraying some extra undercoating in the wheel well areas. I noticed that the wheel wells are clad with panels made of some sort of fiber board material. They hang away from the car and create some boxed in areas that I'm thinking are amplifying the noise.

Do you think it would do any good to pull these off and spray them on both sides with some rubberized undercoating?

^ Regarding elevated road noise, compared to what car(s)? I haven't noticed much difference from Lexus/Mercedes/Ford/Toyota owned and driven.

The coarse high traction road surfaces in your region might be contributing factor.

Last edited:
Cool, the Kia Soul and hamsters like it too, (they tend to be very quiet). I noticed you mentioned in your other post that
"The Soul was fun, however, it was noisy on the highway".

I drove a 2011 Kia Sportage (a comparable awd compact SUV), it was very similar to CX-5 in terms of road noise.

The solution that will have the most impact is different carefully selected tires.

Last edited:
CX-SV,

A Very True Statement! Sound insulation also helps. The Soul doesn't have it considering it's price point. Bottom-line, I paid $10,000.00 more for my CX-5 than I did for the Soul. It should be quiet! ;-)

Check the air in your tires. Mine was set to 58lbs when i picked it up. so much for the pre-delivery check........................

It should be quiet! ;-)

Car brands have typical traits that are shared among models. Some positive, some negative.

If you were to pick any car writer, and ask for the most obvious positive and negative for Mazda....

The positive would be excellent driving dynamics (which has come to be explained in marketing terms as "Zoom Zoom").
The negative would be NVH - Noise/Vibration/Harshness.

But nearly all reviews I've read have stated that the improvement in the CX-5 is a massive and ups the ante for Mazda in terms of quality.

Wheels Magazine June 2011
"this is one Mazda that feels sophisticated in its ride and NVH suppression. There are no cutting remarks to be made about road noise, or any remarks at all, which is as it should be"

The Motor Report April 2011
"It’s untroubled by rippled tarmac, is quieter than both the Mazda3 and 6 on coarse bitumen (its NVH is surprising good)"

The Global Mail (Canada) March 2011: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...cx-5-reaches-for-the-skyactiv/article2369451/
"As well, the CX-5 is remarkably quiet on the highway, with excellent NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) and minimal wind noise."

Auto Express UK
"The isolation of road noise at speed is the best in the class, while the ride is supple and well judged."

I've owned several Mazda's and can say without a doubt that it is massive difference stepping into the CX-5. I have the 19" tyres, which are known to be the noisiest and harshest ride. But it's extremely quiet.

Mazda had to get NVH right in this model. They've received more complaints about NVH with their vehicles than any.
Cabin measurements show the CX-5 to be the quietest model they have. A characteristic that should carry over to Skyactiv vehicles in future.

For this model, the invested in a lot of noise detection tests. One of the tools they used was a special camera rig that used many directional microphones to convert sound into hotspots on the video footage. They used this over the entire vehicle to reduce the sound to benchmark levels. This was used for example to make the CX-5 Diesel clear the quietest in the class. So much so, a lot of media reports mistake it for a petrol engine.

The microphone camera rig determined where noise suppression could applied specifically in the engine bay. And because it was dictated by noise alone, they didn't need to add extra weight by adding suppression materials to the areas that didn't add to the noise picture in the first place.

This method allowed noises to be reduced by between 30 and 40% but not to add too much to weight.

The Diesel is surprisingly quiet, but it should be. It has the lowest compression of any diesel, and is much smaller and has much higher revs than competing diesels (about 1/2 between tradition petrols and traditional diesels).

Conversely it's a hard job for Mazda to reign in a petrol engine that has compression higher than that of your average Ferrari. The direct fuel injection is at very high pressures, and the engine bay had to have a lot of noise suppression applied to bring noises down.

Some publications are describing the diesel as a bit coarse and noisy at low revs below 2000 rpm, but we don't need to derail another thread with unrelated info. And the gas engine (actaully OP's engine) is described by some publications as loud at high revs, which it certainly is compared to premium sixes and V8's.

But the OP brought up concerns about road noise, not engine noise. And most publications (as well as many of owners) see the road noise to be normal for this class of SUV. Careful selection of tireS will have more impact than aftermarket sound insulation. Road noise transmission is mainly through chassis ( tires and suspension mounting).

My reference point is a first gen Scion Xb on California roads, which are not the best. I'm going to check tire pressures. I have noticed its much different depending on road surfaces. I did just move to Colorado and the CX-5 is the only car I've driven for more than a long test ride.

My reference point is a first gen Scion Xb on California roads, which are not the best. I'm going to check tire pressures. I have noticed its much different depending on road surfaces. I did just move to Colorado and the CX-5 is the only car I've driven for more than a long test ride.

I'm familiar with the 2004 Xb, I bought one new for a family member years ago. It's not bad from a road noise standpoint, on OEM 15" alloy wheel/tire 185/60/15 combo. It's a typical refined Toyota product (better than most small cars).

You are not comparing on same road surfaces, since the CO high-traction surfaces are different and must standup to repeated freeze/thaw cycles.

I can say for certain that warm states have much smoother quieter roads than up north. Chicago roads to Florida roads...its like driving on a cloud down there.

Careful selection of tireS will have more impact than aftermarket sound insulation. Road noise transmission is mainly through chassis ( tires and suspension mounting).

On our Protege5 I spent a ton of time and money on sound deadening and the one thing that made the biggest difference was finally getting a quiet set of tires on it. I went through a lot of different ones on it too, unfortunately because so many reviews were with heavy cars that are quiet anyways. When we first bought our 3 last fall the first thing I did was swap out the tires (and then I added some sound deadening too).

The road noise and ride are my biggest concerns with the next car and unfortunately, they aren't always easy to get a read on during a test drive as some noises only get noticeable and annoying after awhile and some don't show up until you get on the wrong pavement.

I have to add my experience here. The stock yokohamas are very noisy with me as well. I drive the Sport MT and although I love the way it drives, the noise is really loud, especially on slightly rough roads, whereas on newly paved roads it disappears. I will probably trade those out for some less noisy tires as soon as I am able to afford it. Soundproofing sounds like the last step. Try changing tires first. Which ones, I do not know yet... anybody out there changed from stock to something else?

I was thinking for spraying some extra undercoating in the wheel well areas. I noticed that the wheel wells are clad with panels made of some sort of fiber board material. They hang away from the car and create some boxed in areas that I'm thinking are amplifying the noise.

Do you think it would do any good to pull these off and spray them on both sides with some rubberized undercoating?

Most folks I know that have done this on other cars have found it doesn't help much. One thing I've found to work is lining the rear tire well and area under the Rear floor with Second skin Damplifier (like Dynamat but cheaper). I've done this on several cars (corvette, Mustang, Audi TT) and it has helped noticeably..

IMG_2817-vi.jpg

Replacing the front speakers yesterday I could see there is next to no sound deadening material on the doors. I'll add some before I close it up and report back.

One thing bothering me about my CX-5 is the amount of roadnoise at freeway speeds. I don't have a sunroof and its not wind noise. I'm hearing a lot of noise from the tires on the road. Any thoughts on soundproofing?

Compared to my MX-5 Miata, it's super-quiet.

One thing bothering me about my CX-5 is the amount of roadnoise at freeway speeds. I don't have a sunroof and its not windnoise. I'm hearing a lot of noise from the tires on the road. Any thoughts on soundproofing?

I assume your CX has 17's and those standard tires are major contributer of road noise. The standard Toyo 19's are pretty quiet.

Also I suspect the freeways might be concrete (in order to endure freezing winter conditions), noisier than asphalt surfacing.

Replacing the front speakers yesterday I could see there is next to no sound deadening material on the doors. I'll add some before I close it up and report back.

Putting sound deadening in the doors helped quite a bit with road noise. If you change speakers, you might as well do it.

There is zero dampening material on the door panel itself.

Back