Looking to Purchase CX-5--Couple of Questions

dblgoat

:
07 VW Passat Wagon, 3.6
Planning on replacing my Passat Wagon in the next few months and considering the CX-5 GT.

I've taken a test drive and the performance was fine, but wondering how is the acceleration with 4 adults in the CX-5??

Also, has anyone out there gotten 4 golf bags in the cargo area with the rear seat backs up??

Thanks!!

Planning on replacing my Passat Wagon in the next few months and considering the CX-5 GT.

I've taken a test drive and the performance was fine, but wondering how is the acceleration with 4 adults in the CX-5??

These engines cope with extra weight pretty well because they have broad torque bands with no major dips/flat spots. Mostly it's a matter of driving skill and awareness. If you know how to work the accelerator pedal to effect appropriate downshifts, you will be fine. If you treat the accelerator too timidly, you will find yourself stuck in too high of a gear and will think it's gutless.

My 2.0L is down 30 HP vs. the 2.5L (and I have AWD). Loaded with four big guys and winter mountain gear it's no problem going up the steep grades to the ski area. I didn't need to run the engine into that raspy sounding range between 5-6000 rpm's but I was definitely between 3-5000 a lot. No problem. In the 2.5L the extra 30 HP will insure it's not an issue (unless you drive really timidly).

Can't answer the golf clubs question.

Get the 2.5L engine. It is very good with 4-5 people inside.

4 bags will fit vertically on top of each other.

Also, has anyone out there gotten 4 golf bags in the cargo area with the rear seat backs up??

Thanks!!
I don't golf.
I have found that with 3 adults of typical size, performance is fine. It doesn't destroy confidence on mountain roads or highway merges. The gearing and low-rpm torque of the 2.5L and its 6-speed are very well matched to this vehicle and its purpose.

Not sure how practical this is for you, but I'd suggest taking 3 friends to the dealership for a test drive if possible and if this is a big deal for you. You'll find so many different opinions about the car's acceleration that it may be worth your effort to try to simulate it on a test drive. Or go when the dealership isn't busy, bring a box of donuts and convince 3 salesmen to go on the test drive with you. :)

Which does nothing except make people feel like they're going faster than they are. I think it would be a highly annoying feature and am glad my 2015 doesn't have it.

Oh - so you don't HAVE it, but you "think" it would be a highly annoying feature...

Well, as someone who DOES have it, and HAS toggled between BOTH settings WITH 3 other people IN the car, *I* can say that there IS a difference; but hey, what do *I* know...

Oh - so you don't HAVE it, but you "think" it would be a highly annoying feature...

Well, as someone who DOES have it, and HAS toggled between BOTH settings WITH 3 other people IN the car, *I* can say that there IS a difference; but hey, what do *I* know...

We should give Unobtanium a break. He only uses his car to make toast. I assume his car isn't even moving for that use so the Sport mode would do nothing.

You probably know it doesn't enter Sport Mode shift algorithms unless you manually turn on Sport Mode.

Which makes me (uhm), how can a feature be "annoying" if you never turn it on?

Mazda has golf bag fitting instructions in the owners manual just for you!
jUrvX6S.png

https://www.mymazda.com/MusaWeb/pdf/manuals/2014_CX5_OM.pdf

piotrek91--Thanks for your post!!! I'll have to think about these instructions since most Drivers are 45-46" long and I don't see how they would fit between the wheel housings as I measured it at only 42". I'll have to make a trip to the dealer to remeasure.

Agree 100%. It does make a difference for sure. I love it. I don't use it often but when I do, I love it. Surprised it'd make such a difference.

piotrek91--Thanks for your post!!! I'll have to think about these instructions since most Drivers are 45-46" long and I don't see how they would fit between the wheel housings as I measured it at only 42". I'll have to make a trip to the dealer to remeasure.

It is only 42" measured straight between the wheel wells but note the loading instructions describe diagonal loading.

Latest posts

Back