Looking to Buy- feedback?

drock02

I'm looking to possibly buy a mazda 6 or MS6. Does anyone have any feedback about common issues:

Engine- oil consumption etc.
Trans- notchy gears etc.
Fit and finish- squeaks etc.

Who actually makes the engine in these cars?

Any feedback would be appreciated. I've had some issues with cars before.

I had an 03 Acura TL- tranny got so hot the fluid boiled (common in the 5 spd autos- Acura extended trans warranty till 100,000 in all autos)
I had an 03 Maxima that went through 2 quarts between oil changes (also a common problem, the fix...eng replacement)
I had an 04 Mustang GT with the worst 5psd I've ever driven (grinding gears in the cold weather (TSB issued- weak gears..too much fluid from the factory- still never was right)

drock02 said:
This actually hurts to say....but upon research, looks like Ford makes the engine...ouch.

No they do not.

The MS6 uses a 2.3L turbocharged 4-cylinder designed and built by Mazda. The MS6 is built in Japan.

Well, I just realized I mis-read your original post. I thought you were only looking at the MS6.

The Mazda6s uses a Duratec (Ford) 3.0L V6. The Mazda6i uses a 2.3L I4 Mazda engine.

And like I said above, the MS6 uses a direct injection turbocharged 2.3L I4 Mazda engine.

drock02 said:
This actually hurts to say....but upon research, looks like Ford makes the engine...ouch.

Why post the question if you can go find what you think is the answer.

But jersey_emt is right the v6 is ford the four cylinder is Mazda.

Good work jersey_emt!!!

Speed6 Guy said:
Why post the question if you can go find what you think is the answer.

But jersey_emt is right the v6 is ford the four cylinder is Mazda.

Good work jersey_emt!!!

Figured I'd go to the experts....the owners....thanks for the info

I still can't believe the MS6 has a 4 banger with over 250 horse and gets 14mpg avg. Although I like the look and options of the MS6 (AWD is a huge plus), I'd probably be looking to get a plain 6s. I've had 4 cyl in the past and never keep them very long (not that I keep anything more than 6 months). Plus mpg is a turnoff. I'd be looking for a V8 if I didn't care about fuel economy.

Anyway, does anyone have any feedback on the V6? I test drove brand new back in 03, but don't recall how it drove. I remember liking the fit and finish, but who wouldn't on a brand new car.

I do mostly city driving with my MS6 and average about 22mpg.
fit and finish - I'm really happy with my car, no squeaks yet (knock on wood) but I only have 8k miles.
Gears - 1st to 2nd is a little notchy, but from what I hear the short shifter from twm clears that right up.
Oil - I can't answer that one, I take mine to the dealership.

Good luck on your search hope the website can help you out.

Last edited by a moderator:
i drive my car hard (4k on the clock) no oil consumption really. i changed it at 2k, and after checking it out a bit ago, its perfect level.

jersey_emt said:
The MS6 gets far better MPG than 14...don't know where you are getting your info from.

A guy I work with has one and apparently says he drives hard! That's 99% around town miles too.

Looks like others on this board are saying similar under the "main gripes" thread.

drock02 said:
Figured I'd go to the experts....the owners....thanks for the info

I still can't believe the MS6 has a 4 banger with over 250 horse and gets 14mpg avg. Although I like the look and options of the MS6 (AWD is a huge plus), I'd probably be looking to get a plain 6s. I've had 4 cyl in the past and never keep them very long (not that I keep anything more than 6 months). Plus mpg is a turnoff. I'd be looking for a V8 if I didn't care about fuel economy.

Anyway, does anyone have any feedback on the V6? I test drove brand new back in 03, but don't recall how it drove. I remember liking the fit and finish, but who wouldn't on a brand new car.

I've been getting 25mpg on my last few tanks. When I first got the car it was more like 22.

I'm around 21-22mpg for suburb driving (mostly 35-45 with stop signs and a few traffic lights).

Take a look at these threads for more info about complaints and other options...
main gripe you MS6 owners have?
Second/Next Choice after the MS6

The Mazda6 and Mazdaspeed6 are two different beasts. The Mazda6 is a sporty (and better looking IMO) alternative to the Camry or Accord while falling a little short in gas mileage and fit/finish in base trim. The Mazdaspeed6 was meant to compete with the likes of Audi and BMW (on their low end of the scale) and does so quite nicely if you consider the price advantage. There is no replacement for a BMW but the extra power you get from the MS6 at the 30K price point fills a niche between expensive german luxury and japanese midsize econobox. You should cross shop the cars in this review.

drock02 said:
A guy I work with has one and apparently says he drives hard! That's 99% around town miles too.

Looks like others on this board are saying similar under the "main gripes" thread.

Well there's your answer. 14mpg is not unheard of if it's all stop & go traffic, no highway miles, and if he flat-foots it all the time.

Drive a little more "normally" and you'll see acceptable MPG figures. And you don't have to drive like a grandma 100% of the time to see them.

You'll know when you are getting poor mileage, you can go through the gears and keep it out of boost and still keep up with traffic. The car will feel a little sluggish with sparing amounts of throttle. Sometimes I wonder if the turbo is working its magic. A little more generousity with the throttle reminds me it is still there.

MS6 w/5000 miles, zero oil consumption for me. Averaging 23 mpg, city/hwy 50% driving. I have the TWM short shifter installed, transmission is very smooth shifting to me. Fit an finish very good as I expected, being made in Japan. No problems to report either. I love the car..............for the price, I don't think there's a better value on the market at the moment.

Did I say that I love this car yet?

Back