Looking at the CX-9 from the other side?

Lol true. He is in cx9 utopia land. Sorento is better even today.

Without looking at the logo on the grill (which I've tried to blank out), could the average person who does not own either the Sorento or the Pacific, even distinguish the difference here:

IEV0XnpOEzTt7jJdO1HaCB0zdAQEl4.png

ReJtwAJcrrPEYTAQ6SVvU3eNSwUVon.png

Where's the SUV? I can't tell. Can you? How can you tell?

Oh, wait a minute.... there's the SUV:

OaJMsSWW11RY0bdEbany3lbQq6zMtJ.png

I knew there had to be one around here somewhere, LOL!

Without looking at the logo on the grill (which I've tried to blank out), could the average person who does not own either the Sorento or the Pacific, even distinguish the difference here:

(trolls)

Your sister-in-law might have a point! I kinda like the new 2018 Honda CRV from the outside, that is. I wonder why.... (initiate daydream sequence). Oh! I know why! Maybe it is because that new tail-light assembly looks strikingly similar to the Volvo design and the overall mode shape of the CRV now leans toward the overall mode shapes found in the new CX-9. Ah, yes. I knew there was something nagging at me about the new CRV. (shady)

Maybe, she's in love with the performance and the new looks?

I can see how this would appeal to a lot of Women. .
My sister-in-law in love with the performance and new looks? Let me explain.
She has about as much interest in cars as I have in shopping for curtains with my wife.
She couldn't tell you one single fact about what makes her CR-V go. Engine size? Transmission type? What are you talking about. Features and options? Huh?
She is the ultimate definition of a car buyer that sees them as appliances, and nothing more. I doubt she even remembers what colour it is.
Her and her husband said they needed a new car, and the only thing they knew about cars was what they were currently driving. Their old POS 2005 CR-V.
They simply couldn't be bothered doing any shopping around, research, etc.
Like I said, they walked into the Honda dealership and bought the first one they saw.
They bought a car like I would buy a quart of milk.
There are lots of car buyers like them out there, (and you won't find them on any car enthusiast forum...lol)

Oh, wait a minute.... there's the SUV:

OaJMsSWW11RY0bdEbany3lbQq6zMtJ.png

I knew there had to be one around here somewhere, LOL!

Yep, that car based grocery getter is soooooooooooooooo rugged. Wow.

The signal to noise ratio in this forum has gotten worse...

The front of the Pacifica looks better than the Sorento...unfortunately the Sorento looks more like a minivan disguised as an SUV similar to rides like the Pilot

The CX9 is a looker for sure. But that black trim with Chrome on it is so out of place adding to the unnecessary cheap out. When I was at the dealer for my Mazda6 service, I took another gander at the CX9. Another thing that irked the hell out of me is the 3rd row feet room. There is hardly any room for the feet to even slide under the 2nd row seats. 3rd row is strictly kiddie row.

The CX9 is a looker for sure. But that black trim with Chrome on it is so out of place adding to the unnecessary cheap out. When I was at the dealer for my Mazda6 service, I took another gander at the CX9. Another thing that irked the hell out of me is the 3rd row feet room. There is hardly any room for the feet to even slide under the 2nd row seats. 3rd row is strictly kiddie row.

There are more and more manufacturers putting chrome accents on vehicles nowadays esp in mainstream brands so whether you like it or not or where on the vehicle they put them this seems to be the trend in the industry

I like chrome accents but not on cheap matte black plastic.

My sister-in-law in love with the performance and new looks? Let me explain.
She has about as much interest in cars as I have in shopping for curtains with my wife.
She couldn't tell you one single fact about what makes her CR-V go. Engine size? Transmission type? What are you talking about. Features and options? Huh?
She is the ultimate definition of a car buyer that sees them as appliances, and nothing more. I doubt she even remembers what colour it is.
Her and her husband said they needed a new car, and the only thing they knew about cars was what they were currently driving. Their old POS 2005 CR-V.
They simply couldn't be bothered doing any shopping around, research, etc.
Like I said, they walked into the Honda dealership and bought the first one they saw.
They bought a car like I would buy a quart of milk.
There are lots of car buyers like them out there, (and you won't find them on any car enthusiast forum...lol)

Just maybe... they used their intuition instead of their analytical abilities. It could have been worse. They could have blindfolded each other, jumped in an Uber and road off to by buy the Hyundai Santa Fe, believing it was on par with the CX-9 and doing the whole thing blindfolded! Give'em some credit! (doh)

Yep, that car based grocery getter is soooooooooooooooo rugged. Wow.

The signal to noise ratio in this forum has gotten worse...

Using some Fourier analysis to smooth out the noise. I do. After a while, you just laugh at it, LOL!

The front of the Pacifica looks better than the Sorento...unfortunately the Sorento looks more like a minivan disguised as an SUV similar to rides like the Pilot

Spot on correct. You've noticed that, too. I guess they consider them the new true crossovers. A Van-like SUV, or an SUV-Like Van.

I've had a total of six passengers including two full size children sitting in the third row on two long trips thus far. Nobody has a problem fitting or falling a asleep once a long road is selected and the radar cruise control is turned on. The third row on the Mazda CX-9 is a slight cut above the third-row of the Volvo XC-90. I know because that was the benchmark I used in buying my first SUV.

Last edited:
I like chrome accents but not on cheap matte black plastic.

Then you would not like the Porsche Ceyenne at all and would probably want to stick with the Kia Sorrento, as the Sorrento has no cheap black matte plastics - huh? What did he just say! LOL!

4smdwOzzhbrzK5nEUnJwAHN8V5Riuw.png

KsXpPsuv6F1EbPCZvF4u2OBteqlo8S.png

I'll take cheap looking black matte plastics for $1000, Alex!

Of course, you'd probably hold on tight to that 27 Sorrento over the Bentley Bentayga as well given its display of Cheap Gray Plastics?

jI4ZVzR2ZojeX72zdCindVUCp0A4k3.png

Last edited:
English, learn it!

i said I don't like "chrome accents" on cheap black plastics ... and yes i dont like it when luxury cars have them too ..

Lolz @ this thread. The lady doth protest too much methinks.

Even if you are correct and this Euphoric Utopia is what some CX9 peeps have.. why go out of your way to piss all over it.

Lol, when i said Sorento is better all you could pick is the looks department. It is one of best looking if not the best looking. You can pick up an unflattering angle of any crossover (its a crossover not a SUV, LOL). In case of CX-9 is the tiny looking rearend which looks more like a CX-5.

2017-Kia-Sorento-Front-Three-Quarter.jpg

2017-Kia-sorento-SUV-white-press-image-1200x800%20%284%29.jpg

It is the overall packaging, looks, reliability and value where Sorento wins. If it was otherwise, the CX9 wouldn't have sold so poorly and rated so low in reliability. CX-9 doesn't even come with leather in all 3 rows other than the obviously missing panoramic roof, 360 camera, power folding and tilt mirrors, smart trunk, flat 2nd row floor, strut based hood opening, 3rd row air vents, comfortable 3rd row - all premium features. BTW, XC90 3rd row is definitely better than the CX-9 or the Sorento as I have spent ample amount of time in all 3.

Last edited:
Lol, when i said Sorento is better all you could pick is the looks department. It is one of best looking if not the best looking. You can pick up an unflattering angle of any crossover (its a crossover not a SUV, LOL). In case of CX-9 is the tiny looking rearend which looks more like a CX-5.

2017-Kia-Sorento-Front-Three-Quarter.jpg

2017-Kia-sorento-SUV-white-press-image-1200x800%20%284%29.jpg

It is the overall packaging, looks, reliability and value where Sorento wins. If it was otherwise, the CX9 wouldn't have sold so poorly and rated so low in reliability. CX-9 doesn't even come with leather in all 3 rows other than the obviously missing panoramic roof, 360 camera, power folding and tilt mirrors, smart trunk, flat 2nd row floor, strut based hood opening, 3rd row air vents, comfortable 3rd row - all premium features. BTW, XC90 3rd row is definitely better than the CX-9 or the Sorento as I have spent ample amount of time in all 3.

I agree with you--but I take issue with the leather in 3 rows point. This is pretty common, and that's a cost-cutting measure I can get behind. For the amount of time the 3rd row is used (and the heck with my kids if leatherette isn't good enough for them), I don't care if there is not leather back there.

But, more importantly, why do you keep engaging this guy?

(trolls)

I agree with you--but I take issue with the leather in 3 rows point. This is pretty common, and that's a cost-cutting measure I can get behind. For the amount of time the 3rd row is used (and the heck with my kids if leatherette isn't good enough for them), I don't care if there is not leather back there.

But, more importantly, why do you keep engaging this guy?

(trolls)

Yes, that’s just one of the cost cutting. Sorento gets nappa leather in all 3. I agree though perforated leather is a nuisance with kids.

Yup, not engaging any more.

English, learn it!

i said I don't like "chrome accents" on cheap black plastics ... and yes i dont like it when luxury cars have them too ..

Moot point as it implies that you would either like or be ambivalent about "chrome accents" on painted surfaces - which by all indications would look even worse when they are not real chrome to begin with. English? Are you familiar with the term Pyrrhic Victory? You just experienced one.

Note, you did not say that you did not like "chrome accents" at all. Ergo, using the 2018 Sorrento (your favorite example of a CX-9 killer), you would clearly approve of Fake Brushed Aluminium on Black Plastics seen in this beautiful example of an Pyrrhic Victory:

mJAqH7gwycKhHlSNl4k68M5hsjIXkF.png

Speaking of opening Pandora's proverbial box, I also visited Kia's website and priced a new 2018 Sorrento SX Limited.

I was met with a $47,000 price tag and wondering how that could leave me with Fake Wood Door Tim. I was also wondering how someone who could not tolerate Fake Chrome on Cheap Black Plastic, would somehow be able to stomach Fake Wood Door Trim on the interior of their vehicle. I thought to myself, this must drive such people completely insane to see each day they enter their vehicle. I then turned to the Specs, to see if I could find a reason to buy it. I then found a 3.3l DOHC 24-Value V6 and thought to myself, now this is going to make some sweet power! I was then scalded once again to find out it produces 290hp at a whopping 6,400 rpm and a paltry 253lb/ft torque at 5,300 rpm.

Lol, when i said Sorento is better all you could pick is the looks department.

Well, lets just go ahead an fix that too, shall we.

Essentially, you have to be burning fuel at a rate faster than a dinosaur can poop something into the fossil record before you experience what that smothered V6 can really do at the torque level. That's when I thought about the Engineers at Mazda and how smart they were. With an MSRP of just $45,000, Mazda Engineers found a way to pump out 310ft-lbs of torque at a lowly 2,000 rpm from a 2.5l DOHC 16-Valve In-Line 4 cylinder Turbo-Charged gas based powerplant. Chalk up some real victories for the CX-9, no doubt. Steering? Handling? Roll Control? Lateral Stability? Again, all real victories for the Mazda CX-9. English? Yes, how about "Ride Dynamics is a world apart from Kia."

It is the overall packaging, looks, reliability and value where Sorento wins.

Sure, if what you are looking for is a Minivan in disguise - or a Minivan disguised to look like an SUV.

Thus, in plain English, the CX-9 is a significantly more capable SUV than the Sorrento, or anything else in its price range for that matter. Moreover, the CX-9 does not look like Minivan in disguise - or a Minivan disguised to look like an SUV.

If it was otherwise, the CX9 wouldn't have sold so poorly and rated so low in reliability.

I'm starting to actually believe the prefix of your UID, "Crazy." The new CX-9 has not been on the market as long as the Kia Sorrento. There is no "poor reliability" rating that makes any sense because the entity reporting that nonsense admitted that it did not have sufficient data to makes its "conclusions" final. The real world reports are just now beginning to come in which is expected from a vehicle that is less than 3 chronological years young. As an actual owner of both the 2017 Signature and the 2018 Signature, my "report" is that the vehicle performance has been nothing short of outstanding.

Kia Reliability? Read it and carefully think again: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/hyundai-kia-recall-engine-failures

1.5 million vehicles recalled for Engine problems? That's no small matter on the issue of reliability.

Last edited:
Don't give in to the "troll"...he doesn't even own a CX9 but always on this forum posting...sure owns a Mazda but a sedan and not the CX9...anyway go search Kia forums and you'll find A LOT of issues with the Sorento as well...no brand is exempt from zero or no reliability issues. The only good thing going for the Kia/Hyundai brands is the value for money (tons of features for the money) and the longer warranty than other manufacturers but even their warranty has a lot of disclaimers meaning they won't simply cover anything that breaks as they have a list of items not covered

...CX-9 doesn't even come with leather in all 3 rows...

Its called Napa Leather Seating and it exists in all three rows of the Signature trim that I have:

Aao4MVewXqDkkJCvoaqz9M9ce9q47D.png

...other than the obviously missing panoramic roof,

I don't actually miss it anymore after owning the Sunroof. On a nice day, it provides a great driving experience, plenty of air and I don't have to worry about my top exploding spontaneously, either.

...360 camera,

A 360 Cam is a nice to have. It is not mandatory. I'm note driving something as large as a Nagivator, nor am I taxing a Boeing 757-300 around parking lots.

...power folding and tilt mirrors, smart trunk, flat 2nd row floor, strut based hood opening, 3rd row air vents, comfortable 3rd row - all premium features.

When was the last time I wished I had power folding tilt mirrors.... never. If I'm that tight in a parking space, then I don't belong there in the first place. Smart trunk? My Lift Gate opens and closes automatically when I want it to. Flat 2nd row? How about flat enough to get the job done. I'm not a Home Depot regular and while I tend to shop Lowe's, I've never been in a situation where I could not bring home the needed supplies when I had to. If I need anything bigger, I'll get a Tundra, because I don't trust Ford's Ecoboost! 3rd row airvents? My third row got used a lot late last year and nobody complained about not receiving either enough air, warmed or cooled - and they all slept like babies in the third row to boot.

The CX-9 is premium where it needs to be premium. It checks all the boxes that are necessary while remaining true to On-Road Dynamic Performance, unifying the driver with both the vehicle and the road. Its called Human-Centric Design Philosophy, or the Jinba Ittai design philosophy and you can actually feel it in the CX-9. Feeling connected to both vehicle and road matters.

BTW, XC90 3rd row is definitely better than the CX-9 or the Sorento as I have spent ample amount of time in all 3.

How could it. The Volvo XC-90 (which I was about to buy) does not have more headroom in the third row than the CX-9, and its floor is higher relative to the seat bottom - meaning, you sit with your knees significantly higher in the XC-90. I spent a lot of time in the XC-90 Inscription, not so I could make a claim on the internet - but so I could justify spending $30 to $40 thousand dollars (USD) more than the Mazda CX-9 Signature.

Last edited:
Don't give in to the "troll"...he doesn't even own a CX9 but always on this forum posting...sure owns a Mazda but a sedan and not the CX9...anyway go search Kia forums and you'll find A LOT of issues with the Sorento as well...no brand is exempt from zero or no reliability issues. The only good thing going for the Kia/Hyundai brands is the value for money (tons of features for the money) and the longer warranty than other manufacturers but even their warranty has a lot of disclaimers meaning they won't simply cover anything that breaks as they have a list of items not covered

Every warranty is like that. Go check. Here mazda won’t even acknowledge my warped rotors when there is clearly a recall for rear caliper dragging.

You are confused who the troll is. This cracks me every time which you guys use it as a weak defence. Why do I have to own the cx9 to critique it? How about driving as well as spending ample time in one over past 2-3 years.

Back