Look what Ive got.....

Umm... they are from the UK and their features are slightly different to Oz land :D

(rlaugh) Oh man I mix all of you up! I'm sure I confuse people as well with living in Germany but have a US spec'd CX-5. If I cared enough to spend the money, I'd take mine to a German dealer and see about retrofitting some features.

(rlaugh) Oh man I mix all of you up! I'm sure I confuse people as well with living in Germany but have a US spec'd CX-5. If I cared enough to spend the money, I'd take mine to a German dealer and see about retrofitting some features.
All good :)

Couple of little things I wish I had on mine at home - the drive away locking and that little pip on the horn when it’s double locked would save a bit of shoe wear in the car park at work. One big thing I’m impressed with so far is the radar cruise control. I had it in a RAV4 while my red one was in for repair but it was nowhere near as good as this in terms of making me trust it. One thing I miss is the auto folding mirrors which shout locked when I walk away. Got to be careful with this one.

Couple of little things I wish I had on mine at home - the drive away locking and that little pip on the horn when it’s double locked would save a bit of shoe wear in the car park at work. One big thing I’m impressed with so far is the radar cruise control. I had it in a RAV4 while my red one was in for repair but it was nowhere near as good as this in terms of making me trust it. One thing I miss is the auto folding mirrors which shout locked when I walk away. Got to be careful with this one.
You don't get Mazda Radar cruise control there (uhm)

You don't get Mazda Radar cruise control there (uhm)

You can but it’s an 800 ($1000 US) option and the strange restriction Mazda UK has put on it is - not with stone leather interior so that’s me out. Import restrictions I guess.

I'd point all of this out at the drop-off. Although this will not mean or change anything. I'm sure even the owner of the outlet wouldn't care less, nevermind the guys at the counter. The car will be out of circulation in less then a year.
Very few people, mostly European folks like you and me would dare to pop up the good to check fluid levels. It's rental, right? What you did with dumping expensive synthetic oil into rental is extraordinary and is bordering a felony...

are rentals really that bad? every car I rent I try to take care of it, mostly in fear of having to pay out damages in case something happens like a spill or scratches/dents. and wouldn't the rental company want to make sure the car isn't going to break down for their customers so wouldn't they make sure maintenance is up to date? i'm genuinely curious. my first cx5 I bought as a "rental" but I didn't own it for more than a year before I sold it for an upgraded GT model, but I never had any issues with it.

are rentals really that bad? every car I rent I try to take care of it, mostly in fear of having to pay out damages in case something happens like a spill or scratches/dents. and wouldn't the rental company want to make sure the car isn't going to break down for their customers so wouldn't they make sure maintenance is up to date? i'm genuinely curious. my first cx5 I bought as a "rental" but I didn't own it for more than a year before I sold it for an upgraded GT model, but I never had any issues with it.

Rentals are not as bad as people make it out. Those who travel for business are representing their company and would rather not ruin the name. They drive safely and respect the car. They may not look out for liquids etc. but they dont abuse.
Problem with rentals is wear items like brakes / tires - if you buy a rental I would upgrade the brakes etc and maybe the tires too. I would not hesitate to buy a rental - most rentals are picked up by dealers and some are CPO'd too. I would not get a Mustang from a rental fleet as you know its been abused. A Toyota / Mazda - not too much of a worry as long as its under 20k miles.

Exactly. A lot of people buy used cars from the rental fleets thinking they have been properly maintained. Frankly, the drivers renting these cars dont care. Its not theirs and they drive and trash them badly.

This is true. I know someone who rented a truck once, next thing you know they are taking it on some dirt trails, flooring it, doing jumps off of hills, etc.

But for even just the regular cars, people don't treat them well, and the rental car companies likewise tend to be lazy with them too. I've gotten into rental cars that 2 minutes after leaving the lot, they are beeping all kinds of warnings at me. You're telling me these guys didn't see that? Blech.

Then there is the occasional car that still has trash in it, etc. Anchorman, that the oil was that low, and the oil spilled all over under the hood is just shameful on their part.

Bingo.

I know some people that everytime they get a rental, they floor it every possible chance they get

Eh...I floor my CX-5 every chance I get. It can handle it. But it's also properly maintained ;)

The problem is full coverage. When people get it, they could plausibly film an episode of “Jack@ss” with it and return it as is

The problem is full coverage. When people get it, they could plausibly film an episode of “Jack@ss” with it and return it as is

Cokl5n7UkAIyW8F.jpg

Look what Ive got.....

⋯ I would not hesitate to buy a rental - most rentals are picked up by dealers and some are CPO'd too.
Can you imagine how upset this person will be who has bought this 2018 CX-5 rental a year later and is facing this possible oil-consumption issue? ;)

Can you imagine how upset this person will be who has bought this 2018 CX-5 rental a year later and is facing this possible oil-consumption issue? ;)

I can only assume that we will certainly hear about it here in a “lemon” thread. [emoji23]

I can only assume that we will certainly hear about it here in a “lemon” thread. [emoji23]

"Hey guys I'm new to the forum, here's a pic of my new (used) CX-5"!!

One glance at the front bumper scrape ID's this CX-5.

Anchorman, the UK 2018 cx 5 sport nav petrol I have has the walk away lock, it's in the settings menu, I turned it off too quick to lock for me happy with pushing the button on the door. Agree about the door mirrors it's what I always look out for, like red flashing alarm lights on bmws etc

Most of us probably take decent care of rental cars. Some of that may be fear of being charged for damage, or whatever.

But some companies are amazingly forgiving. My wife put a HUGE scratch in a fender once. She was SURE they were gonna ding her for it.

They didn't even bat an eye.

Back