Long-term effects of MS6 smoke?

So i've read tons on the stock ms6 turbo and its seemingly faulty seals, but for all i've read i dont see anything stating any long-term consequence. If you keep the oil replaced with 5w30 frequently do i really need to get the warrenty work done? (im at 49,500 miles but have a 98k extended...)

So i've read tons on the stock ms6 turbo and its seemingly faulty seals, but for all i've read i dont see anything stating any long-term consequence. If you keep the oil replaced with 5w30 frequently do i really need to get the warrenty work done? (im at 49,500 miles but have a 98k extended...)

Unless you are heavily modified, there really is overwhelming incentive to get this warranty work done. There is no reason to avoid it, really.

As for the long-term effects, you will see the smoking get worse over time and eventually you will start to lose noticeable amounts of oil between oil changes.

Okay, thank you much... I'm def payin off some bills before major mods, just got straight pipes put on from the axle-back. Gonna have a SRI/TIP by X-mas but other than that im clean. I'll make an appointment after i take some vids.

Unfortunately, simply replacing the turbo isn't going to "fix" the problem unless you have a really bad turbo that is smoking constantly or making noises. The turbo seals are fine wi the correct amount of pressure differential on the inlet (lower pressure) and outlet (higher pressure) sides of the turbo. Opening up the exhaust system drops the differential into an even pressure which allows oil pressure to lift the seal enough to let some oil by, especially at idle inlet pressure, vs oil pressure/outlet pressure.

I have a `07 with the latest turbo # and I still get (got) occasional idle smoke, but not since adding the PtP restrictor to the cam cover-to-intake PCV hose.

Note that Mazda should have their "revised" PCV setup out by end of year(?) so I would wait until it is available and then take it in for warranty work. Otherwise, your car will be down for an unneeded turbo change and then again when the PCV revision comes out because it will be smoking again... YMMV

Oh, forgot to reply about the long-term effects. The oil will foul the O2 sensors and the cat eventually. The time depends on the amount of oil/smoking...

Last edited:
Where can I get the "revised" PCV information?

I've had the car repaired for HEAVY smoking and the dealer told me it was the PCV and they replaced it. Unfortunately a couple weeks later I noticed the car was smoking.

The problem it doesn't always smoke, it smokes off and on, and the last time I went to the dealer 2 weeks ago, it didn't smoke when I had dropped it off. But started again the next day, so I'm thinking it's either the damn PCV again or it's the turbo this time..... :(

I'm going to do a turbo upgrade as soon as the warranty is up, but I'd still like to have a GOOD turbo that's a spare, and not a faulty one.

OH ok, I was wondering where the information came from. That's real nice that they're redesigning it, buncha fags. I can at least hope that they do it as a recall, so I can get it done to my care after my warranty expires in 2k miles.

OH ok, I was wondering where the information came from. That's real nice that they're redesigning it, buncha fags. I can at least hope that they do it as a recall, so I can get it done to my care after my warranty expires in 2k miles.

i doubt it will be a recall, as that would be very costly and could put mazda under. it will probably be a tsb which will require no installed mods and oil change history

i doubt it will be a recall, as that would be very costly and could put mazda under. it will probably be a tsb which will require no installed mods and oil change history

Which is only done under warranty. Recalls should be performed if your freaking car is gonna **** up and they intentionally know it. (protest)

Ah well, at the very least I know 2 or 3 people that can get parts from Mazda so maybe I could get it cheaper. Why bother to do it NOW when the 06 speed6s (the ones with most the problems) are the ones that would be mostly in need of it.

wow nice reply... And damn o2s and cats are frickin expensive and im guessing would never be covered by warrenty being such obviouse wear/tear parts.. Im gonna switch to AMSOIL 5w40 or maybe 10w40? And see if it helps. Might start a new thread on the 10w40, i was talkin to a friend about it and he said as well as thickening viscosity, might as well try the weight too?

5W-40 would be better on startup and it has a better base stock.

i told u ud come around to liking the 5w-40 idea for our cars hahaha..

ive said this before in a couple threads...

my car doesnt smoke..running the K04, DP, exhaust mani, Full Exhaust... also got the PTP fix and 5w-40 oil.. smoke free since i bought the car in 06..

not going back to the dealer for warrenty work either, theres things that u can do to fix the problem before going through that hassle.

He's still running the stock Krap04 on his car.

And yes, stay with 5w-40, not 10w.

haha yup stock original, supposedly bad turbo (lol2) at that... 10w FTL..

there will be a change in turbo next year..im just not sure which route i wanna go yet.. really want Brain's at BNR'S setup.. :)

i told u ud come around to liking the 5w-40 idea for our cars hahaha..

ive said this before in a couple threads...

my car doesnt smoke..running the K04, DP, exhaust mani, Full Exhaust... also got the PTP fix and 5w-40 oil.. smoke free since i bought the car in 06..

not going back to the dealer for warrenty work either, theres things that u can do to fix the problem before going through that hassle.

What is the PTP fix?

Back