locked at 160 km !!

Qatari CX9,
Did you install the speed limit defencer? And do you have the ecu schematic diagram?

Well, another car limited at 120mph. Still, beyond top speed what counts more is the time u need to pass other cars on the highway (like 50-80mph ) and having fast take offs.

100$GUY,
It's all about good acceleration on overtaking and passing other cars. What I like about CX-9 is the take off at start, don't have to press hard on the accelerator and handling.

Hi Qatari

I bought my CX-9 three days ago from Dammam KSA agent of MAZDA, during the test drive I experienced that all CX-9 in KSA are programmed/locked @ 160km/h. After searching the reason I came to knew that all new vehicle from 2008 either will be limited to 160km/h or 170km/h (for USA brands). This ordered issued by the ministry & car slandered organization in KSA............ENJOY DRIVEN IT GUYS................

obaidnsk,
I've bought mine in DAMMAM too, last year in November. After completing 1000km mileage, I slam the pedal down to see how fast it goes. Yup, it's quite fast for a SUV, BUT, hate the continous speed alarm after 120km/h & 160km/h limit. I went back home to Brunei and ask HKS SLD price, it was definitely cheap. Almost bought it but the seller asked me if I was sure the speed limit is control by ECU or a separate gadget. His adviced was to check this first before buying HKS SLD. I've asked the mechanic at Mazda Khobar but never got a reply. So, what can we do....

I live in Kuwait I have the same problem as you guys... I'm going to buy the SLD soon and I will test it on my car, and about the HKS dealer question... after all research I've done I believe that it's controlled by the ECU I'm almost certain,

hang on guys soon we will know

what are they trying to do to you guys in soudi arabia? Speed alarm at 120km/h?? that would drive me crazy! Maybe they dont want you guys to spin drift them :p

Hello techspeak,
Being an expatriate living in Saudi Arabia can be interesting and enjoyable, BUT, locking at 160 km/h and speed alarm at 120 km/h do get on my nerve everyday. Everyday i have to travel 200km to and from work, and usually I drive 130 - 140km/h. So, travelling at this speed force me to listen the high pitch alarm. All I need is somebody to tell me how to get rid the alarm.

maybe later on you guys can buy a USA ECU from ebay or something, or maybe install the USA or Europe firmware into the ecu

How is that possible to install USA Or Europe Firmware? I'm trying to do that ... Does anyone have info to share with us ?

The fines for speeding obviously aren't as high for you as they are here in Australia. The likelihood of being caught is also quite high.

Our highest speed limit here is 110km/h on divided freeways. Driving at 160km/h (>45km/h over the limit) attacts a very high fine and immediate licence suspension. The suspension would most likely be 3-6 months although it can be longer if you have done it before.

Even exceeding the limit by smaller amounts attracts quite large fines and if you do it 2-3 times within a 3 year period you will lose your licence for 3 months.

The CX-9 is so easy to drive fast I wish mine DID have an overspeed indicator like my last car did.

An interesting aside .... just yesterday our State Govt announced trials of GPS enforced speed limits for cars. They are trialing a system where an onboard GPS knows the speed limit for the road you are on and warns you if you go over it. The system is also capable of slowing the vehicle down to the speed limit if that function is enabled. It is likely to be years before we see anything like that as standard but I actually think it is a good idea. Everybody travelling at a uniform speed would allow for much traffic better flow.

Last edited:
Everybody travelling at a uniform speed would allow for much traffic flow.

But there are always people that will go slower, and you will get into the same issues as if the speeds were not GPS controlled (i.e. more accidents are caused by people trying to get around slower drivers). But yes, speed differentials is what causes a lot of problems...

I would like to live the Australian life style where people respect speed limits.. BUT I much be more realistic living in Kuwait and all over the middle east, its very diffecult to follow the speed limits. like jabba said "more accidents are caused by people trying to get around slower drivers" anf they are a lot in Kuwait.. in I'm going 120km/h i will be annoyed by people geting around me, thinking i'm driving slow...

And for one thing Kuwait has long highways... I need to speed over 120km/h which is legal but not going over 140km/h

back to my question how can I get a US or a European ECU ?

The fines for speeding obviously aren't as high for you as they are here in Australia. The likelihood of being caught is also quite high.

Our highest speed limit here is 110km/h on divided freeways. Driving at 160km/h (>45km/h over the limit) attacts a very high fine and immediate licence suspension. The suspension would most likely be 3-6 months although it can be longer if you have done it before.

Even exceeding the limit by smaller amounts attracts quite large fines and if you do it 2-3 times within a 3 year period you will lose your licence for 3 months.

The CX-9 is so easy to drive fast I wish mine DID have an overspeed indicator like my last car did.

An interesting aside .... just yesterday our State Govt announced trials of GPS enforced speed limits for cars. They are trialing a system where an onboard GPS knows the speed limit for the road you are on and warns you if you go over it. The system is also capable of slowing the vehicle down to the speed limit if that function is enabled. It is likely to be years before we see anything like that as standard but I actually think it is a good idea. Everybody travelling at a uniform speed would allow for much traffic better flow.

You might want to look into a GPS unit that you can carry with you from car to car. I know my current TomTom One 3rd edition has a alarm that I can set that will go over if I go over a certain preset speed.

Hi Guys....
I am in Riyadh KSA.
I also have the same problem i.e. continuous beeping at 120Km. Today I went for my first service at Mazda and asked to remove it. They galdly told me that this can be done for SR 280. :)

And about 160Km/h limit. They told that nothing can be done for this as this comes from Japan....

Did you guys managed to get rid of these????

Regards,

Back