Little snag with my egr

Footy1986

Hey guys new to the forum. how yall doing today. i have 2 questions. my check engine light keeps coming on and i know it has to do with the egr. code P0404. now heres my questions, one can you clean out the egr or do you have to replace it and two i have a tube with a red interrupted line on it. but it looks like its cut. i see a vacuum like nozzle for a line to go to. is it supposed to be like that or should i replace that. im tired of seeing the check engine light on all the time. ill have pictures of the car when i get a good camera.

got a few pictures of the hose.

Attachments

• line shot.jpg
    line shot.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 190
  • brokenlineshot.jpg
    brokenlineshot.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 196
I think I see what you're referring to regarding the cut, but I can't be sure. With both hands, thumbs at the cut, try to open the cut by pulling and pressing on the hose simultaneously, albeit gently. If the hose is cut, you should see it spread with little force. If not, it may turn out to be nothing more than a seam.

sorry bad pic editing to make it smaller. here is the better shot.

Attachments

• brokenlineshot.jpg
    brokenlineshot.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 189
I see your problem now. The red hose is supposed to connect to a solenoid near the other end of the blue hose.

Furthermore, the red and blue lines are reversed at the EGR itself as the blue is supposed to go to the manifold. The red line, open as it is, and connected to the manifold is definately a large vacuum leak.

unhook the battery, put your foot on the brake pedal for a few seconds, hook the battery back up. It'll clear the CEL and, hopefully, it shouldn't come back on now that the EGR *should* be working properly.

everything reset ran it for awhile and so far no check engine light WOOT. now i need to fix my valve seal problem then ill be golden till i get a new job. not only for that i want a hard top because the top that came with the car had no back pretty much and the on i have on now i bought for 50 bucks has 2 holes and leaks over the passenger side. just a little. thank you for helping me fix this problem.

Last edited:
That's good news.

What's wrong with your valve seal?

i stand correct. the check engine light came back on so blah (hand) but the valve seal leaks oil when i first start it up so i get blue smoke when i start it but when it warms up its good to go.i just hate putting oil into it all the time.

Back