Limited Slip Differential (Stock Tires) Rain

yac2727

:
2004 Mazda 3s Black Mica
I live in Miami, it's been raining for two days straight. The wheels that come stock w/ Mazda 3 even though they are Goodyear are CRAPPY. Man, my three is slipping and sliding all over the place, the tires can't get any traction.
I wonder why they didn't add a LSD to this car. The power and the weight warrant it. I have to agree with previous threads, it's going to be damn near impossible to boost this car over 200hp and not have serious problems with the handling. As it is, it acts very jerky and sporadic in the rain. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE MY 3, but this is something they should have looked into. What do you guys think. Will there be any way in the future to address this? (encourage

I agree... although I haven't had much trouble in the rain these past few days, but then again I've been taking it easy with the wet roads...

Hehe, I think we have had 2 days of sun in the past week. I think it is more how you drive in the rain than the tires... then again, perhaps not. Up here our Mazda 3 comes with Toyo tires and they seem to handle it fine.

-X-

-XtenZ- said:
Hehe, I think we have had 2 days of sun in the past week. I think it is more how you drive in the rain than the tires... then again, perhaps not. Up here our Mazda 3 comes with Toyo tires and they seem to handle it fine.

-X-
You seriours!! YOU guys get TOYO tires up there?! Where, Canada? We always get SCREWED (butthump) in the STATES!!!!!!! I still want to know how people think the Mazda 3 will be able to handle power up and over 200hp without a LSD? I mean I'm not going around racing, and I'm having trouble keeping the rubber from slipping. That's not a good sign.

True, it would have been nice had the Mazda3 been equipped with LSD but I believe I got what I had paid for and am more than happy. BTW, yes, I'm from Canada and , no, you aren't always the one to get screwed as we are not offered Xenon/TPMS nor the Nav system both of which I would had loved to have. On a lighter note, you could maybe weld specific diff parts to accomplish your LSD..:)

-X-

actually... my friend's 5dr came with Toyos, I have no idea how he got them... all the other cars in the lot had Goodyears

Oh, NO don't get me wrong. I'm more than happy with my 3. I got mine for 15,900 with everything I wanted. My insurance payments went down considerably once with this car too. I guess it's my one gripe, I mean how much more could it have cost them to put the LSD in there? I would have been willing to pay an extra couple hundred bucks for it!! BTW I wish I had gotten the TOYO tires instead of the goodyears (nuts)

yac2727 said:
I live in Miami, it's been raining for two days straight. The wheels that come stock w/ Mazda 3 even though they are Goodyear are CRAPPY. Man, my three is slipping and sliding all over the place, the tires can't get any traction.
I wonder why they didn't add a LSD to this car. The power and the weight warrant it. I have to agree with previous threads, it's going to be damn near impossible to boost this car over 200hp and not have serious problems with the handling. As it is, it acts very jerky and sporadic in the rain. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE MY 3, but this is something they should have looked into. What do you guys think. Will there be any way in the future to address this? (encourage

The goodyear Eagle RSA's are big time crap. I have had them on 3 different newly purchased car, and they are always big time death traps in the rain.

I had them on my camaro with 330rwhp with no traction control and everytime it raining I had to be uber cautious.

The best thing I can suggest is to ditch the tires and buy 4 news ones.

I love to get a LSD for my Mazda 3, the following is the reply from Phantom Grip for installation of one. For $299, who would like to be the first guineapig to try it out?

We have not made fitment on these models but we can do so if we have the
differentials in house for fitment and development.If this is of interest to
you, please let us know when you are ready to proceed and send differentials
so we may be aware.
The cost is $299-$349 + shipping, depending on part #.We look forward to you
reply.
Thank you for your interest.

GET A GRIP!...Phantom Grip

I agree with yac2727. I'm in Central Florida and it has rained here alot as well. I too received the Goodyear stock tires. But I am also on a tires for life program as well. The way I see it I better burn out these tires and see about changing brands. For the most part when it starts to slip out on me, I find it easier personally just to down shift the car, ease up a little on the pedal then try again. But until I can get the tires changed you never know what can happen. Besides people in Florida DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE. Talk about having to watch your back!!!

A limited slip diff is a certainty for my car at some point. Its the one big thing it doesn't have.

Maria said:
I agree with yac2727. I'm in Central Florida and it has rained here alot as well. I too received the Goodyear stock tires. But I am also on a tires for life program as well. The way I see it I better burn out these tires and see about changing brands. For the most part when it starts to slip out on me, I find it easier personally just to down shift the car, ease up a little on the pedal then try again. But until I can get the tires changed you never know what can happen. Besides people in Florida DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE. Talk about having to watch your back!!!
Did you buy your car from Classic Mazda on Orange Blossom trail? Even though I live down in Miami, I bought my car up there cause I hate the dealers in Miami, they always try to rip you off. Word of advice, if you are going to install anything in your car up there go to Audionutz in Ocala. It's about 1 hour drive from Orlando, but they are the best. The owner (and head installer) is Steve, and he just happens to be the IASCA world championn in the 301-600 watt expert class in IASCA. They installed the system in my Mazda 3 and I'm VERY HAPPY. Here's their website
www.teamaudionutz.com

Maria said:

Whoa! You're from Orlando too?

Bought my 3 at Classic Mazda East. (boom07)

Nathan G said:
Whoa! You're from Orlando too?

Bought my 3 at Classic Mazda East. (boom07)
My parents live in Orlando, so I bought my car 6 weeks ago when I was visiting them from Miami. Good service, and I great price. I was pretty happy with them.

I bought my car from Classic on Semoran. I went in this weekend and they gave me Toyo's. :p I was excited. Thanks for the advice. I will definatley go there and check it out.

yac2727 said:
Did you buy your car from Classic Mazda on Orange Blossom trail? Even though I live down in Miami, I bought my car up there cause I hate the dealers in Miami, they always try to rip you off. Word of advice, if you are going to install anything in your car up there go to Audionutz in Ocala. It's about 1 hour drive from Orlando, but they are the best. The owner (and head installer) is Steve, and he just happens to be the IASCA world championn in the 301-600 watt expert class in IASCA. They installed the system in my Mazda 3 and I'm VERY HAPPY. Here's their website
www.teamaudionutz.com

The Mazda 3 in HK comes up with the "Yokohama AVID Touring" tires. Athough it is not an expensive tires in the market but the performance and the ratings are quite high........Do you think it is better than the stock tires (Goodyear, Toyo) from US and Canada? What're your model series from Goodyear and Toyo?

Also, may I know whether the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) and TCS (Traction Control System) are the standard in the US and Canada?

From safety standpoint, if I ask you to choose one, do you guys recommend to have DSC+TCS or LSD system?....interesting question?

N. American 3 comes with neither DSC or TCS.

Although I imagine if you were on LSD, then it would be a moot point.

Yoko Avid Touring tires are great for fuel milage and long wear but are a little short on traction. Other than that, they're great tires.

Back