Lifter Noise

desimazda

:
2012 CX-9 Touring AWD with Bose Moon roof pkg Dolphin Grey Mica
Guys my 2010 CX-9 sport now has about 8000 miles on it......but this lifter noise is so darn bothering my mind.

It stays on for a minute or so after the first cold start up, right after the engine RPM starts coming down......its all smooth after that, but i just cant digest a brand new car making lifter noise.
( almost sounds like a diesel engine at that time )

Any solution to this problem is highly appreciated.

( I did go through the previous discussion on this topic but there was no solution offered )

This has been discussed many, many, many, many, maaaaaany times. The fact is that this is normal behavior for the 3.7 liter V6. Nothing is wrong with the car, just a design trait. I've had it checked on my Mz6 sGT and the same behavior exists on my CX-9. I almost never hear it anymore and believe me I'm OCD when it comes to noises. For me as long as it goes away I'm OK with it.

No solution is known except for just waiting to let the engine warm up.

Sorry, I know it's annoying but one of the compromises of buying a mid-level mass produced car. Ultimately it was probably a design compromise that was deemed too small to throw development dollars at since it did not adversely affect durability or reliability- at least that's my guess.

Yeah the "Cyclone Duratec 37" 3.7 is a motor co-developed by Ford and Mazda. Mazda modified it a little to meet their requirements but it is largely a Ford motor. Actually a newer version of the motor is in the new Mustang and it makes 305 hp and gets better fuel economy. It would be nice if Mazda adopted the newer version. Arguably the only real "weakness" of the 3.7 in the Mazda is mediocre fuel efficiency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cyclone_engine

Last edited:
My parents bought a 89 MPV when it first came out, brand new. It did the exact same thing with the cold start. You hear a little ticking before it warms up. They then bought a 95, it did the same thing as well. My 08 CX9 does it, and then after a minute or 2, its like a knife slicing through butter, smooth. That ticking noise is just personality of Mazda.

The noise at startup is embarrassing considering that this is Mazda's most expensive vehicle. Never had a noise problem with my Toyota Sienna.

Embarassing? Really?
Tell me how cold start noise that goes away after warming up is embarassing? Every design has it's compromises but even without knowing why the engine exhibits this cold start tick, its still a minor annoyance at best. Furthermore it has no affect on drivability or reliability. Have you even heard the noise people are referring to?

Also, if I were a betting man, I'd say that if you put premium gas in there, that would go away completely on a cold start. But its perfectly normal, and not embarrasing. And like Antonio says, most engines do not operate smooth as butter during startup in cold weather. Its how the internal combustion works...does not work great very cold or very hot. Works well when it is at normal operating temp.

Back