Lewis7789 2002 Protege5 build thread (tons of pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
looks clean bro..i love it ..cant wait to lower mines and do a few things to make her look clean and simple but nice.

Yeah- I'm a moron. I should've just jacked up the car and looked under there. Heh-heh. But I just put the midpipe on yesterday. I dig it. It is louder and a bit more "raspy" but mostly just on the interior. I asked my friend to drive it up and down the street while I listened and I think it sounds good. My GReddy cat back was pretty low and deep anyway and it just made it a bit louder, but not nearly as obnoxious as I was fearing. I'll try to get some video up this weekend.

I guess I can give you a (thumb) on your ride, after all I did help with some of the installs. Just watch out for (five-0) with that loud exhaust!

I don't think it sounds bad at all outside of the car. I don't really think another resonator is necessary but there is room to put one in the catless midpipe. I don't want to hack up my GReddy catback. I just wish I had a MIG welder...

I think you'll be fine broham... if you get pulled over for anything chances are it won't be because you're whip is a screamin' demon. There are plenty of cars at Matt's shop worse than our own cars. I do think it's awesome you've done all your own mods (minus the tint) unlike me.

Meh- there's not much you can do when you live in apartment, Jay. And I'm sure you and your brother will be working on the ole' Spark5 a lot at his house in TN. But working on cars is fun because they're like big Lego sets. I think I enjoy putting new parts on and modding my P5 more than the actual "performance" or aesthetic gains.

Well hells yeah, by the time I get back to Ohio... I plan to have full suspension work, those JWT cams and a tune. I should be able to get 180 @ the wheels with the cams and a tune.

Well, it was a busy weekend...

-I removed the VTCS in the intake manifold. It wasn't toooooo bad removing and re-installing the intake mani. Removing the butterflys, porting/polishing the intake runners and painting the mani black was easy. The re-installing was a little rough. Just not much room to work with under the hood. Good thing I labeled everything well and only forgot one vacuum hose. heh-heh. The ilde is a little lopey right now but hopefully it will smooth out with the new A/F map in the next couple of days. But it was well worth it for the increase in power/torque. Butt dyno really notices an increase. And the manifold looks good painted black, can't wait to paint the valve cover black too once it warms up outside...

-Installed the JDP knock-off front lip. Just some minor trimming and tweaking and it bolted up. I think it looks pretty damn good too.

-Installed an eBay front license plate bracket. Took 5 minutes with some glue. I wish all installs were this easy... haha

I'll get some better pics when the sun comes out. It's been raining for the last 3 days.
0314101758.jpg

Looks great, must have had someone there to help you right? Maybe to talk your ears off so you wouldn't get bored?

Thanks for the link, Roy. But yeah, same lip, after some customizing. Ill write up the "How To" tomorrow with pics and all that jazz.

My idle still hasn't evened out. I'm a little worried now. I've triple checked all my vacuum lines and they are all attached to the right holes. It just sounds really lumpy at idle and hesitates every once in a while when I'm just driving normally down the road. I jumps around from 1k rpm to 600rpm then sometimes even dips down to 300rpm and it almost stalls but the rpms pop back up. Any ideas?

Man, I feel like a total ass for just now finding this thread. LOL.

Oh...and if I haven't been pulled over in the MSM or the Civic for the exhaust, you should be fine. Hell, I drove the Civic open header for 2 weeks...

Ahhhh, well I think I fixed my rough idle after the VTCS removal. I cranked the s*** out of the intake manifold, throttle body and EGR valve bolts. It runs MUCH smoother now. I sprayed carb cleaner all around the vacuum lines and didn't notice anything. I also tightened all the air intake hose clamps and replaced the PCV and cleaned the EGR really well. I reset the ECU and let it idle a while then took it around the block twice and its seems much better, even with the A/C on full blast.

I finally got some pics of the finished JDP knock off front lip. I'll write up the How-To this weekend when I get the pics of my room mates camera. Let me know what you guys honestly think!
0317101717.jpg

0104101720a.jpg

0317101718a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back