Lewis7789 2002 Protege5 build thread (tons of pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
does DIY Auto tune make a DIYBOB for your ECU plug? I know some probes and mx6's are covered.. and if its not, desolder the connector from your milly ECU (or a bad one just in case you need your's) and make your own quick connecter

are the obd2 milly plugs the same as the obd1 probe? research Oi!

Last edited:
does DIY Auto tune make a DIYBOB for your ECU plug? I know some probes and mx6's are covered.. and if its not, desolder the connector from your milly ECU (or a bad one just in case you need your's) and make your own quick connecter

are the obd2 milly plugs the same as the obd1 probe? research Oi!

The plugs are different. The OBD1 KL's have 3 plugs into the ECU and the OBD2 have 4.

In other news, there is a Bulk Buy for Colt Cams on PT.com if anyone is interested. I have more research to be had but am digging the race cams.

$360-$390
Thread link to Bulk Buy.

Colt Cams "race grind". Just the idle sound makes me giggle;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWbQNK82Qvo

Last edited:
Lewis - quick pic request if you have one:

driver side/trans upper mount. pics of how it went together and what parts were necessary. I thought i saw on here somewhere how you did it, but i cannot find it while at work......trying to use ninja stealth to gather intel while "pretending" to work.....lol.

I'm pretty sure I just used the Protege mount from the tranny onto the KL tranny. You'll use all your Protege mounts for the KL and tranny. I'm not sure I have a pic since it's just the AWR side motor mount. You probably want the mount that's bolted to the tranny, not the one bolted to the side of the frame rail, right?

There's a pic of it in here but I don't know how to post it...
http://www.floptical.net/mazda/

so the stock trans mount worked and the stock bracket that bolts to the trans worked? Good! I'll pull those also.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't recall using any of the brackets from the KL or KL tranny. So yep, I'd pull both brackets and you'll be golden. Hope all goes well! That 12mm bolt holding the shift linkage to the tranny is a b****. But you don't have rust in TX so you'll be golden. :)

The plugs are different. The OBD1 KL's have 3 plugs into the ECU and the OBD2 have 4.

In other news, there is a Bulk Buy for Colt Cams on PT.com if anyone is interested. I have more research to be had but am digging the race cams.

$360-$390
Thread link to Bulk Buy.

Colt Cams "race grind". Just the idle sound makes me giggle;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWbQNK82Qvo

Haha..that is my friend Brian's old car..it has since been sold. That car made great power though. A ZE, bolt-ons, and the race cams it made 19xwhp and that was with a few issues that never did get worked out before the car was sold..(mind you this is on a very heavily loaded dynojet which has proven to read ~5% lower than a std. dynojet.

I will warn you that Jarod (Jarods7920) and I are probably going to change plans a bit and go with a custom harness for the car..but it is going to be a huge pain because of all of the circuitry in that damn under hood fuse/relay box. I think we will end up with one big mil-spec connector on the firewall that we plug the engine harness into...that is the plan for now as we feel that moving the existing fuse box will be an enormous chore...that said I cannot rule out that maybe we move the box into the fender/bumper and seal it up and rid the car of all unnecessary wiring/extend some wiring. We just have to see what we decide once we have a spare '95 harness to tear into..

Well, JK. Tell Brian his PGT gives me a chubby every time I watch that video. Haha!

And that sounds like a really fun project with the wiring... (sarcasm) But if anyone can handle it I'm sure you guys can. Which car is this for, your PGT? Why are you redoing everything anyway? Or maybe I missed something...

bolts seem to give easily down here - especially after a liberal amount of "liquid wrench" is applied.....that stuff works wonders!

Yeah, everytime I'm wrenching I always curse you Texas and Cali guys and your rust free bolts. haha. I have so many cans of PB Blaster in the garage I should just start buying my the truck load...

Yeah, everytime I'm wrenching I always curse you Texas and Cali guys and your rust free bolts. haha. I have so many cans of PB Blaster in the garage I should just start buying my the truck load...

+1, have you tried the SeaFoam Deep Creep stuff yet Lewis? worked great on all suspension bolts i took apart last week.

Haha...will do next time I see him.

This is for my '95 PGT. We are redoing it because there is a TON of stuff that I no longer use on the wiring harness. Things like:
O2 Sensors (4 of them)
EGR
Fuel Pressure/Vacuum Solenoids
VRIS (2)
AC
PS
New injector harness (has to be wired in)
New stepper IAC for ITBs (has to be wired in)
Cam Sensor (has to be wired in for sequential injection)
Battery is in the trunk
IAC (stock one)
Neutral Safety Switch
Distributor/Coilpack
Coil on plug (has to be wired in)
Airbags
etc..

There is just a lot to remove to clean things up a bit, and with the semi-tucked wiring and everything PC'ed/Painted the engine bay should look nice, simple, clean..which is what we are going for...all of this after functional of course, lol.

yeah - bolts with a shot from the can of Liquid Wrench usually budge pretty easy down here.

And Lewis (and the others that've done this) - thanks for the support and help you give. I know 100% that I couldnt' have gotten this far without actually seeing it done.

I've already wanted to start making plans to toss a snail on the DE, and MS. I've dealt with the worst of the worst (getting the ecu pinned out........THEN doing the TCM........THEN mod'n the FS ECU to just run the body.........man what a spaghetti bowl!), so I think rewiring everything will be easier after some time passes and the wife is less pissed......lol.

Thanks again for your info man!

+1 for re-wiring *but you knew that :)). In the end you'll know what every wire does and where it goes.

ihone, I'm just trying to pay it forward with all the help I'e gotten (and continue to get) from other members. :)

JK, that's going to look (and function) awesome when you're all done. That's a good point about deleting wiring I'm not using anymore too. I've deleted the A/C already and want to ditch the PS and move the battery to the trunk as well. So I might as well rewire the engine bay for MS too. It will be a mess but in the end I think it will make it well worth it. And all the pics you posted, Jon, made it not look so intimidating. As long and Phen and Peaches give me a hand it should go smoothly.

one thing I'm still facing, and now that it's cool'ish outside - is getting the heater and ac working. AC ofcourse won't work because I don't have the compressor lines hooked up (different sized couplings) so the belt is off untiL I get that worked out.

But I still cannot get the mode to change (ie from floor to dash to defrost) and the temp does absolutely nothing to change the way it feels. Any suggestions?

one thing i'm still facing, and now that it's cool'ish outside - is getting the heater and ac working. Ac ofcourse won't work because i don't have the compressor lines hooked up (different sized couplings) so the belt is off until i get that worked out.

But i still cannot get the mode to change (ie from floor to dash to defrost) and the temp does absolutely nothing to change the way it feels. Any suggestions?

:D c

Sounds like a plan..I will be taking plenty of pics as we progress through the wiring stuff, but it won't be for a bit still, I have to get a harness to tear into. I know where one is but I have to get the guy that has it to be around so I can go get it. I will always be a function over form person, so if I have to change up the plan for something that is a little less 'clean' looking, I will, but I intend to try and hide as much as I can within reason..

ihone, I'm just trying to pay it forward with all the help I'e gotten (and continue to get) from other members. :)

JK, that's going to look (and function) awesome when you're all done. That's a good point about deleting wiring I'm not using anymore too. I've deleted the A/C already and want to ditch the PS and move the battery to the trunk as well. So I might as well rewire the engine bay for MS too. It will be a mess but in the end I think it will make it well worth it. And all the pics you posted, Jon, made it not look so intimidating. As long and Phen and Peaches give me a hand it should go smoothly.

The alternator is on the same belt as the A/C, did you just delete the A/C pump temporarily?

Hopefully someone will be able to help you out with the climate controls since I have no clue how that works. After my swap I lost 1-3 fan speeds. My fan motor goes flat out on setting 4 or nothin at all! lulz

I think I found a good KLZE supplier in Quebec. They have a really good eBay rating and a good price. $1285 shipped to my shop.
http://japandomesticmotor.com/contact.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back