Lewis7789 2002 Protege5 build thread (tons of pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the msp sway is great, However you then need the AWR 22MM sway in the rear to compensate or it will be a push monster. Never had a end link fail yet. But just like the rear I will just make it better when/if it does fail.

Would u need the AWR 22mm, with the added weight of the v6 up front. You think that would balance out the stiffer bar on its own, and then say something like clunk fix brackets in the rear to stiffen the RB swaybar and it should be pretty balanced.

Would u need the AWR 22mm, with the added weight of the v6 up front. You think that would balance out the stiffer bar on its own, and then say something like clunk fix brackets in the rear to stiffen the RB swaybar and it should be pretty balanced.

The added weight (above roll center) would only make the car want to roll more up front. How much? Don't know. I'm sure you can try to find how much increased weight is over the roll center or even if it is with math. OR, just trial and error at HSDEs. Not sure what clunk fix's are, or how that can increase stiffness, but if they can it would need to increase the spring rate transfer by quite a bit. I actually was offered a msp rear sway bar, and thought it was wimpy looking compared to the AWR (don't know actual #s just saw it was much smaller in diameter). Also the AWR has infinite adjustment (via the link clamp traveling along the sway bar ends). That alone has already paid for its self as I become more and more comfortable with the car being a bit loose (better polar moment(the more you can keep a FWD car's steering wheel straight the faster you will go)). Hope this helps. I'm learning just like you guys. That's why I cam back here. To Lewis's thread. For actual good stuff.

MSP RB is a 20mm bar, the clunk fix brackets throw the bushings out towards the wheel reducing the flex in the bar and moves it into more rotational like it should and also it reduces wear on the bushings i.e reducing the occurrence of clunking in the rear due to worn swaybar bushings known to plague the RB swaybar. While, I know everything loves AWR, I can say i am not impressed with them. Now my only experience are with their endlinks and the quality of the links is far below what they should be. Now the swaybar might be different and I believe the AWR bar is tubular while the RB is solid so the AWR does have a strength advantage right there. SO, idk I guess it would be a trial and error deal and a driver preference.

The one benefit of the AWR is that you can move the mounting points on the bar and be able to adjust it a little bit. That being said, with the mounting points at the stiffest position, it is actually stiffer than the Progress 22mm...

hey evan i got some money to send ya, but i use my dads paypal and for me to be able to send it i gotta give him the bills, which is hard to do unless im in the same state lol. i will start sending some cash as soon as i can

That clunk fix bracket is for the Racing Beat rear sway only but I'm curious as to why? Simply because of the different diameters? Wouldn't one just be able to open up the bushings a bit for the larger bar and call it a day?

And I hope these endlinks make it into production... I've heard a lot of bad things about the AWR endlinks.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123796462-GI-AAC-Protege-Adjustable-SwayBar-Endlinks

Early AWR links were loud. The revised ones aren't. But yeah, those are pretty nice too.

That clunk fix bracket is for the Racing Beat rear sway only but I'm curious as to why? Simply because of the different diameters? Wouldn't one just be able to open up the bushings a bit for the larger bar and call it a day?

And I hope these endlinks make it into production... I've heard a lot of bad things about the AWR endlinks.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123796462-GI-AAC-Protege-Adjustable-SwayBar-Endlinks

Well that would be fine to do if all the bars had the same bends. All the bars available are bent to meet the same stock bushing location, but beyond those points(out to where the clunk fix brackets use to hold the bar) is bent differently so no other bar lines up correctly.

protegebars-1.jpg

Last edited:
Ahh, that's right, Justin. Thanks for pointing that out. I don't mind the clunk but I know it drives some people batty. But I've got to get new endlinks since they are both too long for my setup. The fronts are within a mm or two of touching the LCA and the rear makes the RSB actually rest on the suspension.

Wes, are your RB endlinks universal? (I guess I could just google that s***.)

so i have the black one in the forth picture, which one is that? and do you know where i can get new bushings for it?

MAN. Thanks for this thread.

I have been SO lazy, but thanks to this thread..... today I got my 66LBS weight loss done (and some more!). And I didn't have to loose any glass (or dash). Now I am dieing for my for my Ksports to show up. Can't wait to be in front of all the miatas in my club, and in some real competition.

Well I found a cat parting out his 93 Probe GT and is going to hook me up with his harness for $60+shipping (since I sold mine to Wes for $40, doh! haha) and then i have the option for the MegaSquirt plug-n-play ECU (~$760) since they are only making them for the OBD1 KL's. OR, like Phen and I were just discussing in the garage, pulling out all the silly wiring harnesses and using my existing OBD2 KL harness and P5 harness and doing what Jon did and basically rewire the engine bay and build my own MegaSquirt for around $650.

Ideally, it would be rad to have just one harness to keep everything clean in the engine bay but that requires a lot of wiring, which I hate. Or I can take the easier route and pull the milly harness for the PGT harness, plug in the MS, get it tuned and call it a day. Hmmm...

My new position in the office allows me to do a lot of research at my desk. Muhaha.

But if you wire it yourself then you can eliminate all the BS and tuck it to make it cleaner.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back