Less is More (spoiler delete)

yeah, after looking at it more, I like it better now! I think you should take off the side mouldings too! that would pull it together

pimpprotege69 said:
I assume it leaves holes on the roof?

It does but I minimized the effect.
I put clear paint protection film over the whole top of the hatch door, then used the little bottle of touch-up paint that Mazda sent me and painted the holes from the inside. That way it's not permanent, I can still put it back on if I need to and it's sealed against the elements.

film1.JPG

film2.JPG

From behind, yes it does look nice, but I just find from side on the spoiler does it for me. In Canada the GT comes with it and the non-GT doesn't. I got the GT, identical to yours, and I wouldn't get rid of it for any reason. I was even going to get the spoiler put on if I ended up getting the non-GT.... BUT, if all the 3 5-doors in the states come with the spoiler, I would be just like you and get rid of it just for originality. If that's the case (thumb) for originality!!!!

p.s. if you're keeping it off, sell it... if what I assumed about the all the 5doors in the states having it...it'll definantly sell in Canada!

Ya definitly props for being original. Like newf said, being from Can we see a lot more of the hatches without spoilers. It mite look better in the states because less people have it, however i like the lines that it creates and having seen plenty of both, i think it looks better with it on.

Not bad. Looks different, but not bad. I think the P5 looks like absolute s*** without the spoiler though. Tried that for about an hour and I just couldn't stand it so I put it back on.

newf_709 said:
BUT, if all the 3 5-doors in the states come with the spoiler, I would be just like you and get rid of it just for originality. If that's the case (thumb) for originality!!!!

That's exactly why I did it. (2thumbs)

I know this is off topic, but sorta related to what we're talkin about. What are the models in the states for the 5 door 3s? Here we have the GT and GS.

The GT comes with17" rims, spoiler, power heated mirrors, auto wipers, 6 speaker stereo, cruise, optional sunroof, alarm, optional leather, and leather wrapped wheel & shift knob.

The GS comes with the 16" rims instead and non of the above, but everything else that the 5door 3s come with.

Thanks!

There is only one trim for US-spec Mazda3 5-door (excluding the one-off SP23 trim), and this 5-door s trim is roughly equivalent to Canadian-spec GT trim.

Gotta give you credit for daring to be different, but thought I'd throw a bit of technical info out there about your spoiler. We all know that these things (on the sedan, as well) really provide no usable downforce, so on the sedan they're pretty much ornamental..however, on hatchbacks I think this may have been a case of some actual engineering going on when a spoiler was installed. I don't own a hatch, so I'm not completely sure about the design, but on a lot of other cars like this, as well as most modern SUVs that have near-vertical rear windows, the spoiler atop the window serves to counteract the 'suction' effect that draws unwanted filth towards your back window, such as when driving on rain soaked roads or in misty conditions, or when behind a semi-truck on a rain soaked road. Spoilers like these are actually standard on a lot of cars, and their purpose is to direct air from over the roof, straight down the back window to deflect that nasty water so you retain good visibility out the back in bad driving conditions. I know that was the purpose of the 'spoilers' on the back of both my Civic Si hatchbacks. Just thought I'd throw that your way....for this reason, I woulda left it on. But it does look nice and clean....

anarchistchiken said:
Not bad. Looks different, but not bad. I think the P5 looks like absolute s*** without the spoiler though. Tried that for about an hour and I just couldn't stand it so I put it back on.
Got any pics of that? I was just thinking about doing it, but I love our 3rd brake light. (much better than that on the 3 hatch)

GimmeA3S said:
Gotta give you credit for daring to be different, but thought I'd throw a bit of technical info out there about your spoiler. We all know that these things (on the sedan, as well) really provide no usable downforce, so on the sedan they're pretty much ornamental..however, on hatchbacks I think this may have been a case of some actual engineering going on when a spoiler was installed. I don't own a hatch, so I'm not completely sure about the design, but on a lot of other cars like this, as well as most modern SUVs that have near-vertical rear windows, the spoiler atop the window serves to counteract the 'suction' effect that draws unwanted filth towards your back window, such as when driving on rain soaked roads or in misty conditions, or when behind a semi-truck on a rain soaked road. Spoilers like these are actually standard on a lot of cars, and their purpose is to direct air from over the roof, straight down the back window to deflect that nasty water so you retain good visibility out the back in bad driving conditions. I know that was the purpose of the 'spoilers' on the back of both my Civic Si hatchbacks. Just thought I'd throw that your way....for this reason, I woulda left it on. But it does look nice and clean....

I know what you're saying but I'm almost positive that this one is purely ornamental. For three main reasons:

#1: The Canadian GS model doesn't have it. If it was actually purposeful, it would be on all models.

#2: For it to provide any window-clearing, it should have an open area below the spoiler to allow the air to be redirected downward to clear the glass. All the SUV and station wagon spoilers are designed this way. This one is just a solid piece.

#3: My window got dirty as hell with the spoiler on. If anything, it's less dirty, now. AND it's easier to clean.

Last edited:
goldwing2000 said:
#3: My window got dirty as hell with the spoiler on. If anything, it's less dirty, now. AND it's easier to clean.

I agree with this comment big time.... After a little rain my car still looks clean, mostly because of the color, but when you walk around the rear it reminds me of having a black car again... the dirt is so thick it looks like s***, while the rest of the car is still shinin'.
But, I don't know what all this complaint of cleaning under this spoiler is about. I'm assuming it's not a big complaint, because cleanin under my protege spoiler was the biggest pain in the ass ever.... this car is a treat.

goldwing2000 said:
For it to provide any window-clearing, it should have an open area below the spoiler to allow the air to be redirected downward to clear the glass. All the SUV and station wagon spoilers are designed this way. This one is just a solid piece.

Yeah, this is the part I was unsure of...I've never actually looked that close at a hatch, so I didn't know if it had an air duct below it or not. Ahh, well...too bad they didn't make it functional. I wish my wing spoiler would keep the crap off the back of my car.... (uhm)

Back