Leaving vehicle running/theft question

jdolson

:
Mazda 2014 CX-5
I have a basic cx-5 2014 model. love the vehicle so far. one thing that concerns me is the habit of not needing to take the key out of the ignition. Im going to assume that if I stop at a convenience store in the cold of winter, that I had better not leave the car running even though i leave the vehicle. last night i did a test, assuming that if the vehicle was running, and the key was not present anymore that perhaps it would shutoff if i put it in drive after climbing back in.. i was wrong.

Im a little concerned at how easy it would be to drive away without a key and be stranded, or that anyone could climb in and drive away without a key even though the key is nowhere in range. Am I correct in assuming there are no limits once started ?

thanks

Once it's started it doesn't need the key to continue running, so you should certainly be careful. There are no distance limits in so far as it either senses the key or it doesn't.

You can leave the car running and lock the doors the old fashion way. Pop the key out of the fob and use it to lock the car up. This is a great solution, as its never a good idea to leave your car running and unlocked. That makes for easy pickings.

In Ill and some other States, it is illegal to leave a car running and leave it unattended.

You can leave the car running and lock the doors the old fashion way. Pop the key out of the fob and use it to lock the car up. This is a great solution, as its never a good idea to leave your car running and unlocked. That makes for easy pickings.

Or just lock it with the fob's lock button.

Leaving an unattended car running is bad mojo in general though.

Thanks Guys, when its -40 its really hard not to want to leave it running either in the driveway or at a friends to warm up a bit before jumping in and heading out. Im debating the remote start but the range just wont do it for me most of the time. Thanks all

Are the engineers that bone-headed as to not have the car locked when remote start is used? It just seems like a no-brainer to have the car lock when auto-start is used and then it unlock when you get near the car with the proximity key fob or unlock the car with the key.

If you start the car with remote start you can have it lock or unlock because as soon as you open the door the engine will shut off even if you unlock it with the fob.

This "feature" is baffling or really bone headed. Sometimes I leave my car on with the air conditioning running with elderly family inside in a hot climate when running into a store, so they don't roast while I'm in getting some things. It is totally impossible to lock the doors with the remote, so they are left with the car open! This seems totally stupid, but there seems to be no way around it. If I've got the remote with me, this should be totally possible to do. I have no idea why the engineers would have done such a "feature".

Hi left my cx5 running with out key being near transponder ended up bringing my engine inspection light on be careful as logs fault codes over 3 fault codes and on it comes

This "feature" is baffling or really bone headed. Sometimes I leave my car on with the air conditioning running with elderly family inside in a hot climate when running into a store, so they don't roast while I'm in getting some things. It is totally impossible to lock the doors with the remote, so they are left with the car open! This seems totally stupid, but there seems to be no way around it. If I've got the remote with me, this should be totally possible to do. I have no idea why the engineers would have done such a "feature".

No one is in the front passenger seat to lock the doors?

Back