Last 3 tanks 36.3 MPG, 36.5 MPG, 35.3 MPG, with an Auto

V8toilet

:
2014 CX-5 FWD Touring auto and 2012 Mazda 5 Sport
The first two tanks I kept the highway speeds down to around 60 mph and used basic hypermiling techniques like coasted down hills as much as possible if traffic allowed it and using this vehicles corning abilities to the max (fun fun). The last tank I used cruise control set at 65 MPH and let it do it's thing on the highway. On the back roads I used basic hypermiling techniques like letting it cost to red lights instead of charging them and then hitting the brakes and letting it coast to and down off ramps.

I put this up to show everyone the capabilities of the Skyactiv CX5 as long as you can drive it with enough discipline to get the most out of it. The rule of thumb is to use the brakes as little as possible without putting other drivers in danger. I tried some more advanced hypermiling techniques like P&G, shutting the engine off at long lights, and keeping the highway speeds closer to 50 MPH but those are unrealistic (especially with auto) and I do not have the patience to do that all the time; I did get 42.2 and 50 MPG on short tanks though. I used the same commute for every test to make them as comparable as possible given varying weather conditions.

You guys with the manuals have the ability to get much better MPG using techniques better sueded with a manual transmission car. Its especially easy to glide down hills in neutral. It makes me sometimes wish I had the manual until I get stuck in stop and go traffic. I know of one guy who got 70 MPG throwing the book of hypermiling at the CX5 manual.

Attachments

• 2012-08-01_15-58-38_414.jpg
    2012-08-01_15-58-38_414.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 564
Dang V8, you are killing me. My last tank was 395 miles on 11.42 gallons for an average of 34.6. I thought for sure I would close the gap a little. I can't complain though, since the trip included a lot of rush hour, stop and go driving in Portland during commute time, and a trip up to Timberline lodge on Mt Hood at 6000 ft elevation.

I use the same techniques as you - not jumping on the throttle unless really necessary, and planning ahead so I don't need to go hard on the brakes at stoplights. It really makes a difference.

Excellent! My mpg (per tank) on my 6MT = ~30 (loaded with racks, bikes, kids, wife A/C) to ~33-34ish (commuting alone) but either way I never baby it during this overall break -in period. I make sure to rev it up and down. All in all though pretty good MPG thus far (average indicated on dash = 32.9mpg) in my 2300 miles.

I think the key here is AWD.. They are considerably less fuel efficient than the FWD.

Yes diifference is about 1 MPG. Transmission, driving technique, highway speeds, headwinds and traffic conditions usually have bigger impact than awd versus fwd.

Go to the slow lane and slow down then?

Great idea! However in CX-5V and my area, the slow lane is 65-70mph. You will be creating a hazzard as the semi trucks will have to be passing you.

From my research it looks like ~40mph is the magic number for reaching the 35+mpg's.

Great idea! However in CX-5V and my area, the slow lane is 65-70mph. You will be creating a hazzard as the semi trucks will have to be passing you.

From my research it looks like ~40mph is the magic number for reaching the 35+mpg's.

Cruise set to 65 mph is how I got 35.5 mpg. Not too slow and not too fast but just right!

Just right for me is 78 mph in CA. What kind of mileage should I expect under those stead-state conditions (on cruise control)? Not exceeding 80 mph is all it takes to avoid speeding tickets around here.

I noticed a comment about throwing a manual transmission in neutral going down hill. I believe I have read that this uses more fuel because in the automatic going downhill with your foot off of the throttle the drive-train keeps the engine turning over, hence no fuel is required, while in the manual, fuel is required to keep the engine running at idle. What say y'all.

I noticed a comment about throwing a manual transmission in neutral going down hill. I believe I have read that this uses more fuel because in the automatic going downhill with your foot off of the throttle the drive-train keeps the engine turning over, hence no fuel is required, while in the manual, fuel is required to keep the engine running at idle. What say y'all.

Leave it in gear, or even downshift on severe slopes to help with braking. I've read the same as you as far as fuel mileage goes. You could check it yourself by using the cars mpg computer, and try to test it numerous times under similar conditions.

I think you're splitting hairs. Personally, when going downhill or approaching a stop, I shift to neutral when possible to conserve momentum. The friction from staying in gear kills momentum. It's good if you want engine braking but modern disk brake with abs and emergency brake assist have plenty of stopping power. It's easier and cheaper to replace brake pads too.

Just right for me is 78 mph in CA. What kind of mileage should I expect under those stead-state conditions (on cruise control)? Not exceeding 80 mph is all it takes to avoid speeding tickets around here.

I'd get about 30-31 MPG in those conditions with some city.

Back