Kumho ASX's PROBLEMS again....

02Protege'5

:
'02 P5
Im on my 1.5 set of Kumho Exsta ASX's, i bought 4 new tires from tire rack, and my p5 ate the front tires, more specificly the inside of the front tires, i bought two new tires put them on the front and got it aligned, that was some time ago, approx 9 months ago.

I was changing my oil and i noticed the insides of my asx's are being worn but not the exterior, is this due to improper alignment? the exterior of the tires are in great shape but teh tread is almost bald on the inside of these tires... it really makes me angry....

Sounds like your camber is off. the wheels are tilted a little inward, so that your tire is putting most of the car's weight on the inside of the tire...I'd take it to a tire shop and have them check the alignment and camber.

yeah, it sounds like you have too much negative camber. sounds like those kumho's have a pretty crappy treadwear rating, too. I would get an alignment and a front suspension inspection just to make sure nothing is loose or otherwise causing it to go out of alignment again.

Subbin' to see what happens, potentially buying these. It does seem as though you have some negative camber.

I have found their UTQG to be 420 but with no mileage warranty. Listen to Moonman8 and get the inspection done as well. Better than replacing two tires every 9 months.

I have these on my Altima and put 6K on them with no problems. Did you do a second alignment? Also is it lowered?

most shops you take it to to get aligned are just going to set whats adjustable. which is front and rear toe. camber is not easily adjusted and the car does have an escentric bolt like the rear toe has. to adjust camber you would have to loosen the lower strut bolts and pull out on the wheel and tighten them back up. you can usually get around .5 plus or minus that way. or have the shop install camber bolts. but most places dont wanna mess with them at all. i work for an independant shop before i got there, they wouldnt mess with lowered cars. i would suggest going to a shop that is known around town for doing alignments on lowered cars and talk to them. tell them your issues and see if they can help. they places usually charge more but you know its getting done right.

my car is not lowered, it is bone stock. I had the previous alignments done at sears, I dont have alot of time to take my car to the shop, the tires are worn bad enough at this point that i may just get 4 new 711's and then get it aligned.....

i have the same problem, the inside of my right front is smooth but the outside still has a decent amount of tread left. im pretty sure i threw the camber off bad cuz i hopped a curb (luckily i was goin slow)

There is no way with the stock adjustment to get enough negative camber to have wear problems, your problem is likely due to excessive toe and I would think toe out in your case.
Take your car in for an alignment asap and ask the guy to give you zero front and rear toe that way you have no wear problems.

The only reason the 711's last longer is they are a much harder compound. The ASX's are faily soft. You probably will not like the 711's.

The toe and camber are pretty sensative on these cars. And the toe is the only really easily adjustable part on the front end. I have also notice my car has started wearing the tires the same way. Guess that's what happens when you don't drive agressively (autocross) anymore. You could try swapping the strut tops around for less +camber.

my cars lowered and i have ZERO edge wear. alot of places sell life time alignments which on our cars its a good idea. i set my alignment every oil change and its always out in atleast one area. our cars will eat up tires if not constantly aligned

kudakev615 said:
my cars lowered and i have ZERO edge wear. alot of places sell life time alignments which on our cars its a good idea. i set my alignment every oil change and its always out in atleast one area. our cars will eat up tires if not constantly aligned

i had ecsta 711, the inside walls waisted away down to the metal had to use a dummy tire for a day, now i have the 712 and i'm really satisfied with them.

Revs said:
There is no way with the stock adjustment to get enough negative camber to have wear problems, your problem is likely due to excessive toe and I would think toe out in your case.
^^100%. camber doesn't wear out tires unless you're running a huge amount (you'd see it, and it's not achieveable on the stock suspension); toe wears out tires quick, and isn't really noticeable on a visual inspection.

i just happened to have bought a set of ASXs; so far i love 'em. dry grip seems as good as the OE dunlops (which is to say, very good), and the wet grip is outstanding (a huge improvement).

Last edited:
I just ordered some ASXs. I got them because they are one of the few tires under $100 with a warranty, 30,000mi. They have a tread rating of 420 which is above most, so I'm hoping these last me a while.

ok check this out, I have been having this problem with all of my tires. and I realized how to adjust it when I got new struts.

On the front struts you have 4 bolts and connect right under the hood. same place the strut tower bar connects. here you will find a white dot. at one of the 4 bolts. if you raise you car, drop the strut and turn the plate so the white dot is at a different location, it changes your camber. I have a picture of mine attached so you know what to look for. I think I will change mine to the way another protege forum members looks like since he has less problems with his tread wear.

the attachment was taken from the passanger side strut looking at it from the front of the car, the white dot is mirrir opposite on the driver side. while playing with the strut I noticed that it totaly threw off the camper from what im used to. so i just put it back to what it was stock.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• P8300082.JPG
    P8300082.JPG
    636.4 KB · Views: 113
when you adjust camber you also throw the toe setting for sure and maybe your caster. i dont recommend doing this at all with out the car on an alignment machine

Back