kenwood or alpine

ards

:
2003.5 P5
new to this forum, i want to install an Alpine cda-7894 and they told me that it won't fit ( from crutchfield ) , but a kenwood excelon kdc-659 would do, any comments before getting the kenwood?

Well, the Kenwood has higher preamp voltage, so that's nice. All and all, they are very similar units according to Crutchfield. I have never been disappointed with either Kenwood or Alpine headunits. My last Alpine, which is now almost 8 years old, is still running in a friend's truck and it sounded great when I had it. My last Kenwood (Excelon KDC-x715, three years old) was running strong and sounding great when I took it out of my Eclipse a month ago. So, basically it comes down to you. If Crutchfield says the Alpine won't fit, that means you'll probably need a kit and it'll stick out from the dash a little, but if you want no hassle drop-in stuff go with the Kenwood. I really don't think you'll be disappointed with either unit, IMHO.

Hey, thanks for the info because I would be calling crutchfield today and order the units along with my speakers.

Ards, first welcome to the forum.

Second, I have used both Kenwood and Alpine headunits. In my previous car I had a Kenwood Excelon from their 1999 series. I just put in an Alpine CDA-7995 in my P5. Both of these head-units will fit, however you will have to use a dash kit to put them both in. Pretty much any standard Single-DIN head unit will fit in a Protege5/Protege. If you have an MP3, the Alpine or any other DIN will fit using the factory pocket (I used an MP3 pocket, when putting one in my P5). For what it's worth, I did comparison shopping and settled on the Alpine because of the way it felt, the way it worked, and the features. Although both Kenwood Excelon and Alpine decks will keep you very happy. I guess I just prefer the Alpine, but that's just me.

If jrodhotrod can fit his Alpine then you can fit the 7894. Crutchfield said it wouldn't fit becuase the alpine in there records lists as 6 7/8"s deep and the protege is only listed as 6 3/8"s deep. They play it conservative. either will fit.
I'd get the Alpine, it has better reliablilty and SQ.

My Alpine 7894 rocks don't take anything less(rockon)

I had no issue's fitting it in, Crutchfield is wrong.
However you might wish to use a support bracket on back of radio with a rubber grommet to ensure it will never skip. Roads suck in Alaska and my radio has never skipped.

Last edited:
it's great to have you guys around, thanks. So I might be ending up with an alpine.I just bought this new protege lx and starting to build myself a system for SQ. Next would be my speakers.
Hey, I'm also from AK.

You may want to hit a local audio store that sells both so you can listen to them side by side first. They might be able to knock enough off the price or give you the harnesses for free to beat crutchfield. I wouldn't but they might.
Kenwoods a Good peice but they are better for feature per dollar and alpine is better SQ per dollar. FOr example Kenwood gives you preset EQ curves which will just boost and cut signals sometimes adding distortion. ALpine gives you time correction which is much harder to set up right but can have greater benifits. Listen and play with each first.

The alpine that i would be getting doesn't have any EQ curves which is just my drawbacks unless I'd go for the alpine cda-7897 for a couple hundred dollars more if its really worth it. I love kenwood's system q EX but still not sure about it's overall quality.

ards said:
The alpine that i would be getting doesn't have any EQ curves which is just my drawbacks unless I'd go for the alpine cda-7897 for a couple hundred dollars more if its really worth it. I love kenwood's system q EX but still not sure about it's overall quality.

Right, the Kenwood has the curves. The alpine has the time correction.

OK guys, I got the alpine along with the changer and this should be the start of my system. I hope I could install them just fine.They would be arriving next week.

Congrats. I think you'll be very happy with your alpine. I'll probably be adding the MP3 changer to mine sometime in the future. That would be like having a 50 CD Jukebox in the trunk with MP3s recorded at 192kbps. Even more if you sacrificed on quality, but 192 is where the acceptable compromise is for me.

yes it is a cha-s634 6 disc changer with the mp3 capability. I also included the alpine auxilliary input that connects inbetween the changer and the deck so i could connect my laptop.

Back